What's new

Fox/MGM to release 50 BD Titles by year's end? (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
Wow, I didn't see a thread here, but I just saw that Ron Epstein had posted this morning on another forum that he was at a Fox BD event recently, and that 50 Fox/MGM titles would be released on BD by year's end?

What do you guys think? I mean there are, what, 8 titles announced by Fox for mid-November...might we be seeing 8 titles every Tuesday from Fox until the end of the year...or is this a misprint? I guess 8 titles/week would get you to 50 by the end of the year, but this would really aggressive.

This would be amazing if 1.)the quality is great 2.)the 50 titles are actually released.

Bodes well for the format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They can release 50 Fox titles all they want, but I'm not buying many of them with a MSRP of $39.98. Just because I'm an early adopter, it doesn't mean I have to pay through the nose for software. I've been a big supporter of Fox in the past, but over the next three months or so I will buy more competitively priced software from other studios and simply wait until the price drops because Fox isn't selling enough units because their price point for catalog titles is $10 more than their competition. From my POV, that $10.00 savings is half of the price of buying an additional title that has a more reasonable price.

Crawdaddy

DanR

Supporting Actor
Crawdaddy,

I hear ya, but are you saying that you really are going to stay away from a particular Fox release if it is 1.)one of your favorite movies 2.)has impeccable 1080P Video and HiRes Audio (with lossless sound) all on account of $10?

Me, I cannot wait. Lack of titles is the major reason i haven't jumped into either format. But if the quality is there and there is good selection, I'll jump in head long. I really see myself one day coming home with ~40 HD discs when I make the plunge.

Regards,
Dan

MarekM

Supporting Actor
wow 50 titles ? if all other studios will put up together another 50 titles, we have 100 additional titles before the end of the year ? thats sound very agressive hmm, and I like that .....

Marek

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dan,
Those $10 savings for each title do add up. What I'm saying is of the following titles that Fox is releasing in their initial Blu-ray releases there is only one of them that I have to have in my film library which is "Speed". If those Fox catalog titles were priced like Warner, Paramount and Sony titles, I would've also preordered "Behind Enemy Lines", "Fantastic Four" and "Kiss of the Dragon". However, due to Fox's pricing strategy, I won't buy those fringe titles so instead of Fox getting me to buy four of their releases, I'm only buying one of them and will wait for Fox to reduce their pricing. I believe my patience will pay off in the end because Fox isn't the only dog in this hunt and sooner or later, the lack of sales will force Fox to join their competitors in more reasonable software pricing. The same thing happened with HD DVD, when Universal's software was priced too high and they saw the error of their way and reduced their pricing to be competitive with the other studios. This Christmas season, consumers do have a choice and they need to exercise their right to influence the market to their benefit by voting with their dollars.

Behind Enemy Lines (Fox)
Fantastic Four (Fox)
Kingdom of Heaven (Fox)
Kiss of the Dragon (Fox)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Fox)
The Omen 2006 (Fox)
Speed (Fox)
The Transporter (Fox)
Ice Age: The Meltdown (Fox)

Crawdaddy

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, Amazon pricing puts Fox BDs at $27.95 ($12 off list), which means they're $8 more than average BDs or HD DVDs, and only $4 more than some BDs and HD DVD combos. The savings are even better if you've got the 10% off deal from previously ordering a player or 3 discs. I don't know if that's enough to change your mind, but that's 40% off. Call me a sucker, but I still think HD on disc for less than 30 bucks is a good deal.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Bond, James Blu-ray Bond :)

I hope those are a big chunk of the planned titles.
THAT would be VERY cool
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been buying my HD product from Amazon since the beggining and it's still a $10 difference as I can buy a Sony, Warner or Paramount BRD for $17.95.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
While at AVS I recall somebody saying that 'year's end' could mean 'end of fiscal year,' which is well into 2007. i have no idea if that's true or not but I thought it was worth mentioning.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

well, end of year is end of year, if it was fiscal year that will be mentioned for sure..

marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor
new FOX TITLES
Dec. 12/15

http://www.foxbd.com/

Flight of the Phoenix
Rising Sun
From Hell
Omen 666
Entrapment
The Sentinel

hmm not great, but crash sequence of phoenix ;) can test quality of authoring ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

Seems I have been taken to task on my statement of 50
Blu-Ray titles by year's end.

I'm fairly certain of what was announced, but for the sake
of absolute certainty, I am looking to get clarification on this.

Check back to this thread later today.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ron:

did you see a listing of anything? The Bond films?
The X-Men trilogy? Rocky series?

Any information is appreciated

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter,

I have heard of many titles that are now slated for release
from both Fox and Disney, but out of respect for the studios,
I am unable to talk about any of them till officially announced.

I will say its a rather impressive slate -- certainly better than
what has so far been introduced to the market.

I think these studios have finally realized that they need to
appease the early adopter rather than trying to satisfy the
overall public with "generalized" releases that don't interest
the people actually buying the hardware at this time.

This is a format war, after all, and both sides should be
putting their best foot forward in releasing GREAT titles that
early adopters actually want to own. I think that the Blu-Ray
studios are actually working to meet that ideology.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I would love for MGM to release Michael Mann's "Thief". The SD release was non-anamorphic and looked pretty bad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At the prices some of them are charging for their BRD, they need to be appeasing the early adopter, especially if they want people like me to buy some their discs.

Crawdaddy

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Saw this on AVS Forum. Fox titles tenatively set for 12/15:

Flight of the Phoenix
Rising Sun
From Hell
Omen 666
Entrapment
The Sentinel

I don't know about anyone else, but here are six reasons on why NOT to get a Blu-Ray player anytime soon.

If Fox is so gung ho on this format, why are they releasing such mediocre to bad titles? And charging $40 retail for them? Come on. If they're going to unleash this junk onto the early adopter, at least throw in one or two decent titles to the mix.

I'm getting a Blu-Ray player soon, but from the look of things, the majority of my buying will still be in the HD DVD camp.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are other studios like Warner, Paramount, Sony and Lionsgate supporting Blu-ray with more reasonable pricing.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I posted those news several post up in the thread,.......
and I agree that those are not good titles.......

hopefully better ones will come soon......

Marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks