What's new

Fox/MGM announce 19 titles for BD this Fall (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, Fox announced The Hills Have Eyes 2 today. I swear, sometimes I think these guys sit around in a room and try to come up with the least appealing film possible. All I can say is that they'd better announce 28 Weeks Later and/or Sunshine, too.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yawn. FOX, and its old pricing ways. FOX had the most expensive LDs, DVDs (at the start), and now BDs!
Hills Have Eyes 2 for 30 bucks! Oh yea, i can see them fly off the shelf! NOT!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I've posted this on AVS, but it bears repeating:

The Fox online store is starting to list some of their upcoming titles, all for 31.95 (this is the price for all of their BDs). Here is the breakdown given for The Fly:

Widescreen Feature
Commentary by David Cronenberg
Optional Trivia Track
Fly BD-J Game
Deleted Scenes
Trailers & TV Spots

Anybody who is familiar with the $15 2 disc SE they have out for The Fly knows what this list is missing, namely the awesome feature length documentary.

But hey, at least we get a nifty Java game!

Good to know they are taking advantage of the capacity available to them.

C'mon Fox - they keep releasing killer two disc SD stuff for under $15, while putting the screws to HD fans.....

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator

They're doing this because they know they can double dip in the future, and suckers will buy it again.

Fox's announcement of RoboCop on BD is an example. A few days ago, a new DVD came out with the uncut version as well as the theatrical cut. If the BD of RoboCop doesn't have the uncut version, I'm not buying, because I know it will come in the future.

If a DVD is out that is better than a BD release, I'm going to wait, because I'm not going to buy it twice.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't necessarily think it's Fox that's just doing this. Most of the BR discs I've seen and bought have MUCH MUCH MUCH less in terms of the extras than the previous DVD.

Kingdom of Heaven anyone? Fifth Element is this way as well.
Master and Commander will be that way too. They put out a most excellent 2 disc SE that I will keep due to this policy(and I don't like it).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Great news! This was high on my list, since I haven´t seen the film yet. "28 Weeks Later" and "Sunshine" would be a non-brainer for the company..

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's a definite must have.

Tim Burton has been well represented on the high def formats so far. We need ED WOOD ,BEETLEJUICE and his BATMAN pictures soon!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HTF Staff views any comments such as "Blu-boys" or "Fox sucks" as "war-talk". If you can't express your thoughts without using such terms then it's best not to do so outside of the two designated threads. Thank you.

The HTF Staff

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I heard it said that the reason for these (and the Spiderman bare bones I & II) has less to do with Fox and more to do with the scarcity/price of BD50's. This seems reasonable to me.

Juan C

Second Unit
Most studios, whether they support Blu-ray, HD DVD or are neutral:

(a) Put a list price on catalog titels of $10 less than new releases;

(b) Include in the hidef disc most or all of the bonus content included in the SD DVD edition.

Fox does nothing of the above. They set everything at $39.95 (28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later have the same list price!) and drop a lot of the extras.

Am I allowed to say that Fox Blu-ray product strategy sucks?

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
This is exactly the sort of thing that this community should be taking a stand on, not the petty bickering about formats. The studios must not be allowed to get away with high definition releases that fall short in terms of content that the standard definition releases had.

Quite simply, every hi-def release should have at minimum the same content as the best of the standard-def releases for that title, with added hi-def picture and a lossless sound option.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, why is that as soon as I invest in BD it seems like a lot of not so great news.

The lack of extras does not bother me so much because most of what I would upgrade to, I already have the feature packed SD DVDs. But these prices are going to make me think twice especially since double dips are inevatable (although you never really do know for sure and possibly just end up waiting)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I wrote this elsewhere, but its pertinent to this thread...

This is really just the same old crap Fox pulled in the early days of DVD. When DVDs had a retail of $25 & $30 Fox entered the game with recycled non-anamorphic transfers for a premium of $35.

None of us with long memories were surprised by Fox's bare-boned, MPEG2 $40 blu-rays. I did wonder now they're getting around to finally releasing a second wave, if they might have seen some light about pricing, espcially for catalog titles. I should have known better!

Fox did eventually turn into a great DVD company. But in the beginning, their releases were appalling. Looks like history might be repeating itself here, with Fox taking a page from King Leonidas' book in 300 -

"Give them nothing - but take from them everything!!"

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I'll agree about being overpriced (which is going to eliminate my purchase of a bunch of their borderline "like to have" titles) and I also strongly support that all studios should include all the extras from previous DVD release.

However according to those specs The Fly doesn't look "feature stripped" to me.

Personally I could do without the gimmicks like the Java games, internet features, PIP but the studios seem to think these bell & whistles will be the main selling point to the masses and not the jump in quality for PQ/AQ.

Frankly I've come to the realization that these companies look on us HDM adopters as little more than a bunch of meaningless beta testers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks