What's new

Fox- journey to the center of the earth... (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
whew! I was unable to be at the chat, and was glad to see that some of you put the question to Peter....thanks guys.
after all these years this film holds up better n' most of these CGI extravaganzas
(thanks in no small part to the overlooked work of the late L.B. ABBOTT-FOXs' in house SPFX guy) who was assisted by emil kosha jr, and howard lydecker over the years...
most of his FX never looked fake, and had a surreal, otherworldly quality about them....well, excepting LOGANS RUNs obviously minature city...probably a budget decision
lets hope we do see this in '02 if not earlier...
------------------

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
For todd s
Immediately before the raft goes between the magnetic poles there is a jump-cut. What was CENSORED was Pat Boone singing THE FAITHFULL HEART, missing since the roadshow release. That song is credited in the opening titles and missing in all post roadshow and all video releases.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Pat Boone sang another song in the film called "Twice as Tall". It's also listed in the credits (by Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen), and it's on the original soundtrack released in 1997, but I don't know if it was ever seen in the film itself. He does a "bum-bum-ba-dum" version of it in the scene where he's taking a shower in the watery grotto.
--Bill

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Peter,
Here's another vote for JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, one of my all time favorite Fox CinemaScope four track magnetic stereo productions. Hope we can get it in 4.0. I saw this as a double feature with Irwin Allen's THE LOST WORLD when I was a kid. Allen re-used some of the same standing sets from JOURNEY. I would also like to put in a vote for THE ROBE, both the CinemaScope version and the flat version (two separate versions were shot). It would be great to have both versions on one dvd for comparison. The performances and music are different in each version. Thanks!
Jeff
------------------

L. W. Cobb

Agent
I want to stand up and be counted in the group that pines for a "Journey to the Center of the Earth" release.
On a side note, I want to thank Fox, and especially Peter Staddon, for being so kind (and generous!) to the HTF members, and for hosting us for such terrific events. It's easy to figure why Fox Home Entertainment consistently releases the best DVD product- the folks in charge (i.e. the aforementioned Mr. Staddon) really do care about the desires of the consumer, and treat their film assests with the proper respect. We are so lucky to have a real film fan in a position to release on DVD the finest films in a great studio's vault.
[Edited last by L. W. Cobb on August 02, 2001 at 05:36 AM]

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
Re songs in To The Center Of The Earth;
I was surprised to find that the Pat Boone song "To The Center Of The Earth" was not in the film when I got it on VHS many years ago.
Was that song never in the film?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Fully restore the negatives and soundtrack and put DTS on that puppy and I'll bite!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
Gunnar and Bill
Neither song was used in the original roadshow edition, which I saw on its first run at the Fox Senator Theater in Sacramento California.

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
Thanks William,
I was sure I had heard it in the film at the time. But it's 40 years ago, so I guess I had just heard it on the radio and got it mixed up...

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Thanks, William. I envy you seeing it in all its CinemaScope glory. I saw it many years later in a theater in the early '70's at a kiddie matinee, but it had faded badly and turned completely pink. One more reason to look forward to the widescreen DVD.
The songs are good, and it was enjoyable to hear them on the soundtrack album, but even Pat Boone must agree that they would've slowed down the movie badly. Maybe they can be included as deleted scenes if the footage still exists?
--Bill

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Well, to be truthful, anytime Pat sings it slows things down... :)
But I simply must have this movie...saw it first run when I was ten and have been hooked ever since....

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Put me down for a copy and from the chat with Peter, it looks like we might just get this after all.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

michael deakin

Deceased Member
Real Name
Michael Charles Deakin
Hi guys.
Put me down for this title. I have been waiting so long for this film to appear in it's full splendor. Is it possible my wait could almost be over. Mike :)
------------------

DaveX

Agent
I would also like this title on DVD. I watched it early this year on tape, and was surprised to find out it really is an amazing film, especially for its time.
Fox, please hear us.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Let me just chime in here and voice my enthusiastic desire for a dvd release of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.... fellow HTFer Bill Huelbig and I have been waiting for this title since the format's inception, so Mr. Staddon's positive response to our request was thrilling to say the least. An isolated score would be nice, but since I already have the soundtrack on CD, I'd much rather have a (surviving) cast/crew commentary. And if we could get a transfer on par with NORTH BY NORTHWEST, I'd be dizzy with joy....
blush.gif

"I'm like a steeple in the sky
with a brand new ringing bell
What I mean is I'm in love, can't you tell?
If I felt any better I couldn't
If I felt any better I shouldn't
If I felt any better I wouldn't be well..."

------------------
My collection:
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Bump to top...
"If we had some shears, we could cut it off" James Mason to Arlene Dahl...(or was it the other way around...)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I'd buy this instantly if released on DVD. It was maybe the most surprising oft mentioned film of the chat (3x). And gloriously, Peter Staddon seemed sympathetic. Go Peter Go.
Please, please.
DL

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Nothing new to say about this classic - just wanted to bump it back up to the first page and hopefully get some more comments on it. I know you haven't forgotten about it, Peter!
--Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks