What's new

Fox- journey to the center of the earth... (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the 1959 version w/ James Mason...please- a dedicated edition (not a double feature) with an isolated Bernard Herrman score)
While youre at it, ONE MILLION BC/THE LOST WORLD(1960) double feature, If you cannot see doing OMBC as a standalone...
------------------

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
Oh Yes!
I haven't seen it properly since back in 1960 (I was 13 at the time) when it played in cinemas over here.
That's another P&S VHS copy that I'd be more than happy to put out of its misery...
------------------

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
OMYBC should be an SE with an extensive still gallery-or an option to watch it a little less rug-ged.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I'm hoping Peter Staddon has some good news for us fans of this great movie next week.
If you ask me to name a Fox movie off the top of my head, the first to come to mind is always JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. Bernard Herrmann's score is one of the best ever written.
--Bill

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
A big YES vote from me for a JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH SE DVD.
ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. deserves to be a stand-alone title, in the exact format Jeff Ulmer suggested. :)
Rather than teaming the 1960 version of THE LOST WORLD with ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. in a double-feature DVD, LOST WORLD should instead be lumped with another enjoyable Irwin Allen all-star cheese-fest, FIVE WEEKS IN A BALLOON. A much better fit.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I agree. HOWEVER!
I suspect that FOX may thematically view ONE MILLION BC as double-feature cheese also...Thus, the Lost World...(Dinos)
They lumped FANTASTIC VOYAGE in with VOYAGE-TTBOT-SEA, (Subs)
and many thought FV deserved SE treatment...
but we can all agree that JOURNEY deserves SE treatment what with the score,
the distinquished JAMES MASON, the lovely ARLENE DAHL. a great story-great effects....Hans....Gertrude....
and, oh yes....Pat Boone.....singing
eek.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on July 19, 2001 at 12:07 AM]

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I have the laser to JTTCOTE but would gladly trade it in for the DVD.
A Double Feature of Lost World/One Million Years B.C. would be icing on the cake!

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to support getting this great film on DVD. A special edition of this would be great if any added value material is available for a film this old, or if anything new could be created. This is a movie I have been hoping would come to DVD for a long time and it is nice to see I am not alone in wanting this movie.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH is an absolute must for DVD! And yes, the Bernard Herrmann score should be offered on an isolated track.
------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Journey To the Center of the Earth was one of the defining moments of my childhood (I was 9 at the time) - along with 7th Voyage of Sinbad.
A sure buy for me...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
For those who may not know this, or who cannot wait the year of two it may take- FOX put out a very nice remastered LD of JTTCOTE (3rd edition) in late 1998.
The picture looks wonderfull. and they kept the two 'extra' UK version scenes at the end. As for the deleted scene where Pat Boone breaks into song in the middle of a Dimetrodon attack, well, sure Id like to see it...
tongue.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on August 04, 2001 at 06:48 PM]

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
During last nights (7/31) Fox chat, Peter Staddon said he and his studio had overlooked this "gem," and it sounds as though he will be encouraging the powers that be to begin work on it for DVD release.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I'm sure Pat Boone would love to do a commentary - he co-produced the film and didn't take any screen credit for it. It would be great to hear from Arlene Dahl and Diane Baker too. Also Peter Ronson, even if he only speaks Icelandic :)
--Bill

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Yes indeed - what a great film. Now that this "overlooked gem" has been rediscovered, let's look forward to its release next year.
The laser disc of Journey was very good with AC3 soundtrack.
I too would like to see The Lost World with Claude Rains released (I have never seen this in widescreen) and Five Weeks In A Balloon, which I think a lot of people tend to forget about- but again it is a fabulous film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks