What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Ken (Koc),
I appreciate your posts in this thread. I am looking for the copy of BLINDFOLD you mentioned buying. Can you help me find a store selling it? Thanks, Mike

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I don't know about a Spanish release of Blindfold, but there is a very good French edition from Universal (anamorphic OAR) that's available through Amazon.fr.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Looking around e-bay I see Spain also has the 1956 23 Paces To Baker Street. The spec say it's 2.35 anamorphic & stereo, but you really need to see it to be sure, or read about it here.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
The only retailer that seems to stock 23 Paces to Baker Street is El Corte Ingles here. That would suggest it's some sort of exclusive.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Livius /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/90#post_3662466
The only retailer that seems to stock 23 Paces to Baker Street is El Corte Ingles http://www.elcorteingles.es/cine/productos/producto/producto.asp?Cod_Referencia=25941223494
Any more info about Violent Saturday? Any idea if it is OAR / 16:9?
That same site has Violent Saturday listed for release on March 17:
http://www.elcorteingles.es/cine/productos/producto/producto.asp?cod_referencia=25941225697#
Pretty crazy cover art:

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I think that's a fantastic cover for Violent Saturday. If this and 23 Paces to Baker Street are good transfers I'd have most of the Fox movies I badly want.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
There's some screen caps from the Spanish Rains of Ranchipur DVD here:
http://www.mundodvd.com/showthread.php?t=71722

It looks close to OAR (2.55:1) and 16:9 encoded to me. It looks far better than the crappy TCM copy I have.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It really says a lot when we can not support the continuing releases of Fox films on DVD and Spain can. This is very sad indeed./img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
Indeed, "23 Paces to Baker Street" is sold exclusively in El Corte Ingles, for now. This edition preserves his oar with anamorphic enhancement, but the image quality is mediocre, with an ugly color shifted to yellow.

"The Rains of Ranchipur", however, looks very good.

For the titles announced for March, is rumored to keep his oar, but without anamorphic enhancement.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That's a shame about 23 Paces To Baker Street. It shows up quite regularly in England on Channel Four/Film Four/More Four in a very nice looking 'scope & stereo transfer, in fact it's on in a couple of weeks time.

I'm tempted to buy The Rains Of Ranchipur. A romantic melodrama is something I'd normally run a mile from, but I dunno, there's something so exotic about this, it's so.....'50's Hollywood, if you know what I mean. A bit expensive, but then I'm buying so many great films on DVD for under £5 these days, the odd spalsh-out is allowed, & it's not like it's a DVD-R!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Twist
target="_blankhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/86932/width/1000/height/500">

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
That's a pretty hazy looking image. I guess that was from a cable TV transfer?

According to this website:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.dvdgo.com/dvd-sabado-tragico/1685029/152722&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhinKoOI24v_wfazNO6AEf6Dnb4BRg

Violent Saturday is 2.35:1, but only 4:3 encoded. It should be 2.55:1 and 16:9. This probably means they are using an old transfer TV and not the preservation that was made in 2008.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Great news about "The Bounty Hunter" this will complete my Scott/DeToth set.
Re the Fox titles I can confirm that "One Foot In Hell" is scope throughout and is an excellent
print. Pony Soldier is fine and Powder River is exceptional especially for lovers of early 50s
saturated colour.City Of Bad Men is slightly pale and there are some minor imperfections but
overall pretty good.All of the aforementioned are better quality than the US copy of White Feather which I find very palid.On Pony Soldier when location shots revert to studio filmed
inserts the process work is very weak;typical of Fox product at the time.Regarding City Of Bad
Men top billed Jeanne Crain has precious little screen time.The supporting cast of Western bad
guys is awesome.I did not realise Powder River is based on the same source material as Alan
Dwans Frontier Marshall and John Fords My Darling Clementine.Though the characters are
not Earp & Holliday this time round many scenes are lifted from the two previous films.The colour scenery is stunning.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by benbrigade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that "One Foot In Hell" is scope throughout and is an excellent
print.
Is it anamorphic?
I have to say I agree with your assessment of the other titles you mentioned. All the prints were more than acceptable to me. I've been holding off on One Foot in Hell as I couldn't work out whether or not it's anamorphic.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Let's hope so, then I can give my Spanish DVD away as a Christmas pressy. The Rains Of Ranchipur arrived today. I did a spot check & it looks & sounds great. You have to feel sorry for the Spanish, as with this & The Egyptian, the English sound is really good (I tried both with headphones), great stereo & really punchy sound, but switch over to Spanish & you get this tinny mono sound at really quite a low level.
Originally Posted by Livius /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
The upcoming French release of Rio Conchos looks like it might be in the correct aspect ratio, according to

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks