What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Marcel H. /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/60#post_3653098
Speaking of Warner. Anyone noticed their release lists for January and February in Spain? Are these released via Impulso as well?

Westward the Women (1951)
The Fastest Gun Alive (1950) - yeah, I know there's an Archive disc
The Sea of Grass (1947)!!!
Silver River (1948)
Desperate Journey (1942) - semi-announced for 2010 by Warner in the States
The Citadel (1938) - strange cover - checked the Spanish retailers, seems to be a real DVD
Tortilla Flat
Tea and Sympathy
I've wanted Westward the Women forever...maybe this means it's coming to the archive soon.

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
Originally Posted by Marcel H. /img/forum/go_quote.gif">

Speaking of Warner. Anyone noticed their release lists for January and February in Spain? Are these released via Impulso as well? 05.01
Silver River (1948)

The Citadel (1938) - strange cover - checked the Spanish retailers, seems to be a real DVD

Tortilla Flat
Tea and Sympathy
Yes, all the titles on your list are Impulse / Warner editions. The quality ranges from acceptable to mediocre. Unfortunately, the masters that they use are all too reminiscent of old VHS tapes

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco

Speaking of Warner. Anyone noticed their release lists for January and February in Spain? Are these released via Impulso as well? 05.01
Silver River (1948)

Tortilla Flat
Tea and Sympathy
Yes, all the titles on your list are Impulso / Warner editions. The quality ranges from acceptable to mediocre. Unfortunately, the masters that they use are all too reminiscent of old VHS tapes

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco

Silver River (1948)

Tortilla Flat
Tea and Sympathy
Yes, all the titles on your list are Impulso / Warner editions. The quality ranges from acceptable to mediocre. Unfortunately, the masters that they use are all too reminiscent of old VHS tapes

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
Yes, all the titles on your list are issues Impulse / Warner. The quality ranges from acceptable to mediocre. Unfortunately, the masters that they use are all too reminiscent of old VHS tapes.
Especially, "Tea and Sympathy" is a horrible edition, very blurry.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Twist /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/60#post_3653199
Yes, all the titles on your list are Impulse / Warner editions. The quality ranges from acceptable to mediocre. Unfortunately, the masters that they use are all too reminiscent of old VHS tapes
Looks like Tea & Sympathy is going to be 1.85:1, so that one isn't worth buying.
Have you heard anything about The Roots of Heaven (Las Raíces del Cielo) I have read that it is 2.35:1 anamorphic, but have you heard about the quality?

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Simon Howson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard anything about The Roots of Heaven (Las Raíces del Cielo) I have read that it is 2.35:1 anamorphic, but have you heard about the quality?
That's on its way to me at the moment. I should have it in a week at the outside.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Livius /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/60#post_3653213
That's on its way to me at the moment. I should have it in a week at the outside.
Excellent. I look forward to reading your comments. It is a film I have wanted to see for ages.

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
"The Roots of Heaven" (Impulso/Fox): 2.35:1, anamorphic, good quality transfer.
"Tea and Sympathy" (Impulso/Warner): 2.35:1, not anamorphic, very poor transfer: fuzzy, ugly color...
Generally, the editions of Impulso/ Fox Classics are better than the editions of Impulse / Warner Classics. Impulso often used bad masters for Warner titles, probably intended for outdated tv broadcasts, not to produce dvds.

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
New releases Impulso/Fox (March, 2010):

"Violent Saturday" (R. Fleischer,1955)
"100 Rifles" (T. Gries, 1969)
"The Eve of St. Mark" (J. M. Stahl, 1944)
"The Siege at Red River" (R. Maté, 1954)
"Hudson Bay" (I. Pichel, 1940)
"Tender Is The Night" (H. King, 1962)
"Kaleidoscope" (I. Kershner, 1966)

Not yet know details about formats.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for the update, Francisco.
If the transfers are good, Violent Saturday and Tender Is The Night will be automatic purchases for me.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
If Violent Saturday is presented properly I'll be getting it. Siege at Red River interests me too.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Livius /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/60#post_3654362
If Violent Saturday is presented properly I'll be getting it. Siege at Red River interests me too.
Fox restored Violent Saturday 2 years ago. Hopefully Impulso were able to get the restored master.
Originally Posted by Robin9 /forum/thread/294636/fox-is-still-releasing-a-lot-of-classic-in-spain-never-released-in-usa/60#post_3654299
Thank you for the update, Francisco.
If the transfers are good, Violent Saturday and Tender Is The Night will be automatic purchases for me.
Same here!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Livius
I just got my hands on The Roots of Heaven and it's certainly anamorphic and OAR. I only took a quick look through but it looks very nice indeed.
Here are a few screencaps to give some idea of how the image is:
Thanks very much for the effort. Those captures look great, this is obviously a good preservation of the film that Fox just never bothered to release in R1. I'm going to have to get this soon. I think I'll wait and see if their release of Violent Saturday is any good.
I think Impulso also released The Lion (Le Leon) which I have told is an under rated CinemaScope adventure film.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the The Roots of Heaven's cinematogrpaher Oswald Morris has an interesting account of the production in his memoirs, aptly titled Huston, We Have a Problem:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huston-Have-Problem-Kaleidoscope-Filmmaking/dp/0810857065

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Livius
I just got my hands on The Roots of Heaven and it's certainly anamorphic and OAR. I only took a quick look through but it looks very nice indeed.
Livius - Does it have the original stereo soundtrack?

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Tea and Sympathy is not 1.85 but the original aspect ratio.....The transfer looks as though it's from the laser.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks