What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I did not know about the Universal films. Are they out yet? What are the titles in Spanish? I did pick up 40 Pounds of Trouble and Blindfold. Both anamorphic.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I did not know about the Universal films. Are they out yet? What are the titles in Spanish? I did pick up 40 Pounds of Trouble and Blindfold. Both anamorphic.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ken, what about the transfer of those titles? They restored the films?

About the Universal titles, they will both be released on December 3rd.Hold Back the Dawn is "Si No Amaneciera" - http://www.moviesdistribucion.com/dvd/ficha/?Si+no+Amaneciera To Each His Own is "Vida íntima de Julia Norris" - http://www.moviesdistribucion.com/dvd/ficha/?Vida+%CDntima+de+Julia+Norris+%28V%2EO%2ES%2E%29

Universal is also releasing Douglas Sirk's There's Always Tomorrow, with Stanwyck, MacMurray and Joan Bennett.

I wonder how all those transfers are, because I intend to get them all;

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Ken, Yes I'm curious to learn your opinion of the prints transfered too. Does anyone know if ONE FOOT IN HELL is in full CinemaScope all the way through? By the way, does anyone know any details about the MGM dvd-r releases coming out soon like THE GROUP and DREAMCHILD? Are they 16:9 Wide Screen? Thanks, Mike

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Rafael The transfers of the films look good. Too bad they are not anamorphic. ( Rains of Ranchipur ( anamorphic looks excellent!)
A few months ago I bought a Douglas Sirk boxset in Zurich. ALL I DESIRE / THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW and INTERLUDE. The packaging and transfers of the films are very good. CAPTAIN LIGHTFOOT / TARNISHED ANGELS and .BATTLE HYMN. From a company called Crest I bought BY LOVE POSSESSED 1.85 and anamorphic and THE BEST MAN and THE YOUNG SAVAGES 1.85 not anamorphic. ANDROCLES AND THE LION fullscreen.

Mike I am not sure about One Foot In Hell but I can check for you.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Also I purchased TORA TORA TORA in Blue Ray. It contains both the American version as well as the extended Japanese version.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Two friends of mine just got their copies of the Spanish Forever amber and both of theirs are full screen

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Ken, I have checked with bothof my sources, one of whom has written extensively about Forever amber in several publications.

ONe has the Fox VHS cassette and an amc broadcast and the other has also the Fox vidcasette.

They say the picture area is the same on vids and the new Spanish dvd.
Something must be wrong with your equipment.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Nope. I have another friend who just emailed me about this travesty....but Joe go ahead and buy it...see for yourself.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
well, Ken. They both know this film like the back of their hands. they both have done comparisons. neither is on this forum and neither can do frame grabs to show you. But they are both fine with their discs and see no problem.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I dunno, just a thought, but maybe the disc contains the flag that tells the telly to go to amanorphic, try manually setting it to 4x3. I'm sure you've tried that. As I say, just a thought.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
The box says....4X3...All 3 monitors that I have are showing the film cropped at 4X3 or at 16X9....just look at the credits. ALL other Fox studio classic releases from Spain that I own do NOT have this problem. I truly wish it was not so!

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hi Joe, I am an Australian collector and a big fan of your Columbia Special Edition Laserdiscs (LOST HORIZON, 1776 etc). Before Sony released 1776 on dvd I was in contact with someone in the "ideas dept" and suggested they re-use the LD commentary or bring Peter Stone in to do one as he had done one for CHARADE with Criterion. I also suggested they restore the faded sequences as best they could to release the uncut version. As you'd know they did a new commentary track with Stone and Peter Hunt and found the full negative in a "mine shaft"-type storage vault. (Though I wish Mr Hunt had left it intact as it is on the LD version).
Re FOREVER AMBER, I read when the LD was being planned (ultimately unreleased I think) that a collector had offered Fox the uncensored ending (showing Amber resigned to returning to her courtesan life) but then withdrew this offer.Pity. Do you know if any footage survives of the aborted version with British actress Peggy Cummins? If so, they could make a fascinating Spec. Ed. with maybe a Preminger expert providing a commentary dealing with the censorship concerns, the great Raksin score etc.
Do you know if the Spanish release of the Ladd film ONE FOOT IN HELL is in Scope or P+S? Ken is looking into this for me.
On two different "notes", are there any plans for a dvd of the 1973 LOST HORIZON? Has the notorious "fertility dance" with Olivia Hussey at the end of 'Living Together' been found? Is there any progress on a release of PORGY AND BESS? I have a letterboxed copy of the 120 minute General Release Cut which is watchable but does not contain 'My Man's Gone Now',a highpoint of the Gershwin score. Did the 70mm screenings in NYC a few years ago spark any studio interest? I have heard that MGM/UA have the rights but this is not verified.Cheers, Mike

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike in Autralia. Thanks for the compliments. Don't kow about columbias plans for Horizon. BTW, the negative for 1776 was never lost. Some prick at columbia claimed they didn't know where it was. Hooray for Hollywood.

I think the Peggy Cummings footage still existed as of 1989, but all of that stuff was moved and who knows if they junked it?
Don't know about a collector having the uncut ending. Very unlikely. The film was cut early in its originla run- fox sent out new beginnings and endings with a deman that the originals be sent back.
Porgy and Bess is with MGM but they don't want to spend the money required to restore the film, as the contract with Goldwyn does not last much longer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Mike in Autralia. Thanks for the compliments. Don't kow about columbias plans for Horizon. BTW, the negative for 1776 was never lost. Some prick at columbia claimed they didn't know where it was. Hooray for Hollywood.
I think the Peggy Cummings footage still existed as of 1989, but all of that stuff was moved and who knows if they junked it?
Don't know about a collector having the uncut ending. Very unlikely. The film was cut early in its originla run- fox sent out new beginnings and endings with a deman that the originals be sent back.
Porgy and Bess is with MGM but they don't want to spend the money required to restore the film, as the contract with Goldwyn does not last much longer.
I guess the good news is the the contract between Goldwyn and MGM does not last much longer. It would be interesting to see Lost Horizon (73) on DVD. It was always an interesting experiment for that time.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I bought the Busby Berkeley Box Set in the end, only $23.39 from Amazon US. What a bargain!
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to be careful. I bought the Fox western "Rio Conchos", nice transfer, but it zooms in from 2:35 to 16:9 after the titles. I also got the Warner title "Teahouse Of The August Moon", just awful, non-anamorphic with a smeary picture (I understand the R1 disc was very good). You can safely buy "The Egyptian" which looks & sounds terrific. I was going to buy "Gold Diggers Of 1933" (the R1 is now very expensive), but after Teahouse, I'd like to read a review first.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hi Joe, I am a fan of your work on the Columbia Laser Discs (1776, LOST HORIZON.3 FOR THE SHOW etc).I was in touch with someone at Sony DVD when they were considering releasing some classics around the time of their anniversary screenings in the late '90's (which also took place in Melbourne). I remember my dismay on hearing that ANATOMY OF A MURDER was coming out full-frame after I had just seen it screened theatrically in 1.85 to 1. (I bought the French release as it was in OAR). I made some suggestions for 1776 which they acted upon (eg. seeing if Peter Stone was available to do a commentary as he had just done the track for Criterion's CHARADE, restoring the faded deleted footage- I was very glad that they found the complete negative, though I do wish the director had left the film intact as on the LD).
I've been waiting to hear from Ken on ONE FOOT IN HELL. Do you know if the Spanish version is in full Scope?
There was talk of Fox releasing FOREVER AMBER on LD with the uncensored ending from a privately owned print (which shows Linda Darnell resignedly returning to her courtesan life). This was in the dying days of Laserdisc and I don't think the release took place. Do you know if any footage survives from the aborted Peggy Cummins version? If so, they could do a great Special Edition of this title.
Is there any word on LOST HORIZON making it to dvd? Would they be likely to use your restored version of this film whenever they release it? Has the Olivia Hussey dance sequence from 'Living together,Growing Together' been found?
Finally, I have the 120 min General Release Version of PORGY IN BESS in Wide Screen from a Rare Movie website. It's watchable but I was hoping that the recent screenings in New York (70mm print?) would lead to a dvd release of the 136 min cut. Is it true that MGM/UA have the rights but are wary of outlaying the costs involved in restoring it for dvd release? Cheers, Mike Evans (Australia)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Oops! I was sure my earlier post had not made it through to the site. Apologies for the repetition.( I have just turned 50 but do not as yet have short-term memory issues!!)
By the way Allen, what if Goldwyn and the Gershwins bury PORGY AND BESS again when the time expires with MGM? I wish they'd just transfer the best print they have (it would have to beat my bootleg copy) so we have access to the full version again. There's a legion of folk who would stampede to Tower to get a halfway reasonable version of this film.
Also, on a Fox note, has anyone ever found the cut songs from THE KING AND I or CAROUSEL? I'd be happy to see them even if they have faded to shades of pink.Did anyone else out there think the commentary track with Ernest Lehman and Marni Nixon on the 40th anniversary LD of KING AND I was much better than the DVD commentary?
I was very happy see that Fox cable are now showing Scope versions of WOMAN OBSESSED (Hayward) and TEN NORTH FREDERICK(Cooper). Would love to see proper releases of more Fox Scope films of the '50's (egs .BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE,THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD) but the trend now appears to be to release these kinds of titles on DVD-R with little or no restoration and no special features.Do we know how long DVD-R copies will last? I've known some CD-R discs to "conk out" after a period of time.To be frank I'm a little tired of the same old titles being recycled a dozen times, now with the gloss of Blu-ray.(I like Blu-Ray, but how many new classic titles are coming out now, either in SD or on BluRay? What's happened to the great Fox Noir collection?Studio Classics? THE ROBE + SOUTH PACIFIC are terrific but they are the exception and not the rule it would seem).Speaking of DVD-R, does anyone know if THE GROUP and DREAMCHILD will be in OAR?
Finally, how does UNTAMED look in the Spanish release? Is it full Scope or cropped? Do the Stereo films have stereo soundtracks? Thanks, Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks