1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox how about sets for Loretta Young, Ginger Rogers, and Gene Tierney??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Corey, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

They've done Marilyn, Betty Grable, Carmen Miranda and Alice Faye, so now they should also devote sets to these 3 other popular Fox ladies:

Loretta Young Vol. 1
    -Ramona
    -The Farmer's Daughter
    -Kentucky
    -Three Blind Mice
    -Come to the Stable

Vol. 2
    -Mother Is A Freshman
    -The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
    -Suez
    -Ladies In Love
    -Wife, Doctor and Nurse

Vol. 3
    -Wife, Husband and Friend
    -Private Numbers
    -Four Men and A Prayer
    -Clive of India
    -Half Angel

Ginger Rogers
    -Hat Check Girl
    -Broadway Bad
    -Teenage Rebel
    -Dreamboat
    -Oh Men, Oh Women

Gene Tierney Vol. 1
    -Belle Star
    -Rings On Her Fingers
    -China Girl
    -Hudson's Bay
    -The Pleasure Seekers

Volume 2
    -The Iron Curtain
    -Bell For Adano
    -Way of a Gaucho
    -Tobacco Road

2. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Well-Known Member

I would buy any one of these sets without a blink, specially Loretta's.

She was such a great actressand after watching her movies in the Tyrone Power box set, I can't help but pray for Fox to release Ladies in Love and Suez. The had such a chemistry together, I think she was the best leading lady Tyrone had in all his filmography.

Also Three Blind Mice is a very favorite of mine. I would only pass 4 Men and a Prayer and Tobacco Road (Tierney's set) since I already have them. So I would replace them for other unreleased titles.

Since we are talking about leading ladies collections, Maureen O'Hara deserves one (Sentimental Journey, Foxes of Harrow, Sitting Pretty, Father was a Fullback and Britannia Mews would be my choices).

3. CineKarine

CineKarine Well-Known Member

I would buy all the collections and titles listed so far in a wink. Many of the films listed I consider great favorites of mine like Ramona (in early color!), Ladies in Love, Sentimental Journey, The Farmer's Daughter, Come to the Stable and Dreamboat. And I also vote for a Sonja Henie collection (with Sun Valley Serenade!) and a second Grable set.

I would also suggest a Jeanne Crain collection:
    Margie
    Centennial Summer
    You Were Meant for Me
    The Model and the Marriage Broker
    Apartment for Peggy

4. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Well-Known Member

THE EGYPTIAN could FINALLY come out on DVD in a Gene Tierney Collection!

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

Lets add Take care of My Little Girl to the Jeanne Crain collection.

Also, how about Fox biggest female star of the fifties - Susan Hayward.
    Marilyn Monroe is supposed to have that title and she would have, but Fox could barely get a film out of her after her success in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I think she only made four films for them for the rest of the decade.

Susan Hayward Fox Films -
    the Marriage Go Round
    Woman Obsessed
    Untamed
    Soldier of Fortune - already released in the Clark Gable set but needs to be remastered. This film has stunning stereo sound but the sound is almost mono in the released version.
    White Witch Doctor
    The Presidents Lady
    I'd Climb the Highest Mountain
    I Can Get it for you Wholesale.

6. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

I think that one of the documentaries in the Tyrone Power set claimed that Young was rightfully aware that she was a third fiddle to Power and Annabella. I would replace it with ZOO IN BUDAPEST or THE WHITE PARADE. And SUEZ will probably come out in the next Power collection; the clips from it look great.
    THE IRON CURTAIN is a terrific Cold War thriller that most properly belongs in a Film Noir collection with a commentary (it was based on a true story and it was widely picketed on its initial release).
    I would add Otto Preminger's THE FAN and IN THE MEANTIME, DARLING to the Crain boxsets.
    DREAMBOAT is a superb film that is long due and it should come out in any context. It may be too eclectic, but I would welcome a Clifton Webb boxset (e.g., SITTING PRETTY, MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE, MR. BELVEDERE RINGS THE BELL, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, ELOPEMENT, BOY ON A DOLPHIN, MR. SCOUTMASTER, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, HOLIDAY FOR LOVERS, THE REMARKABLE MR. PENNYPACKER, WOMAN'S WORLD to choose from).
    It fascinated me to see in the Power collection how much the ingenue Linda Darnell in DAYTIME WIFE had shifted to the mature Darnell in A LETTER TO THREE WIVES. The same was true of Tierney, Anne Baxter, and to a lesser extent, Jeanne Crain, as well as male stars like Power, Gable, John Payne, Fonda, Robert Taylor. There is a rich catalog of Darnell films that have gone untapped--from HOTEL FOR WOMEN, CHAD HANNA to FOREVER AMBER, THE WALLS OF JERICHO, EVERYBODY DOES IT to edgier work in THE THIRTEENTH LETTER, NIGHT WITHOUT SLEEP, and THE GUY WHO CAME BACK. Compared to the WB and MGM stars like Davis, Garland, Gable, Stewart, and Hepburn, the Fox stars are relatively underrepresented by tv or homevideo, and even the most frivolous films of the thirties, forties, and fifties are fascinating discoveries.

7. Garysb

Garysb Well-Known Member

How about a box set of what is probably the most remade story Fox ever did.
    The story of 3 Girls who rent an apartment to marry millionaires.

The Greeks Had a Word For Them
    Ladies In Love
    Three Blind Mice
    Moon Over Miami
    Three Little Girls In Blue
    How To Marry a Millionaire.

At very least this would make a good day of programming on the Fox Movie Channel.

8. CineKarine

Agree about Susan Hayward, I would buy any of her movies!

I would add Home in Indiana for Jeanne Crain too or maybe they could double-it up with its remake April Love.

Home in Indiana also stars June Haver - I doubt we will ever see a collection of her films since she was never as well-known, but I would welcome more as part of the Marquee Musicals. I'll Get By, I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now? and Oh You Beautiful Doll are some of my all-time favorite Fox musicals.

As long as I am at it, a Mitzi Gaynor collection would be lovely too.

9. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

That's because they were offering her a lot o junk roles How To Be Very, Very Popular. They didn't want to loan her out to star in The Big Heat, The Stripper never materialized, and she died before she could make What A Way to Go!

I think Fox will release a Susan Hayward set after seeing how well With A Song In My Heart sold. Amazon even has a notification option for I Can Get It For You Wholesale, The Marriage Go Round, and Untamed.

10. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

Realistically though, what are the chances of a Mitzi Gaynor or June Haver set?? I don't even think a Linda Darnell one is possible, though Star Dust is a film I've been wanting to have for a long time.

11. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the 1960s version, The Pleasure Seekers, and the two most notorious ones that came a few years later. Here's a hint: both were loosely based on a notorious bestseller!

Of course, you can also add Three Conis in the Fountain to the list........

12. CineKarine

As I said, I doubt we will ever see a Haver or Gaynor collection, but their films would be just right for more DVD Marquees musicals though [​IMG]

And yes, having a DVD of Star Dust would be fabulous!

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

Lets go all the way and ask Fox for a box set we will never see

Alice Faye - the Black and White Years to include:

Tail Spin (1939) .... Trixie Lee
    Sally, Irene and Mary (1938) .... Sally Day
    You're a Sweetheart (1937) .... Betty Bradley
    Wake Up and Live (1937) .... Alice Huntley
    You Can't Have Everything (1937) .... Judith Poe Wells
    Sing, Baby, Sing (1936) .... Joan Warren
    King of Burlesque (1936) .... Pat Doran
    Music Is Magic (1935) .... Peggy Harper
    Every Night at Eight (1935) .... Dixie Foley aka Dixie Dean
    George White's 1935 Scandals (1935) .... Honey Walters
    ... aka George White's Scandals
    365 Nights in Hollywood (1934) .... Alice Perkins
    She Learned About Sailors (1934) .... Jean Legoi
    Now I'll Tell (1934) .... Peggy Warren
    ... aka Now I'll Tell You
    ... aka When New York Sleeps (UK)
    George White's Scandals (1934) .... Mona Vale

14. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

Some of those Faye films probably will see the light of day particularly Sing, Baby, Sing and Sally, Irene, and Mary.

15. CineKarine

All of these are fabulous, fun musicals (except Tail Spin which is a straight drama but I think Miss Faye sings one song in it.) My favorite of these are Wake Up and Live and Sally, Irene and Mary - I have an old TV-taped copy on VHS (EP/SLP speed to boot) and the image is dark and badly distorted, but I still watch it once a year [​IMG] You can't keep a movie lover from watching a favorite film. [​IMG]

I think You're a Sweetheart is a Universal film if memory serves me right.

I would also add Little Old New York (40) - the first film I saw of Miss Faye actually.

Fox is doing so great with boxsets devoted to it stars, so we just never know...

16. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Well-Known Member

I'd be really happy if they released another Betty Grable set, to include Mother Wore Tights, The Shocking Miss Pilgrim, Springtime in the Rockies, plus a few others. [​IMG]

17. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

I had no idea that Fox owned so many Spencer Tracy films. They can pull a Universal and put 5 or 6 films across 2 discs since many of them run under 80 minutes.

-Dante's Inferno
    -Stanley & Livingstone
    -Quick Millions
    -Six Cylinder Love
    -She Wanted A Millionaire
    -Disorderly Conduct
    -Young America
    -Society Girl
    -Painted Woman
    -Me and My Gal
    -The Mad Game
    -Looking For Trouble
    -Bottoms Up
    -Now I'll Tell
    -Marie Galante
    -It's A Small World

18. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Well-Known Member

Actually, before serving decades at MGM (worth at least two sets there), Tracy was a Fox player.

19. CineKarine

Another vote! [​IMG]

20. Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux Well-Known Member

I'd buy all of those sets especially Gene Tierney. Fox's recent 10 film Tyrone Power set gives me hope. It's obvious a genuine film lover was involved in that set.