What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I have received and viewed two Fox titles from Portugal. They are also available from Spain but the cover art is a little different there for GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE.
First, the bad news: WAIT TILL THE SUN SHINES NELLIE appears to be the same transfer released by FCA in the USA. It is quite dark and the color has a brown tinge throughout. The scenes in broad daylight look pretty good but the interior scenes are lacking in detail. It looks to be a good movie - I am a big fan of Henry King. It may be the only print Fox can manufacture from the Eastman negatives it was transferred to.
Secondly, the good news is that MISS DOVE is in 16:9 'Scope. The sound-while unremarkable- appears to be stereophonic (2.0), like the US release. The De Luxe color palette looks similar to me to other Fox titles from this era. I think they used the same classroom set in PEYTON PLACE two years later and the color in these scenes looks just like it did in the latter film's dvd release. It is a little on the brown side, but nothing like 'sepia' (as someone above described the color in the FCA LBX release). I boosted the color on my monitor and thought it looked fine, just not overly vivid. I was surprised to see that it comes with a 30 page booklet filled with reproductions of stills and lobby cards, many in color. The information is-of course-in Spanish so those who know that language to any degree will benefit accordingly. (The dvd of GOVERNMENT GIRL, an RKO title with Olivia de Havilland, also came with a lavishly illustrated booklet. The print/transfer of that title is watchable, but not up to the standard of the Fox movies. However,it is not out anywhere else as far as I know).
I am thus glad to have waited and "taken a punt" on these foreign releases as I'm happy to own an anamorphic transfer of GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE.
WOMAN'S WORLD-when broadcast on FMC- was a great print. Even if it's not anamorphic, it should look good if they utilize the same master. I am very interested to hear what these releases are like.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I looked for Woman's World and it still is not up yet. Perhaps later today Amazon will have it.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I secured my copy of MISS DOVE from the El Corte Ingles website store. Its international shipping charges are prohibitive so I had them ship my order to family in the UK, who then mailed the dvds to me. I also couldn't work the website, so I phoned them and asked for someone who could speak English. The Spanish edition must be the same transfer and can be ordered from sellers at amazon.co.uk. It may or may not come with the booklet. Here is the link to the store in Portugal:

http://ocio.elcorteingles.es/cine/pelicula/la-terrible-miss-dove-cineclub-1955-henry-coster-dvd-001025941243807

Looking again at GOVERNMENT GIRL, the print is not as bad as I first thought. A comedy along the lines of THE MORE THE MERRIER, though not quite in that class. The story goes that Warners loaned de Havilland to Selznick in return for Ingrid Bergman for CASABLANCA (which she objected to making and was trying to get out of even after the first week of shooting as the screenplay was still unfinished). Selznick had nothing for de Havilland to do, so loaned her to RKO to use in this Sonny Tufts comedy. De Havilland loathed the script and overacted her way through it in protest. Nonetheless, the film has a great supporting cast- inc. Agnes Moorehead- and made money.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
After reading Matt Hough's excellent review of Fox Archive's "Good Morning Miss Dove" I think I'll get the Anamorphic European edition thank you.

Here's what the original flat 35mm trailer looks like.
dove1.jpg

Doug.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Yes Bryan, that's the one. As Amazon.es don't carry it, I'm starting to think it is a Portuguese release only. Therefore, you should get the glossy program/booklet which comes with it. (These have been produced for other Fox titles such as THE EGYPTIAN + UNDER TWO FLAGS. They must have real classic movie lovers in Spain and Portugal).
By the way, the 2.55:1 transfer of WOMAN'S WORLD broadcast on FMC is excellent. I hope FCA either use that transfer or an anamorphic one. If they "come the raw prawn" with us (as we say here) and release it Panned-and-Scanned, it is in LBX format in Spain.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am still waiting for this to up for order at Amazon. Woman's World I hope will not be taken off the list like King of the Khyber Rifles a few years back

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
024543952381_Womans_World_ dvd cover.jpg

Bottom of the bottle dvd cover.jpg

Maryland dvd cover.jpg

Here is the latest cover art.
Classicflix.com states that WOMAN'S WORLD and THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE are in Full Screen, however Moviesunlimited.com lists them as being in Widescreen. Time will tell. Going by precedent, i'd be surprised if these titles were in 16:9. BOTTLE was released in 16:9 ( 2.35:1) and looks quite good. The latter store also indicates that the Scope titles are in stereo and that BOTTLE contains the theatrical trailer. (How unexpected and unusual to have a special feature from this mob!)
P.S. Amazon is not listing WOMAN'S WORLD as yet.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I like Woman's World a lot. If this film is presented in widescreen anamorphic, I'll buy it immediately. If it's a pan and scan travesty, no chance!

OK Fox: you know where you stand!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
I like Woman's World a lot. If this film is presented in widescreen anamorphic, I'll buy it immediately. If it's a pan and scan travesty, no chance!

OK Fox: you know where you stand!
Same here! Would love to buy it, but won't if it's not presented in its OAR. Fox you can't have Cinemascope spelled out on the DVD case and then give us a DVD in 4:3 Letterbox format.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I guess Fox would say "You are getting the full CinemaScope image (and should be grateful!)"
Major false advertising is when CINEMASCOPE is all over the cover and they present a "modified to fit your screen" version in 1.33:1. The declaration itself is both dated and false as very few people have 4:3 TVs these days. A square image does NOT fit my 16:9 screen!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nothing makes me madder than to read "modified to fit your screen" on a 21st century home video release. The production personnel that pluck those ancient VHS masters off the shelf and burn them onto a DVD-R haven't given such a travesty a single minute's thought or they'd never do such a bone-headed thing.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
With several Betty Grable titles recently released by Fox Classic Archives including "Mother Wore Tights" I came across this wonderful magazine cover while going through my print collection.
Although the front cover (1950) maybe from "My Blue Heaven" it still seems quite relevant to Fox Archives and the magical teamwork of Betty Grable and Dan Dailey.

Please forgive my indulgence and enjoy.

grable2.jpg

They just don't produce screen personalities and wonderfully talented partners like those of the Golden Age anymore.

Doug.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Does anyone know what may be causing the non appearance of Tin Pan Alley?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks