What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN I would watch this movie as a kid when spring break meant Good Friday in the week. I began to watch again the movie tonight. I will watch it next week.I am very glad I made this purchase. Yes it is not reef but it holds so much more for me.Thank you Fox for giving me this movie again and perhaps to watch as I did on WGN channel 9 Chicago.The movie aired when I was just a kid and gave me a great feeling after it ended.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Can anyone comment on the image/sound quality on the Archives release of BACHELOR FLAT? It is reportedly in LBX. Considering buying it. Quite a funny movie. (The dog steals the film). Thanks

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
lionel59 said:
Can anyone comment on the image/sound quality on the Archives release of BACHELOR FLAT? It is reportedly in LBX. Considering buying it. Quite a funny movie. (The dog steals the film). Thanks
Amazon is correct, this is non-anamorphic widescreen. I watched the whole thing so I can personally verify it. As far as letterboxed transfers go, it was pretty good.

Worth it if you're a fan of the movie or a Terry-Thomas fan is general. Also worth checking out for those interested in Frank Tashlin later output.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks joHud. Here is the cover art for the next batch:

D49508.jpg
D49509.jpg

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
scudda hoo dvd cover.jpg

This one is probably the best of the bunch (which in this case is not saying a great deal,although to be honest I have not seen any of them). An early appearance by Marilyn Monroe has made it somewhat famous.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
lionel59 said:
This one is probably the best of the bunch (which in this case is not saying a great deal,although to be honest I have not seen any of them). An early appearance by Marilyn Monroe has made it somewhat famous.
I'm curious if the transfer end up looking very good on this one. I have suspicions that Fox at one point planned to release this on DVD as a Marilyn Monroe film and prepared this film accordingly.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
JoHud said:
I'm curious if the transfer end up looking very good on this one. I have suspicions that Fox at one point planned to release this on DVD as a Marilyn Monroe film and prepared this film accordingly.
Your mouth to God's ears. I watched Golden Girl (1951) with Mitzi Gaynor last weekend and it was a disaster. Almost unwatchable. The Fox Archives is really hit or miss as has been pointed out many, many times before, so let's hope for the best.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I only suggest that because the MOD of The Dangerous Years was a very high quality transfer made recently very likely because Marilyn Monroe had a 60 second bit part in it and probably hoped to sneak it into one of her "Diamond Collections".

But yeah, we might also end up with a Betamax transfer they dusted off. Fingers crossed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JoHud said:
Since she's only in a background shot and not really visible in the one scene of hers left in the film, I doubt even Fox at its most desperate would have ever thought of this as a Monroe film.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I still lobby for Marilyn 1963. I hope we see this come out.

I have a very old recording of this film from when it played on WGN in Chicago.

I found an old wide screen version of Francis of Assisi (1961 and watched it last night not bad. The Fox movie channel airs a pan and scan and the titles do not even fit the screen. I do not know when I recorded this. I know it is out on DVD but to much money for me.

I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN I still do not regret buying. I have watched it about 3 times and plan another viewing before the week is out.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Matt Hough said:
Since she's only in a background shot and not really visible in the one scene of hers left in the film, I doubt even Fox at its most desperate would have ever thought of this as a Monroe film.
Haven't seen it, so thanks for clearing that up. Thought she at least had a speaking part. Still hoping the movie comes out good once released.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Yes. Or "Mitzi by Night". I have heard that WAIT TILL THE SUN SHINES NELLIE is also very poor. However, I have ordered the recently released PAL pressed disc from Portugal. Coming via relatives in the UK (to lessen expensive shipping charges to non-EU countries cited by the store). I will report when it arrives. As the dept at Fox which makes up masters for non-NTSC countries is likely to be different to the incompetent staff at the FCA dept, my hopes are high that this well-regarded exercise in '50's nostalgia for the earlier part of the 20th Century will be a better transfer. I have also ordered GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE, which is definitely in CinemaScope and maybe in 16:9.
I have the FMC broadcast of GOLDEN GIRL on DVD-R.It also looks like much of it was shot during a total eclipse.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Does anyone know if there is a complete list of Fox Archives titles svailable so far. I am unqble to locate one online.

Sarah

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D49511.jpg

Movies Unlimited is offering this and GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE and DECLINE AND FALL ..OF A BIRDWATCHER for ordering. There is no cover art for the latter two titles. No ratio is given for the two Wide Screen titles and MISS DOVE is listed as mono.(It's original CinemaScope release in theatres was in 4-track magnetic stereo sound). I have a 2.35:1 dvd of MISS DOVE coming my way from Portugal. I will not know until I receive it whether it is 16:9 or in stereo. I have the LBX transfer shown on TCM . To my ears, the soundtrack is in mono, but the image is at least the full 2.55:1.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Doug Bull said:
Almost Unwatchable, might be overly generous. :eek:

attachicon.gif
gg1.jpg
attachicon.gif
gg2.jpg
attachicon.gif
gg3.jpg
attachicon.gif
gg4.jpg

Should be re-named "Dancing in the Dark" or "Lady in the Dark" - Oh I forgot, those titles have already been used.

Doug. ;)
Hilarious Doug! :) I'm glad I bought it from FoxConnect during one of their 50% off flash sales. I only feel 50% screwed. In addition, FoxConnect makes it difficult to find Archives titles as most are listed under "The" as in "The" Golden Girl, plus what's even odder is that they don't have many of the more recent releases such as the Sonja Henie films. Odd, considering it's Fox's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks