What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's pressed. Based on its website it seems to primarily handle documentaries.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Jobla said:
It doesn't appear that the UK PAL DVD release of THE INCIDENT is widescreen, let alone anamorphic. If anybody knows for sure, please post here.
The Australian release is listed as 16:9.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
For the moment, I'm assuming that the English and Aussie releases of THE INCIDENT spring from the same film elements.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just ordered "Day Mars Invaded Earth" in it OAR. The print they have been showing on TV is 1.78:1, not 2.35:1. Don't remember the channel.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There's a trickle of Fox catalog on Blu coming down the pipeline from Amazon Spain but also available on Amazon.com in region free offerings. Suez is advertised but no word on what the print looks like. If it looks like that tired and careworn Fox Archive MOD DVD forget it! What junk Fox has been peddling on their archive. It's depressing. Cinemascope titles released either non-anamorphic or cropped pan and scan, classics such as WILSON and MOTHER WORE TIGHTS sporting VHS transfer...uh...quality with severe chroma bleeding and color fading, not to mention tons of age-related damage. Just junk. Not worth even $1.99 much less $12.99! Save your money. But save these precious artifacts before it's too late! The 20th century in films is dying right before our eyes and no one seems interested in preserving/restoring or remastering it for future generations. What a cultural sin it is, indeed!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Eastmancolor said:
I noticed today, 7/12/15, that Amazon is selling the majority of the single title Fox Archive releases for $12.99. The combo sets are also discounted.

Thanks for the heads-up and some titles are as low as $10.49/pc. I picked up King of Burlesque for $11.99. Reviewers on Amazon say the print looks good.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Another thanks for the info. I just picked up two of the three I still had on my Wait For A Sale List, and at an excellent price: THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE and SONG OF THE ISLANDS.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The current discount prices on Amazon are honestly more appropriate for the overall product. I don't mind paying that little bit extra for WA titles because the quality is there, alas that's almost never the case with Fox Archives.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
classicmovieguy said:
The current discount prices on Amazon are honestly more appropriate for the overall product. I don't mind paying that little bit extra for WA titles because the quality is there, alas that's almost never the case with Fox Archives.

Totally agree. I always wait for the Fox Cinema Archive titles to be discounted prior to purchasing as a matter of principle. And even though I want to own titles such as The Best Things in Life Are Free and Say One For Me, I still wouldn't pay a buck-o-two for those titles or any film in 2015 not presented in its OAR.

R

rwqytt

does anyone here have FIRE SALE from FOX made on demand ?

I ask because I bought copy that came sealed from ebay, bur unsure if its a bootleg

I know playing surface is purple

The gb when put in pc says 3.84 and the label on the disc is white

Is that normal ?

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
rwqytt said:
The gb when put in pc says 3.84 and the label on the disc is white

Is that normal ?

The label on my disc is the traditional black with the beige stripe across the top with the title.

The gb reads 3.92.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just tried playing "The Day Mars Invaded Earth" on my HD A1, which I use for upscaling and it wouldn't recognize the disc...first time on a MOD disc. It did play fine on my BD player.

It starts off in non-anamorphic mode and after a few minutes switches to anamorphic. At least it wasn't zoomed as most stations are showing it.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Confirming that When the Legends Die is full frame, as advertised on the packaging. Disappointing but we were warned. It does have a trailer and the transfer is acceptably age appropriate in quality, for what it's worth.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Kid Blue is also available from Amazon Instant Streaming and the streaming version is definitely 4:3 (as well as dark and muddy). UGH!!!!

I have a Spanish DVD of Kid Blue that is widescreen so I don't know why Fox/MGM couldn't put that out on DVD. Seriously... the 20th Century Cinema Archives program is screwed.

Actually they should have restored/remastered it and given it to Twilight Time for a nice Blu-ray. *sigh* The production history of this film is probably more colorful than the film itself. Read Susan Campo's biography of Warren Oates for a description of the shoot. It's well worth reading. :)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Can't wait for "Girls Demand Excitment" to get a per order listing on Amazon. That is one of the holy grails of John Wayne films, that I've been waiting my entire life to see!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
jim_falconer said:
Can't wait for "Girls Demand Excitment" to get a per order listing on Amazon. That is one of the holy grails of John Wayne films, that I've been waiting my entire life to see!
has

Has Girls Demand Excitment been announced by fox?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
borisfw said:
Has Girls Demand Excitement been announced by fox?

It was teased by the Fox rep Finn in another thread as a tentative "early 2016" release.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JoHud said:
It was teased by the Fox rep Finn in another thread as a tentative "early 2016" release.

I hope the tease is true . Thanks for the update .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks