What's new

Fox Catalogue Titles For June 7 (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
FOX has announced the following Catalogue titles for June 7th,

The Driver

The Duchess & The Dirtwater Fox

Julia

Kiss Me Goodbye

Unfaithfully Yours (1984)

Vital Signs

Worth Winning

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if The Driver will be the 131 minute version? The R2 editions aren't. The only video release that was of the 131-minute version was the original EMI VHS. A joint Walter Hill and Bruce Dern commentary would be great.

It's a fine film. It's like an American version of Le Samourai, which is a curious observation, as Melville's film is a Francenized version of the Film Noir World. Ryan O'Neal is a poor substitute for Alain Delon (all actors who ever lived are, as far as I'm concerned!) but his usally-annoying emotionless demeanor is perfectly suited for the role.

The release of the remake of Unfaithfully Yours suggests that the original will be coming from Criterion in June also?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Yes, Julia at last!! One of my 12 most-wanted titles. Thank you Fox.

Now if they could just announce The Innocents...

(Yes I know, some people are just never satisfied.)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great news on The Driver and especially Julia.

I expect The Driver to be the 91 minute version, but you never know.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
double to that for The Driver. I was amazed at seeing this great film in NYC during a Film Noir fest and this would be a worth addition to any DVD collection.

Another yay for Worth Winning, a charming underrated comedy.

Any word on extras for these titles?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i would bet these will all be bare bones, similar to the release of Silver Streak last year. very cheap, very basic.

hopefully we don't have to worry about these being in their correct aspect ratio.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I thought they'd never release Julia. An amazing film. Now if only they'd put out Two For The Road. There's a fantastic commentary by director Stanley Donen and writer Frederic Raphael that they could recycle from the laserdisc. I can't understand why this hasn't been a Studio Classic yet. Lifeboat is the only other Fox title I'm waiting on, but I read somewhere that a commentary was recently recorded for it, so it'll probably be a Studio Classic soon.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I have the original CBS/FOX VHS tape of THE DRIVER, which claims a 131-minute running time on the box. But this is erroneous; the tape runs the usual 91 minutes. The movie (which I like less today, now that I've seen the original Melville films, which was hard to do back in '78 in the US) is lean and spare and would not benefit from being any longer, IMO. [And I wouldn't believe the IMDB "alternate versions" bit about their being a 131m version at all unless some other authority verifies it. Hill has never directed a film longer than two hours.]

I intend to pick up the disc, though. JULIA, while a beautifully crafted story in its own right, is more problematic, now that we know Lillian Hellman made up the allegedly "true" story at its center. I can't watch it the same way anymore.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they will use the R rated cut or the PG rated cut of THE DRIVER. Theatrically, it was R rated, then it got re-rated to PG for video for some odd reason. I have the Tv print, which I recorded off TV back in 1983, which is actually 8 minutes LONGER (!) as well as the LD from japan, which has one addition scene between adjani and O'Neal that is not in any U.S versions I have seen.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
This sounds like the then-usual padding to bring movies up to a proper length for TV timeslots. I'd like to see the footage, but would prefer it as a supplement (or, maybe, put two versions on the same DVD, like VANISHING POINT).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Bob Cashill, I reckon that you are pretty much right about the running time, but as Walter states above there are different versions out there. But I guess that 90-minute version is Hill's cut. I'd still love to see a Hill interview or commentary on the disc. Has Hill been involved in any of the DVDs of his films? The transfers of Southern Comfort and The Long Riders aren't great either. And what is the lastest on the SE of The Warriors.

Hill is a very underappreciated filmmaker, IMHO. His films are solid, tough and beautifully shot. Lessons in editing, also.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Thanks, Gordon...Hill, like Woody Allen, is Garbo-esque regarding supplements/commentaries for his films.

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator

Me either. "Two For the Road" is one of my top ten favorite movies, and it's amazing to me Fox hasn't released it on disc yet, especially given its big stars (Audrey Hepburn & Albert Finney) and director. Fox has put out far more obscure and less commercial titles, so why not this, along with the laserdisc Donen & Raphael commentary?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bravo to Fox on The Driver. I too am interested to see what, if any, participation comes from the immensely talented and, yes, underrated Hill.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Anybody know anything about the movie The Duchess & The Dirtwater Fox? The writer of this film is a professor at our school and strangely enough it seems like all his films are getting released lately (Kansas City Bomber, Gable & Lombard, etc).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

If you're talking about the quality of the film...my mom told me if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks