What's new

Fox addicts me again: THE SHIELD (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For the past three HTF visits to Fox Studios,
I have been pushed by fellow HTF staff members
to purchase The Shield while out at the
studio store.

I hesitated the first two visits, but by the
third I walked out with the first two season
sets in hand.

With boxed sets of The Simpsons, Babylon 5
and 24 Season Three to get through, it
has taken me a long time to finally get around
to The Shield.

The wait was worth it!

Once again I find myself immersed in yet another
TV show that has me spending more time in front
of the TV than I can afford to. I just cannot
help it -- The Shield is just an amazing
show.

I can't get enough of this series that basically
evolves around a rogue cop and his squad of
derelict officers who use unorthodox methods to
fight and solve crimes that the rest of the
force can't seem to do on their own.

With just enough grit, action, drugs and sex
this show can easily become an addiction.

I like the fact there are only 13 episodes
per season which makes these sets an easy watch.

I'm inching my way towards the end of SEASON ONE
and looking forward to starting SEASON TWO in a
week. I want to prime myself up for when the
show returns for its THIRD SEASON on Fox.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I found
a brand new series to involve myself with and it
certainly is one I would recommend.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Gord absolutely adores this series, too. I've had the first two sets running around here for a while, but with my huge DVD backlog I haven't cracked them, either. I guess it's time to finish up some in-progress sets and then get these out and crack them.

Thanks, Ron.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Ron,

I agree whole-heartedly: the Shield is amazing. My wife and I have some differing tastes, but whenever we sit down to watch the Shield we're both completely drawn in.

Season Two is even better than Season One and I'm anxiously waiting the release of Season Three!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Glad you're it enjoying it Ron, the show is actually up to Season 4 on Fox (March 15 is the season premiere), and Season 3, which is 15 episodes, will be out on DVD on February 22, so you'll have a little more catching up to do. :)

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I remember buying the first season of The Shield the day it came out. It sat on my shelf, unopened, for months. There were times where I almost considered taking it back and exchanging it. I finally gave in and opened it one day and watched the first episode. After that, I ended up watching the remaining 12 episodes within a couple of days and got my wife hooked on it as well.

It was already too late for me to catch up to Season 2 on FX. By the time it came out on DVD, I had rushed through the set and was caught up by the time the second episode of season 3 aired (I had recorded the first one).

I feel that, while all 3 seasons of The Shield have been good, I enjoyed the first season the most.

Nip/Tuck was pretty much the same for me. I had that set finished off within a week. Nip/Tuck, The Shield, and Farscape have been my best blind tv-on-dvd buys.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the second season of The Shield was the best one so far. The main 'villain' for the season is really scary. I don't want to get into much spoiler stuff but I will say that Mackey goes pretty far in some of those episodes.

It's nice to see FX let them get away with more stuff than they'd be able to do on network TV.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
The sheild is my favorite show. Both me and the wife set aside the time to watch this when it is on every week...... We have both dvd sets... Can't wait for the third season. Love this show!!!!!

F/x as the three best shows (for us anyway). The Sheild, Nip/Tuck, and Rescue Me...... We didn't miss a single episode of either series..... Love them....

I just wish F/x didn't get rid of lucky.... The show had some side splitting funny scenes.... Great litte show......

R~

Greg_Masiewich

Auditioning
The Shield was always a show I had heard great things about, but always put off buying. When Fox had their Season 1 DVD sale a while back, I picked Season 1 up cheap and discovered one of my favourite shows. I had to rush out and buy Season 2 as soon as I was done the first as well, it was that addicting. I agree too that while Season 1 was incredible, the one main storyline that begins in the first half of Season 2 blew me away with how intense it was.
The scene where Mackey snaps and holds Armadillo's face against the stove burner had me grimmacing in my seat. That storyline has been my favourite so far for sure with other scenes that push the limits as well, like where Armadillo burns Mackey's dealer informant in that tire fire ritual.

Everyone who still has Season 2 to watch, I really envy you! Wish I could experience it again for the first time. If you think Season 1 is good, look out!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Excellent show. I watched perhaps 1 to 1.5 seasons but couldn't go on because of scheduling issues.

I intend to catch up on netflix as soon as I am done with a couple of other shows.

--
H

GarySchrock

Second Unit
After the first season i figured there was no way they could improve with the second season. I was wrong. I felt the same way after the second season, and I feel the third season was even better. I also really like the second season episode that goes back to how it all started. Can't wait for season 4 to start up.

R. Kay

Second Unit
With all due respect to '24' (which I think is good, but a bit too cliched for my taste), 'The Shield' is the best show on television. Even better than the 'Sopranos'.

For people who remember Chiklis in 'The Commish' (a VERY mediocre show), be prepared for a 180 degree turn.

As great as Season 1 & 2 were, I thought Season 3 was the best yet.

For those expecting it to be NYPD Blue-like ... it blows BLUE out of the water. Its not even close in terms of quality writing and performance.

For those who even hesitate to rent it ... believe it ... its worth the watch.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
After hearing so many great things about The Shield on this forum, I bought the 1st Season on sale at Best Buy recently -- loved it! The BEST cop show ever! Intense is the word. Great acting and a good plotting -- TV (or film)-- it doesn't get much better than this.

The best part is there are several more seasons to go!

I'm holding off on buying Season 2 until after I watch all the TV Show sets I received as Christmas presents and the scads of new releases coming out at the end of this month and the beginning of February. This is a great time for us video addicts... Ain't life grand!

I'm thinking of saving Season 2 for April. I can always use a lift at Tax time! :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've been watching The Shield live and via TiVO since the start, and just picked up the S1 discs (along with 24 and The Mary Tyler Moore Show) thanks to Fox's half-price on first season promotion.

BTW, you should prepare to prepare yourself to get hooked on Rescue Me if you aren't already. Catch up on the 13 episode 1st season either on DVD or if FX airs it again before the second season arrives later this year.

:)

Regards,

Joe

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I'm tempted to blind buy based on all the positive comments here. Anyone reading this hate the series? And can someone please comment on the DVDs' 4:3 framing? (in R2 the discs are anamorphic w/s)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Shield is an excellent Series I recommend you also Check out Fox's Rescue Me when it comes on DVD This summer another Great Series. Also Have you tried "The Dead Zone" ?

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Another recommendation here!!

Great show with excellent acting performances by all.

That being said this is not a show for everyone. It is very gritty and goes places that most shows wouldn't even think about. However its done extremely well and Michael Chiklis deserves any and all honors he gets for doing this show.

Its also VERY WORTH a blind buy when the etailers have been running their Fox Season 1 sales (ie Season 1 box sets have been selling for $14.99 each at various etailers over the past 3-4 months).

This is my second favorite show behind Farscape with 24 and west wing squarely right behind the first 2 (its a very tight race for the top 5, LOL!)

Greg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Without a doubt buy Season One blindly.

It does help to know, as noted above,
that this show is quite grizzly -- but
for those not offended easily, this show
is a HUGE payoff.

Incredible show!

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Haven't seem any episodes yet. I do remember "The Commish" and kinda liked it, hard to believe Chiklis can do quite a turn-a-round from his goofy style in that show...may have to check this out.

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Been watching The Shield since day One, and bought both seasons dvds on release dates , as I will season 3. I have watched the Season 1 and 2 on dvd at least 4 times each, and plan another marathon of all 3 seasons before the new one starts. This show is the best thing on tv, and was the first show that I made sure not to miss in along time.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
I'd actually say that Season 3 was weaker than the previous two. It seemed like they used the 3 extra episodes (16 instead of the usual 13) to just stretch out storylines like the money train
on forever. Also, Dani and Julian don't really get anything to do
compared to S1 and S2. However, still a great show, and well worth a blind buy on DVD. Can't wait for Season 4 in March!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks