What's new

Forum and iOS 7 (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I sometimes read the forum at night via my iPad. My iPad is still running iOS 7. Almost every time I'm on the forum, iOS Safari will quit on me. If I stay on the forum long enough (load it again), it will quit again... and again...and...

I have no such trouble on any other forum I visit via my iPad. Is it the ads here? The forum software? Something else??

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There were quirks in Safari on iOS 7 and iOS 8 that lead to pages being killed and reloaded with some complex websites; this happened with HTF sometimes. I also found the biggest, heaviest websites, like TheVerge.com would cause Safari to crash; I don't think this ever happened with HTF.

For me, on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 9, HTF has been stable and problem free in Safari. That said, you might be getting the wrong combination of ads to cause problems.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Dave! I haven't put iOS 9 on my iPad because it's an older, slower model (iPad 3). My wife and I are thinking about giving each other new iPads for Christmas, so that should hopefully resolve the problem.

Speaking of ads... I am VERY annoyed by the new pop open ads that are now showing up here on HTF. I realize the forum needs to be profitable to be viable but having a new window pop open right over what you are trying to read is the worst of the worst when it comes to ads. If those types of ads continue, I will definitely be installing an ad blocker on my iPad when I get one with iOS 9 installed.

I think Ron and the other site owner(s) need to make a decision over what is more important, those annoying pop open overlay ads or some of their "customers" seeing ANY of the ads.

Edit: I see that I can remove ads by supporting HTF through a premium membership. I'm interested in doing that, but I'd like more information about which ads get removed. Is it JUST the banner ads at the top of each page? Or, does it also eliminate the pop open ads and other ads?

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We've got iOS 9 running on an iPad 3 and it's fine. (No speed demon, but my wife uses it without any particular complaint from iOS 9) If you've upgraded to iOS 8, you might as well go to 9. It's intent is to tune up iOS 8. The performance hit is negligible. Now, if you're still on iOS 6 and haven't jumped to iOS 7, that's a different story.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Dave. Well, for me, hopefully, it is a moot point. We took advantage of Black Friday sales to get brand new iPad Air 2 models for my wife and myself. We got $125 off a 16GB WiFi-only iPad at Staples for my wife. She's already using that one. I went with a 64GB Cellular iPad Air 2 at Target.com. It has already shipped and it should be here by mid-week. It was supposed to come with a $150 Target gift card but Target's online system was (to put it mildly) having issues. My gift card never got generated and eventually got cancelled. I was really peeved until Target customer service decided to adjust the price of the iPad by knocking off the $150. So, no gift card to hassle with, just a straight discount. I got an additional $36 discount for using RedCard.

Hopefully, the iPad Air 2 (running iOS 9.1, of course) will be more reliable. I'll be sure to post here if I have any problems.

We've already "sold" our old iPads to Amazon (Amazon Trade-in). If they approve the condition (which I think they will) we'll get a $290 gift card from Amazon.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPad Air 2 is much faster than the iPad 3. I've had much fewer problems in Safari with iOS 9 than iPad 3 and iOS 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks