What's new

Blu-ray Review Forever Marilyn Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Re: wanting insert art for each title, I'm sorry but the individual Blu rays do NOT have great insert art. These movies ought to feature original poster art elements...not glamou shots of Marilyn.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Escapay said:
I'd like for Warner Bros. to make a box set, modest as it may be, of the three Marilyn films they have the rights to: The Asphalt Jungle, Clash by Night, and The Prince and the Showgirl. But I also echo Matt H's sentiments, and would love a Volume 2 box set with Marilyn's other *major* Fox roles: Don't Bother to Knock, Monkey Business, Niagara, Bus Stop, Let's Make Love, and Fox's studio-produced documentaries: Marilyn and Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days. And we can throw in the A&E "Biography" episode, Marilyn Monroe: The Mortal Goddess, too. As fun (and small) as her early Fox roles are - As Young as You Feel, Love Nest, Let's Make It Legal, We're Not Married, and O. Henry's Full House - I am in no hurry to see them in HD, and certainly don't need them padding out a set when she has little-or-no presence at all in these films. It's like how Fox used to include The Thin Red Line in their "George Clooney Collection" sets even though the guy has a cameo at best.
Count me in for all of these films. I have wanted Fox 1963 Marilyn for years.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
There must be a rights issue with the 1963 MARILYN documentary or it would have been released by now - never released in any format -- luckily it was shown in the Milwaukee area in the 80s and I got an excellent copy.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes we all must have got a copy at the same time when it played in Chicago. I even had the date. I think it was Memorial Day Weekend 1984. Previews for it are on a Marilyn DVD which I have. I almost bought it on ebay from a collector but he said it was not in wide screen so I passed what a fool. Portions of it were in a 48 hours broadcast from Somethings Got to Give which is another I want in Blu-ray. Fox did a nice job on that DVD.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hopefully more titles are on the way. I really enjoyed all of the MM films on blu ray so far. I have 2 to watch yet. The 2 Westerns.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm concerned about future Marilyn blu-ray releases based on an item on Amazon's Japanese website. They have what's called the "(19-Disc) Marilyn Monroe The Complete Collection [Amazon Exclusive] [Blu-ray]" which contains all of the blu-ray titles already released plus most of the rest (Bus Stop, Niagara, etc.). The problem is that only the titles previously released on blu-ray are in that format. All of the other titles are standard DVDs. My concern is that they would bother to put out this "exclusive" hybrid set if they could instead put out the same set with everything on blu-ray. So I don't see more blu-ray coming soon but I hope I'm wrong.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Gary16 said:
I'm concerned about future Marilyn blu-ray releases based on an item on Amazon's Japanese website. They have what's called the "(19-Disc) Marilyn Monroe The Complete Collection [Amazon Exclusive] [Blu-ray]" which contains all of the blu-ray titles already released plus most of the rest (Bus Stop, Niagara, etc.). The problem is that only the titles previously released on blu-ray are in that format. All of the other titles are standard DVDs. My concern is that they would bother to put out this "exclusive" hybrid set if they could instead put out the same set with everything on blu-ray. So I don't see more blu-ray coming soon but I hope I'm wrong.
Interesting. Hopefully the do move forward with more MM blu ray releases.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
I have lived in the north suburban Chicago area for a long time and the only channel that I ever saw broadcast MARILYN was out of Milwaukee - channel 18 - which showed it and quite a few others uncut with no commercials during the mid 80s. Some I taped are still the only versions I ever seen televised. The only Chicago channel that might have broadcast it would have been WGN but it never showed anything w/o commercials -- it was my source for one of Natalie Wood's last films - albeit a tv film - THE MEMORY OF EVA RYKER

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Fox will probably take its sweet time in releasing the rest of MM's films on BD if Fox's reputation is anything to go off of.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Marilyn did air in Chicago and not for the first time either on WGN. I cannot remember but I can look up the date which I belive was 1982. The movie was with commericals. I just went over it last year to make the best copy I could for myself.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I found Marilyn 1963 along with trailer and Somethings Got to Give out takes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RF0ZimyBok&playnext=1&list=PL29DF8264069B3444&feature=results_main http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR1-u-7SkG4&playnext=1&list=PLOEZerBEsxK0Q9gkRReq3WUPp-1Df2NS1&feature=results_video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwkfKCCJepo&playnext=1&list=PL9AD99F425FD2E859&feature=results_video

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
These 80s broadcasts of MARILYN may end being the only available source for this documentary . Im still curious what Chicago channel showed it- if you remember, please post. The ch. 18 version I taped was shown at least twice - these were the only times I ever saw it on television. I did see it in a movie theater back in '63 and found it quite thrilling especially the widescreen movie clips like RIVER OF NO RETURN which I had never seen on a movie screen.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Philip WGN channel 9 over Memorial Day Weekend. I even know the year but would have to hunt up my VHS copy.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I found the tape. Memorial Day weekend channel 9 WGN 1988 was the last time Marilyn was out of the vault>

Users who are viewing this thread