What's new

Forever iMac user switching to PC laptop - Any advice? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Have neglected my iMac for about a month since I purchased my Toshiba. Very pleased with the overall experience. While it has been more labor intensive with regards to security (running Norton, Spybot, TuneUp Utilities 2004, and Adaware once a week vs. running nothing on the iMac), it's not so arduous especially since I'm learning a lot and excited by the whole new world of software exclusive to pc.

I'm particularly pleased with the wireless experience. I picked up a Netgear WGR614 v5 wireless router and so far it's been flawless. The connection is very solid and steady (maintains nearly a constant 54 mbps). Very nice to sit on the couch on work on my notebook while catching up with the latest sitcoms. Plus, unlike my experience with notebooks 4 years ago, this one is not hot at all.

Sarah...what VoIP provider are you using? I'm considering either Vonage or Packet8.

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Here's teo free programs that will help prevent spyware from being installed on your new PC. Much better to stop it before it can install :)

SpywareBlaster # Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
# Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
# Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

SpywareGuard An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.

SarahG

Second Unit
Peter - must be a new experience having to do continuous maintenance on a computer. Keeps things interesting, though;)

As far as voip goes, we are using a provider called SunRocket. We shopped around a little and found out about this company. Been very pleased so far. Our package is nice in that all national calling is free and the international package is generous as well. Customer service was very helpful during set up too. We were kinda foreign to the whole thing, but they made it a bit easier. You might consider these guys in your search, too.

Users who are viewing this thread