What's new

International FOREVER AMBER and DADDY LONG LEGS Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just noticed on the FNAC website that both "Daddy Long Legs" and " Forever Amber" are coming out in France on Blu Ray in September!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
kagemusha98 said:
I just noticed on the FNAC website that both "Daddy Long Legs" and " Forever Amber" are coming out in France on Blu Ray in September!
Interesting!
I have the Spanish DVD of Forever Amber and it is severely below standard because, I suspect, of the material they were working with. If this new BRD is from the same elements, it will not be worth buying.
The US DVD of Daddy Long Legs is good. I'd be interested in a BRD. I wonder if Twilight Time would be.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would love for Fox to find thecomplete uncensored ending for Forever Amber. they have the soundtrack part, but not the image.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Joe, I recall when it was due for release on Laserdisc in the '90's that Fox Video had secured the uncensored ending from a collector. I am not sure if the release was cancelled because Laser was becoming extinct or if the collector withdrew his assistance. maybe both reasons played a part. I think the print Fox plays on FMC of this title looks good. I'd like to think that a Blu Ray master would be made from similar elements.The cover of the French edition states "Restored image and sound" in prominent lettering. I have ordered a copy and will post my comments on it's image/sound quality here. Europe appears to be doing more interesting classics on Blu Ray than the US in some genres/eras.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Fox Vid NEVER found the uncut ending for this film and certainly never announced a laserdisc version.
Still, I would like to see arestored color version of this film on any laser format.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have FOREVER AMBER.....it is far from restored...the good news is that it although it says Region B...It plays on Region A machines as well. I'm in Paris and just bought DADDY LONG LEGS and SHELTERING SKY on Blu. I look forward to seeing hoe they look tomorrow night when I am back in New York. Both "say" Region B.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks Ken. I'll be happy if it looks as good as the print shown on FMC but with Blu Ray clarity and definition. Joe, we'll have to agree to disagree, but I clearly remember the advertisement in the IMAGE magazine for AMBER on LD. Like some other titles at the time- MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY with Brando, for one- it was announced but never released. I did check with Glenn Erickson (dvdsavant) and he also remembers it being announced, advertised and then canceled. Fox may never have been able to secure the uncensored ending, but it was at that time that I read about it. It was either mentioned in the ad or in a write-up in the magazine regarding its upcoming release. I had not heard of the extended ending until then. I have also ordered DADDY LONG LEGS but will not have it in my hands for a while so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it Ken. Re Fox restorations of 3-strip Technicolor movies, I have read that at some stage these were all transferred to Eastman stock (which alters the colours somewhat) and the nitrate negatives destroyed. There may be exceptions but from what I understand they cannot truly restore these movies in the same way that Ted Turner was able to restore most of the 3-strip Technicolor libraries of MGM, Warners and RKO.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Ken, would you tell us if these BD releases have those annoying unremovable French subtitles or not. I've stopped ordering from Amazon.fr in favor of German releases of the same films. So far, these always have the option to turn off the subtitles. If there is that option here, I will order these two immediately, restored of not. Thanks.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
kagemusha98 said:
They are not removable.... Maybe I should check out the German releases.
I'm very sorry, Ken! I was furious after spending a great deal on EXODUS from Amazon.fr. The German one has removeable subs, as do THE LONG HOT SUMMER and THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. Why the French do this is beyond my comprehension. If there were some studio use clause involved, then the Germans would have to do it also, right? I just hope that we get a German AMBER sometime soon.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I have already ordered my copy of these titles but I agree with you Ed, it is unnecessary and unexpected to learn that some foreign Blu Rays have non-removable subtitles. I would think there would be many French collectors who would be annoyed about this too. I'm sure plenty can speak English well. All dvds should have a 'No subtitles' option. In some cases I can burn a copy and customize the copy to remove the otherwise non-removable subtitles. I then use that copy. This may be possible for those with burner programs which include Blu Ray discs. (I am not advocating piracy here, just a way that the person who has purchased the dvd can view it without the subtitles being forced upon him/her!)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Mike and Ken, here's what really irks me about this problem. I recently picked up the ORPHEUS and CHILDREN OF PARADISE Criterion BD releases. Of course, even these "official" US releases have removable subs, so that French customers can enjoy a French movie without having to stare at burned in English translations. Conversely, I bought the two volume FABIOLA DVDs from France, which are only in French and have French subs for the hard of hearing. I can perfectly understand that as it is a classic French film. But, when a beloved American film is ONLY AVAILABLE in France and fans here are dying to own it, it is downright rude to do this. Amazon is an international company. Don't French distribution companies selling there want our business? Well, mine goes to Germany from now on. But, the bigger problem is American film studios spitting on their own countrymen by refusing to release our classic movies to our citizens.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I have just learned that THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR is a German blu ray release for EUR 9.99 on Nov 16th. I'm guessing it has to be the same master that Twilight are using. For me, it is a cheaper deal to get it from Amazon.de than to get the US$30 Twilight version. From what I can gather, German Blu Rays offer removable subtitles, unlike many made in France. I also noticed a Doris Day/Fox set with MOVE OVER DARLING, DO NOT DISTURB and CAPRICE. They seem to be really getting "into" the Fox classics over there. Hope they release THE KING AND I and CAROUSEL in the near future. They were planned for the UK as part of a 5 feature R+H set, but last time I looked the release date was "shelved".

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The German Blu-ray of The Tall Men can be watched without sub-titles.
I think you're right to assume that this will be same transfer as Twilight Times'. I can't imagine Fox doing two separate transfers for BRDs in different continents. What would be the point?

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Update on the above Blu Rays which I have now received. I rate both transfers as excellent. If you can speak French, the extras are no doubt interesting (Leslie Caron speaks on the DADDY LONG LEGS blu ray in an extra feature). The subtitles sadly cannot be removed from AMBER but they can be removed from DADDY LONG LEGS (once you start the movie) with a remote control.
Also, the German transfers of DEAR BRIGITTE (Blu Ray and SD) and NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY are both excellent, as is the anamorphic SD transfer of ESTHER AND THE KING, also from Germany. The French SD release of THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER is non-anamorphic but a great print and the sound quality is terrific. It sounds stereo to my ears but I could be wrong.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I am happy to report that the German blu ray of THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR is a superb 2.55:1 transfer in surround sound (the information given on the back cover wrongly states that it is in 'Mono'. A website I checked corrected this and states that it is in 'Stereo Surround'). It does not have the isolated score track which the Twilight Time edition offers, however it does have superior cover art in my opinion. Plus it's a good deal cheaper!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
There are couple of new classic BDs from France that I would gladly buy, but am worried about the forced subtitle issue. A company referred to as ElephantFilms on Blu-Ray.com but called Elysees Editions on Amazon France's site have released MOULIN ROUGE (FERRER/GABOR) , LADY HAMILTON and THE FOUR FEATHERS (KORDA) in blu-ray. Reviews claim that the image quality on these is quite good. No word on the subs yet. I'll try to get more info on this matter. Am hopeful that more interesting titles will be coming from them in the near future.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
lionel59 said:
I am happy to report that the German blu ray of THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR is a superb 2.55:1 transfer in surround sound (the information given on the back cover wrongly states that it is in 'Mono'. A website I checked corrected this and states that it is in 'Stereo Surround'). It does not have the isolated score track which the Twilight Time edition offers, however it does have superior cover art in my opinion. Plus it's a good deal cheaper!
Thanks for that. I'll place my order today.
Ed Lachmann said:
There are couple of new classic BDs from France that I would gladly buy, but am worried about the forced subtitle issue. A company referred to as ElephantFilms on Blu-Ray.com but called Elysees Editions on Amazon France's site have released MOULIN ROUGE (FERRER/GABOR) , LADY HAMILTON and THE FOUR FEATHERS (KORDA) in blu-ray. Reviews claim that the image quality on these is quite good. No word on the subs yet. I'll try to get more info on this matter. Am hopeful that more interesting titles will be coming from them in the near future.
If the picture quality is first rate and there are no forced sub-titles, I'll buy Moulin Rouge which I haven't seen for more than twenty years and The Four Feathers which should look magnificent in high definition.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
lionel59 said:
Thanks for the report, I thought the English mono must be a mistake, sorry Twilight Time but this is less than half the TT price, the price seems to jump between 10 euro & 14 euro, no rush I'll think I'll wait for the 10 euro price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks