What's new

Foreign Film Preorder List (1 Viewer)

KurtE

Auditioning
Al,
I saw Marker's Tarkovsky piece at the San Francisco Film Festival. According to their program, the source for the video was AMIP in Paris. AMIP's email address is [email protected] . Might be worth an email to find out about domestic rights.
------------------
DVD's

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
New Yorker's transfers have been abysmal; they jostle with Fox Lorber for position at the bottom of the DVD mastering barrel.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Have you seen what they did to Tim Roth's The War Zone? I'm not yet convinced of their commitment to the films.
I haven't seen that one, but I'm less-than-impressed with their work on the Kore-Eda films. On the other hand, their release of Jazz on a Summer's Day is phenomenal, a brilliant transfer with a super-tasty 5.1 remix (and I'm goddam picky about those remixes) and a load of great extras.
But their record is, at best, spotty. This is particularly disconcerting considering the number of important films in their catalog.
Thanks for the info on the Marker film, Kurt! Did you like it?
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Al's DVD Collection
Al's Criterion Collection

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on director Pat O'connors 1984 release of ~ Cal ~. Or the the French film ~ Horseman On The Roof ~. Finally, Thadeus O'Sullivan's ~ Nothing Personal ~ , anyone ?
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------

Pascal A

Second Unit
Updated.
Added the following UK Region 2 exclusive titles:
2/19
La Haine (Mathieu Kassovitz)
House of Mirth (Terence Davies)
Sunshine (Istvan Szebo)
3/17
Water Drops on Burning Rocks (Francois Ozon)
3/26
La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini)
------------------
Strictly Film School

Chip_E

Agent
Way Kewl.
I've been waiting for La Dolce Vita.
Just ordered it at my favourite UK dealer...BlackStar.co.uk
for $21.04 USD delivered. A bargain for this classic.
Had the opportunity to see a Fellini series at a local Fine Arts Theater...there's nothing better than the big screen, except HT. ;-)
- Chip

Pascal A

Second Unit
I pre-ordered my copy of La Dolce Vita as well. So that's the dollar conversion - it sounds even cheaper in pounds sterling :)
Updated the list with the following:
4/3
Fall of the House of Usher (Jean Epstein)
Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean)
4/17
Life Before This (Jerry Ciccoritti)
4/24
Mon Oncle Antoine (Claude Jutra)
There are also two silents on tap for 4/24:
Eternal Love (Ernst Lubitsch)
Evangeline (Edwin Carewe)
------------------
Strictly Film School

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
For those who haven't been following the thread about the Paramount executive at HTF, he stated that Patrice Leconte's Girl on the Bridge will be released on letterboxed VHS only. No DVD. I have started a thread in the Studio & Manufacturer's Feedback section:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002048.html
Please visit it and post if you are interested in seeing this on R1 DVD.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Gimme Shelter: The Criterion Collection , Peeping Tom: The Criterion Collection , The McGarrigle Hour , The Umbrellas of Cherbourg , Beautiful People , Hard Boiled: The Criterion Collection
Best DVDs of 2000: DVD2K

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I asked him about it at Studio Day and got the bad news. Martin agreed that it was an excellent film, but he said it's potential was too limited to justify a DVD release.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...39
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I do not know if this was already mentioned. I apologize if it was I did not read the entire thread. Did anyone mention that the entire 90's Gamera trilogy is coming out oon dvd in japan. They will be released seperatley on 2/21/2001 and in a box set on 3/21/2001. Can anyone tell me if the discs that released seperatley will be english subtitled. I read that only the box set discs will have english subtitles.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Some info regarding Jean Epstein's silent adaptation of the Poe classic, The Fall of the House of Usher, available on DVD 4/3/01 (let's hope it's a good, clean print and a great transfer).
usher.gif

"In terms of French cinema, Usher is on a par with La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc!"
~Henri Langlois, Cahiers du Cinema
  • 66 minutes, B&W, 1928, silent with music score
  • Original aspect ratio: Academy standard 1.33:1
  • Mastered from 35mm preservation positive, music by acclaimed music historian Rolande de Cande adapted from medieval music
  • Suggested Retail Price $24.98/Coming April 3, 2001!
"Jean Epstein is one of the most interesting figures of French film history. Initially a poet, he made 41 films between 1922 and 1948. He combined two Edgar Allan Poe stories in this masterful depiction of the darkest aspect of the artistic imagination. It is a Pygmalian story in reverse, where the painting draws away the life of the beloved model. No other film of the period so powerfully uses the visual representation of a sound. Here, the Orphic music of the artist, who plays a guitar, and the forces of nature continually shift between cause and effect, imitation and inspiration, benign and demonic. Epstein portrays a hopelessly obsessive aesthetic vision as a wild confusion of the mind and exterior world, through the marvelous use of differing degrees of slow-motion."
~P. Adams Sitney
Death is not the end!
Usher2.gif
Usher1.gif

Pascal A

Second Unit
Larry, I tried to dig up some information, and all I could find was that the Gamera 2 is listed in YesAsia as having English and Chinese subtitles. The boxset is also described on AsiaDVDguide as the films having subtitles, but not the supplementary material, so maybe that is the source of the discrepancy.
Al, regarding Fall of the House of Usher, I didn't realize that Bunuel collaborated on this one. Sounds like a winner!
drool.gif

------------------
Strictly Film School

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Usher is one of the few Bunuel projects I've yet to see. I've read and wondered about it for years.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
You've sold me on this one, Al. I've only seen the Vincent Price version. I assume they bear little, if any, resemblance.
Does it have any similarity to Dreyer's Vampyre? That's what the stills you posted reminded me of, anyway.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...35
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Brooke, I only know Usher by reputation, but I agree with you about the Vampyr thing - that was also my first reaction!
Another of the French silent avant-garde films I'd really to see is La Roue by Abel Gance, one of the key films of cinematic Impressionism. Of course, a restoration of the original 8-hour cut would be great, but I guess I'd settle for the Cinematheque Francaise's 5-hour restored cut.
Read all about La Roue Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks