What's new

Foreign/Art/Independent Film DVD Preorder List II (1 Viewer)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I've added the following:

4/23

Happenstance (Fiorode, France) New Yorker

Sonatine (Kitano, Japan) MIA Video Entertainment [R2 - UK]

5/7

Waking Life (Linklater, US) Fox

Croupier (Hodges, Germany/UK) Film Four [R2 - UK]

Intimacy (Chereau, France) Pathe [R2 - UK]

5/14

General Idi Amin Dada: Self Portrait (Schroeder, France) Criterion

5/21

L.I.E. (Cuesta, US) New Yorker

The Piano Teacher (Haneke, France) Artificial Eye [R2 - UK]

5/28

Gosford Park (Altman, US) USA

Traffic (Soderbergh, US) Criterion

6/4

Blue Velvet Special Edition (Lynch, US) MGM [16 x 9]

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Altman, US) Warner [16 x 9]

Jacques

Grip
Is Liv Ullmann's Trolösa (aka Faithless) available anywhere? It opened in limited release in the U.S. over a year ago, and I can't seem to determine who would have the rights in R1. IDP appears to have distributed it theatrically, along with Innocence, which should also be due for release on DVD by now, one would think...

Jacques

Grip
No offence guys, but doesn't anyone use imdb.com?
Umm... thanks. I used the IMDB to determine who distributed it theatrically, but it isn't the first place I look for DVD information... Often it's not even the first place I look for film information, beyond cast/crew listings. For what it's worth, the "DVD Details" link Link Removed is greyed out, unless I'm missing something?
Anyway, I was just curious about availability in other regions. Just for fun, I had searched the DVD-Basen site for reviews from any region and turned up empty; out of curiosity, does anyone own the R2 disc, and can comment on quality? I'm really interested in an R1 release, or to at least find out who the rights holder is... as suggested in my previous post.

Ali B

Second Unit
Some fantastic stuff coming up from Metro-Tartan in the UK:
May 20th
"Into the Woods" A Tartan Terror release
"Freeze Me (2000)" An Asia Extreme Release. From Japan's Ishii Takashi
June 17th
"A Ma Soeur !" (2001)
"Dead or Alive" An Asia Extreme Release. From Miike Takashi, director of "Audition"
"Vacas " From Spains's Julio Medem
"Red Squirrel " From Spains's Julio Medem
July 22nd
"Bangkok Dangerous (2000)" An Asia Extreme Release.
"Element of Crime" An early feature from from Lars Von Trier
"Europa" An early feature from from Lars Von Trier
"Trauma (1993)" From Dario Argento
"Phantom of the Opera (2000)" From Dario Argento
Mmmmmm, more Medem ;)
And some from Film Four:
"Croupier" 20 May 2002
"Late Night Shopping" 17 Jun 2002
"Monsoon Wedding" 17 Jun 2002
"Salaam Bombay" 17 Jun 2002
"Lucky Break" 19 Aug 2002
"Invincible" Aug 2002
"Bully" Sep 2002
"Dog Eat Dog" Oct 2002
"Large" Oct 2002
"Charlotte Gray" Nov 2002
ali

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Ted

If I had to guess, I would say that it would be the same as the company's rental only version which was widescreen (I'm not sure if it was anamorphic). However, I will wait and see before I decide to order it. If anyone knows for sure please post. Thanks.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Oh no, I ordered the nonanamorphic Europa from Spain, I bet Tartan's will be anamorphic.
Good news about Croupier

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
New York Stories is coming out in UK-R2 on April 8th. Does anyone know if this will be widescreen or not? Thanks.

Ali B

Second Unit
Just a quick warning on the Tartan discs - they have a habit of using used theatrical prints as source materials sometimes....

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever Tartans source as always anamorphic blows non anamorphic out of the water, I upgraded my Criterion Hard Boiled with their version which proved this point quite nicely.

Re UK Croupier, the rental was very nice anamorphic transfer, but I just don't understand the appeal of this film, I love Get Carter & like Clive Owen but thought this was very average 'just as happy to watch once, as to never watch it again' like say The Sixth Sense, it's like an episode of NYPD Blue good but I don't need to ever see it again, nothing stood out, and I'm not talking of over acting like Hopkins, anyway just my opinion.

Also re UK Sonatine, it's non 16:9 and the Violent Cop from same company was a turd (for quality)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Scorcese's New York, New York is available for pre-order with a May release date at a South African (R2?) site. A title search wouldn't pull it up for me, but I could get some info by looking through the Coming Soon listings. Don't know if it will be anamorphic.
New York, New York at dvdsa
Also, Robert Altman's Streamers is getting a release in the UK on May 1st, but I couldn't track down tech specs.
Here's a film I missed in the cinema - Claude Chabrol's Madame Bovary is being released on April 22nd in the UK. I'm not aware of it being released in R1.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Bertolucci's The Sheltering Sky is coming out on May 1st in UK-R2.
Also Kazan's Baby Doll and A Face in the Crowd are up for pre-order in UK-R2 for a 5/20 release date.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Updated with 26 ( :eek: ) titles, most of them Region 2. My thanks to everyone, especially Ali, for the contributions.
Note that the edition of The Royal Tenenbaums due in July from Buena Vista appears to be featureless, which lends support to the rumors of a special edition to come from Criterion at a later date. I still haven't seen it but am anxious to, in spite of the unfavorable comparisons with Rushmore

Ali B

Second Unit
Is the current region 1 release of La Tierra any good (ie correct aspect ratio, good print etc)? Tartan don't seem to be releasing that one.
Plus, some details on the UK Intimacy disc:
for release May 6th priced at £19.99. the disk will feature a 2.35:1 anamorphic picture and a DD 5.1 soundtrack.
Also "At the Height of Summer" gets released by Artificial Eye on 25th March
ali

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Vanguard Tierra is OAR but not anamorphic. I'll have to pop it in to check on the print quality. I can vouch for the film itself though -- one of the best movies of that year (whatever year that was :) )
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks