What's new

Ford Thunderbird (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Two questions for the assembled experts: What do you all think of the "new" Thunderbird? What can one buy one for?I've heard that it's not really selling well and one might get one appreciably lower than sticker.

E

Eric Kahn

Ugly, underpowered and overpriced, not to mention that it was designed for munchkins:D
you would be better off buying a corvette convertible or if money is a problem, a mustang convertible

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, thanks, no paucity of opinions, I see. :) Let's narrow the focus a bit and just say that I truly love the looks of this car (grew up riding in my dad's black '64, lots of good memories) and have no interest in Mustangs or other "sports" cars. Any input on pricing?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yes, indeed, thank you. As helpful as that was, I was hoping for something a little more specific, like what they were actually selling for.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
While I personally wouldn't buy a new Thunderbird, it would be a perfect third car for some people. I'd expect at least $5000 off sticker.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
The Mustang is build on an old, dated platform (it dates back to the 80's). The T-Bird is based on the Lincoln LS platform. This is the same one the new 2005 Mustang will be built on.

I believe the newest T-Birds have around 280HP, which is more than the Mustang GT. That being said, the T-Bird is no sports car, but it's got good power, unique looks, and some exclusivity, unlike the Mustang which you see everywhere.

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
How about a Boxster? Classic styling, good power-to-weight ratio, unbelievable handling, and a great name behind it. You're in the same price range, or could even move up to a Boxster S if you want to go used.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I have seen ads in the LA Times for new T-birds at $33K. They aren't selling well and last I heard they had A LOT of stock. You should be able to get one for substantially lower than sticker.

Happy hunting!

-Keith

E

Eric Kahn

Ford will discontinue it and have no idea (as usual) why it was not selling, underpowered for the price range and what it is supposed to compete against, very small inside, does not resemble the original T-bird, if it did, it would sell like there was no tommorow

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I have seen the new T-Bird advertised in the NY Times for as low as $29.5K at dealers ... and this is for NEW ones, not used.

Jason_H

Second Unit
I believe the newest T-Birds have around 280HP, which is more than the Mustang GT.
I'm no fan of either car, but just to point out that the T-bird weighs in at 500 pounds more than the Mustang GT! That is a lot in terms of cars...

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Personally, I think it's a damn smart lookin' vehicle. My jaw hit the floor the first time I saw it. (It was sitting at an International Car Show, right next to a '60's model T-Bird.)

I do agree that it's overpriced though. Ford will be discontinuing it? That's too bad.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I like it too. Not surprised that it's not selling well, the people who are going to buy it are also looking at BMW and Mercedes class cars, which the T-Bird just isn't at yet.

The new T-Bird was never meant to compete in the Mustang muscle-car arena, so comparing it to a mustang is pointless.

Ford does some strange stuff though. The T-Bird didn't sell well, so they're canceling it. But then they're coming out with a superhigh-end Mustang (better than the Cobra) that will be crazy expensive, and only people looking at porches and the like will consider. And of course they're not going to buy a Mustang.

That company makes some strange decisions sometimes.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Ford does some strange stuff though. The T-Bird didn't sell well, so they're canceling it. But then they're coming out with a superhigh-end Mustang (better than the Cobra) that will be crazy expensive, and only people looking at porches and the like will consider.
Are you referring to the Ford GT? It has absolutely zero to do with the Mustang, it is their revival of the old GT40 and will retail around $120k. It is basically their "halo" or supercar.

Many other automakers do the same thing...Mercedes has their SLR coming out (preceeded by the legendary McLaren F1), Porsche has the GT2, Honda the NSX, Dodge the Viper, etc. Just a chance to show the world what they can do and lend prestige to the rest of their product line. Ford sorely needs something like this right now, this is coming from the mouth of somebody who is pretty skeptical of all Ford autos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks