What's new

Forced To Watch Pan and Scam In School!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
Tell your teacher from now on all of your homework will be turned in on paper that is 18" by 24", formatted to fit your desk. :)

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Following a technical discussion on "Map of the Human Heart", I told my teacher that I only watch films in their original aspect ratio.

She gave me a funny look.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Back when I was in High School, We had to watch a recorded version of Das Boot. It was grainy, It was dubbed, It was Pan and Scammed, and it was in glorious mono. Wolfgang Peterson would have cried had he seen what the picture looked like on the tape.

I hate VHS.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
We watch lots of movies in my school that are taped off the Big Four.
The only widescreen experience I can recall in school is that last semester in an English class, we watched "To Kill A Mockingbird" in widescreen, since it was taped off TCM. No one even noticed... shows what a big deal it is to the supposed P&S ranks:).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was forced to watch a lot of VHS tapes on mono VCRs- several of them were even hooked up to stereo TVs! I protested by falling asleep and making note of the bad presentation on any assignment I had to do.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that the size of the TV determines whether people accept P&S or WS. The only time someone complained about WS was when it was on a small TV, but nobody complains when its on a big TV.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I watched Jurassic Park in elementary school once near the end of the year when teachers have nothing else for the students to do...
:laugh:
We're watching MACBETH in english class, and yaknow how the credits in P&S movies are always in LBX? Well the teacher remarks (sarcastically) "And we get this wonderful image *points at the two bars* but thankfully it goes away later"
:angry:

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Andrew;

I know exactly how you feel. I took a film class my last semester in college that dealt with the way Native Americans were portrayed in movies throughout the years. The professor set up the class so that we would watch movies in roughly a chronological order. We would start with the '30s and eventually move our way into the '90s.

At first the whole question of OAR wasn't an issue, since movies from the '30s, '40s, and early '50s weren't released that way, but after we got to the '50s... Oh boy! It was Pan & Scan Hell.

The funny thing is, I do believe the professor was a film buff who knew a thing or two about widescreen. He even had a DVD player that he brought to class a couple times. One day I remember in particular was when he showed us The Searchers in widescreen. He even commented that it was the widescreen version as if to boast about it. I do believe we also watch The Last of the Mohicans (1992)in widescreen as well.

Ultimately, I can't fault him too badly for the shaky OAR policy. Many of the films we watched were lesser-known works which may have only been available in P&S VHS.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
i must be missing something. you said that you saw The Patriot on DVD in school. since the DVD contains only a widescreen transfer, you presumably must've watched it in widescreen. you then said that "[a]lthough it's Super-35, the movie is very well shot and composed!" so...what's that got to do with a P&S version? and if you were simply saying that the widescreen version was preferrable to the "full screen" version, why did you mention Super35 at all?
Super-35 films can have their cinematography compositions "hidden" when shown unmatted. When the mattes are put back on, the picture becomes perfect in compositions (for that film)
What I'm trying to say is that The Patriot's cinematography isn't as good when it's shown without 2.35:1 matting. It's essentially a different movie in terms of mood. The P&S version makes the movie look like an HBO original movie made for TV.
I'll get the flowcharts out next time. :D

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
What I'm trying to say is that The Patriot's cinematography isn't as good when it's shown without 2.35:1 matting. It's essentially a different movie in terms of mood. The P&S version makes the movie look like an HBO original movie made for TV.
But the version you was widescreen, not pan and scan. Right?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I gets worse!!!! RTT and JP I can deal with, but now it seems we'll be watching SAVING PRIVATE FRICKIN' RYAN in school in these next few weeks. As if pan and scam wasn't bad enough, SPR is the one film that ABSOLUTELY needs 5.1 to achieve the proper effect.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> schools should not show movies during class for enjoyment
And what better way to reduce the enjoyment than by showing P&S?
What's up with feature films in school? We never got to see them, only short educational films, like the ones where a careless shop student gets a board thru his gut. :D (Is that one on DVD yet?)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I saw many movies in high school for enjoyment. My friend had an Academy screener of Forest Gump and got our math teacher to show it to all her classes. In my senior year after all of my AP classes were over, we had a little more than a month to do whatever we wanted in class. Once when we had a substitute in calculus, someone brought in that Kids in the Hall movie. The substitute made us shut it off after 20 minutes into the movie. :)
~T

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
We also have the AP classes that watch movies for a month or so (and don't have to take finals). I'm hoping for some AP classes my senior (if not junior) year, and I'll try to protest against P&S films if we get stuck with any.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks