What's new

Forced to downsize :( (2 Viewers)

frankinG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi nick .I would asume that if your apartment is as small as you say it is that you probably will not even have any available wall space to project on. Have you thought about the correct projector throw distance to even achieve a 60" or smaller diagonal picture size. It sounds that you are downsizing because of space constraints and are experiencing hometheater withdrawlitis. Fully understandable. If it takes 5 people to move a 250 lb television then they must not have had there wheatties that day. Get a sony 32-34" widescreen direct view set and be prepared for the best picture on the planet if properly calibrated. This is coming from a former owner of one of these sets. To avoid the "my projector is better than your projector people" I will refrain from mentioning brand names and tell you that with the 33,000$ front projection system Which I currently own, I sometimes long for the beautiful super sharp and artifiact free picture from my old sony xbr800. Yes, you will be told by other x brand television owners that there flat screen lcd and dlp televisions are better but they really know better and will never admit it. Crt for direct view televisions are king. Yes I know that after experiencing a large screen it is quite painfull to down size. We home theater aficionados feel your pain. If you need some more details than feel free to post again with more replys.:D :D :D

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for your thoughts, Franklin. You are probably right when I comes down to overall PQ. But the more I think of projection, the more I am liking it. (That damned DaveF!) My livingroom has a drop ceiling. I could easily mount a roll up screen and then get the projector in place when it is movie time. Afterwards...HT? What HT? There will be no big CRT device taking up precious room. I do have enough distance for a decent sized image, according to the various calculators I have consulted.

The big problem will be ambient light, as I live in the city now. Blessedly, this apt has many windows, and all have blinds, but they don't completely darken by any stretch.

I also like the fact that once I am in a home again (WHICH WILL HAVE A DEDICATED HT!), I can at least start out with my projector and eventually upgrade. Hell, by then, we will be up to 780 for sure. What will I do with the 34" widescreen CRT? I have never been a "TV in the bedroom" or "TV in the kitchen" kind of person. One display device, done right, for cinematic magic.

DaveF planted a seed...and it is taking root. Yikes.

Nick B

frankinG

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, you are a true diehard theater nut like many of us and that is great. A drop down screen and ceiling mounted projector would be your best bet for close quarters especialy that you mentioned about having adequate throw distance from your research. The ambient light issue is a whole other issue in regards to your numerous windows. If you get some really tight fitting blinds then the infocus light cannon which you mentioned will be extremely pleasing due to it,s tremendous light output. Best of all is that it is not a expensive combo and your theater experience will be quite explosive compared to your rptv.I would say to GO FOR IT! Let us know how you make out.:emoji_thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fortunately someone popped in with some actual knowledge about projectors. :) I don't own one, and have only dabbled briefly when I borrowed one to practice my thesis defense. That was in a small apartment, set on the coffee table about 8 feet from the wall to get a 50" image. I also played a few games of Rogue Leader on my N64 with it. So, they can work in limited spaces.

A projector could be fun. A table-top 40" RPTV might be a good choice. A 34" widescreen Sony Wega would be a great display, but I wouldn't choose it for the reasons I stated.

If you were to be in the apartment for a few years, I'd be more amenable to the CRT.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
The H31 is a little brighter then the 4805 so that would help with your lighting. You could also build a screen with blackout cloth and a wooden frame. You then just paint the cloth (actually you paint the vinyl side) with any numerous paints (check avsforum for the differen types of paints). You could just hang the screen right on the wall and if you wanted to take it down for some reason just take it off the wall and hide it under your bed.

You could also use blackout cloth to hang in front of your windows to cut out the light, because thats what its for.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are great. I am a HT nut. I know I'm an HT nut. I accept the fact. I will definitely keep you posted on how this turns out. And Blake, based on my AVS research, I am leaning ever so slightly toward the H31, for the reason you stated, as well as its quieter fan noise. Thank you again for all of your thoughtful comments.

Nick B

frankinG

Stunt Coordinator
Nick. Just one last comment before you take the dlp plunge. Lower end dlp projectors are the most problematic for rainbow artifiacts if you are suseptable to them. The problem you will not know until you watch a few hours of dlp entertainment. I had no problem until weeks after i purchased my infocus 5700. My wife did not have any problems but some of my friends did. Thats why you have to try one out in a store if the people are nice enough to let you spend a few hours in there demo room. DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT let any one convince you you will be okay because I belong to a fairly large ht club and this topic is always comming up with our members. I love dlp but I have 2 lcd projectors because of this reason. Higher end lcd projectors like the sanyo z3 and panasonic 700 will evenexcell at picture quality over most lower end dlp projectors and are easy on the eyes to watch for long extended viewing periods. Once you purchase your projector, you OWN it at most stores.Imagine buying an item and being stuck with it. The choice is obviously yours in the end and your enjoyment comes first over all others. This small bit of advice in our home theater club is always given to projector newbies with good reason. You generaly get what you pay for and it is advisable to research some extensive reviews on you choices. Best of luck and keep us posted. NOTE: With a smallish screen size and your ambient light issue, you may want to investigate a slight negative gain screen compared to a brilliant white screen. Projectors set up for smaller than 87" screen sizes with higher than average light output will reveal an overly bright image with more noticable dithering artifacts in dark areas. This can of course be somewhat repaired with the right calibration. Negative gain screens hide these artifacts well without having to settle with a dim picture because you have to control the contrast. Smaller roooms will almost force you to wear sunglasses during those sudden extreeme high contrast scenes. But everyone has there own preferences so you will be the final judge. NOTE: This is only with good light control in the room to begin with. Light control is only an issue during the day time. Obviously, most critical viewing is done during the evening after most peoples normal working hours, unless job hours didcate otherwise. Be patient and you shall make better choices.

Jeff*K

Agent
I can feel your pain, Nick. I had to downgrade in size myself when I moved into a new apartment. I used to carry a 60" LCD rear projection tv but now I only care about my bedroom with a 26" samsung hdtv widescreen. I'm actually happy with my purchase, I actually got some cushion with the cash I got.

randySH

Agent
I just put a 32 inch Sharp Aquos LCD in my bedroom with HDTV signal and it is the best pic I have ever seen.

I dont know if you wanna go LCD or not, but if you do, Sharp is the best I have seen!

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Gentlemen:

I am headed headlong down the projector path. I did a bit of calculating this weekend, and I will be able to swing a mamoth pic (87"!!) on a screen that I can roll up and make all but disappear when not in use.

For the price of a 32" CRT, I will be gaining picture size and the ability to hide the gear (projector itself is very small). I will lose pic quality (native resolution of projector is only 480), compared to CRT or LCD, but not too much. Or so I have read. This will be a DVD machine alomost 100% of the time, so they are only 480 anyway.

The two projectors that are tied for my #1 pick are the Infocus 4805 and the Optima H31. Both are an incredible value.

I have to admit that even before I was forced to downsize, as I was sitting in my dedicated HT room, with my 7.1 surround sound system and Denon 3805, I found my 55" screen to be the weakest link. Having all of that gear and sitting only 6' from the screen...

So now circumstance has nudged me in this direction. Perhaps it will be a flop. Perhaps my next HT will have a 120" picture. I will be your guinea pig and report faithfully. Right now, PQ is my biggest concern. Take care.

Nick B

frankinG

Stunt Coordinator
Nick. There are never flopers in this hobby as long as we have a passion for our favourite pastime. I am sure you will have more fun searching for the ultimate system than watching it. The need to upgrade constantly for 99% of us show this as fact. Best of luck!:)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Nick,

When your too lazy to set up that screen for daytime viewing or talking heads you could pick up an analog set like the 27" Sharp or Sony with 16:9 mode or even a budget 27" Sanyo at Walmart.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't that just the way, guys? Get my projector, screen and sound system set. Then, sure, I'll pick up a cheapo 27" Sanyo at Wal-Mart for the reasons Gil stated. But then...for just a bit more money I could get something a little bigger. And after all, Sony does have such a nice picture. And I might want to watch movies during the day so widescreen might be nice...

DOUGH! It's the HT Trap! Run! Because if you don't the answer, when you are agonizing over which one, is BOTH!!

Let's start with the projector. If it really knocks my socks off, I won't get to lazy. You guys crack me up.

Nick

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks:
Just wanted to give you an update. I have ordered an Optoma H31 PJ and a Da-lite Model B 92" HD High Power screen. As for source, I have already received my Panasonic S97 DVD player. Thinking I have dilligently done my homework, this set up should be great. And now for the wait...... Take care.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks