What's new

FORBIDDEN PLANET and other SF films on the Big Screen! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Tino, I couldn't make the CE3K showing, but I hear it went off very well. A virtually brand-new print of the final "Director's Cut" (or whatever they call the version on the DVD) was screened. The audience was over 200 strong, which is more than I thought would be there for it.

I was there all day today - what an experience! Took my son and a friend to see the "kiddie" show of Brain from Planet Arous and Dr. Who & the Daleks. I also had the pleasure of meeting fellow HTF member Bill Huelbig at the matinee. Both prints were near-mint, the audience (around 100) was having a real good time, especially with Brain. Dr Who - for a Peter Cushing fan such as myself - was treat to see in Technicolor and Techniscope, even though it's deadly slow and juvenile. Went to dinner, got my wife to take my son home - three movies in one day would have been too much for him - and then went back for Forbidden Planet.

Am I glad I went back! First, there was a huge line waiting to get in (final attendance was somewhere north of 600 people!). Then, after the usual introductions, there were trailers and a very amusing MGM short about Perspecta Sound, which gave a brief introduction about how it will sound. This item was produced in late 1955 (and included a clip from Forbidden Planet that had a scene NOT in the final film!) and was a treat. Old-timers will remember the days of HiFi test records with ping-pong stereo and train sounds. This short was along similar lines and really primed the audience for the show. Then, there was another MGM short subject ("The Thieving Magpie Overture" by the MGM Orchestra) and a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

Now, the main event. The curtain opened on the big, wide, screen and my eyes nearly fell out. The color was flawless! Anybody who's seen Forbidden Planet theatrically will tell you the color is always a crapshoot, though MGM has struck new prints from time-to-time. The color on this print was AMAZING! For the first time (and I've seen FP in 35mm a bunch of times) you could really see the green sky and the colors inside the spaceship. Gone was the overcast of red, which had a nice side benefit of making all the dupe opticals look better than ever. Another great thing was the condition of the print - near lab-mint quality. Aside from some very slight negative wear (identifiable by white marks), the print was super-clean. I detected almost no dirt and wear. Bob informed me that the print was right from the MGM archive and had probably only seen a couple of playdates and no platters. Then there is the Perspecta Sound. What a difference from straight single-speaker mono! The panning of the stage speakers was smooth as could be and really added to the presentation. I can only hope that when Warner reissues the DVD that they try to include the Perspecta track as well as the rechanneled stereo track.

The audience was really into the picture as well. The folks in the row behind me had not seen the film before and their kids were getting frightened during the "Monsters from the id" sequence. A great round of applause followed the closing curtain and another great film memory is planted in my brain.

Seeing FP this way was nearly as impressive as the 70mm 2001: A Space Odyssey screening I saw last November at the Uptown in Washington - that's how good the Loew's presentation is! I URGE all HTF members in the New York metro area to make it out to the Loew's for a show. Next weekend is your last chance until the fall season starts. GOLDFINGER on Friday night, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE on Saturday afternoon and DR. NO on Saturday night All three will be IB Technicolor prints and will be spectacular!

Thanks for reading...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pete
Sounds like I missed some good shows.:frowning: I am glad to hear that they went very well. I know that there won't be any more shows after the Bond festival until the fall (no air-conditioning in the theater..yet) so I was wondering if Bob has clued you in on any future festivals?
Some films I would love to see are epic blockbusters like Jaws, Star Trek: TMP, Alien, The Black Hole, Superman, Raiders King Kong ('33 and '76) etc.. On the BIG screen at the Loews Jersey would be awesome.:)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Thanks, Peter, for capturing every aspect of what the FORBIDDEN PLANET show was like in your excellent post. I was glad to actually meet you in person as well. I wonder how many people besides me were there last night because you first spread the word on HTF.

What a night - seeing a line of people waiting to get in that stretched all the way to the corner, having a hot dog at Boulevard Drinks (which has been next door to the theater for 65 years), seeing FORBIDDEN PLANET at the same theater where it played first-run in May 1956 - it was the closest thing to a trip in a time machine that I'll ever have. The program reproduces the original newspaper ad from 1956: I can imagine people sitting impatiently through the co-feature BLACKJACK KETCHUM, DESPERADO to get to the good stuff.

The program also listed the following hints for the upcoming fall schedule:

A silent film classic presented with full orchestral accompaniment

A special film celebration of Frank Sinatra's birthday (a trailer for ROBIN AND THE 7 HOODS was shown last night)

A weekend of classic musicals, showcasing the Jersey's stereo sound capabilities

A Sherlock Holmes festival, including newly restored 35mm prints of the classic Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce mysteries

A festival honoring Technicolor, utilizing many rare, archival dye-transfer 35mm prints

A weekend of widescreen CinemaScope classics, utilizing the theatre's new full stage 50-foot screen

Horror classics will be presented during the Halloween season

The Jersey's 73rd birthday will be celebrated with a program of Loew's Greatest Hits, the movies that played to the largest crowds during the theatre's golden age

plus many more special film events.

Can't wait to hear the actual titles. Up to now the film programmer at the Loew's is batting 1.000.

--Bill

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Glad you were there, Bill.

Tino, Bill's got lineup for the fall/winter in his post. Obviously, no titles are confirmed yet, but that listing should give you a good idea of what's coming.

This hasn't been announced officially yet, but here's a tidbit of 2003's lineup:
We will be doing 3-D shows next year, for the big 50th anniversary (of 3-D). Watch for some ultra-rare dual-strip Polaroid material from the 1950's, including Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dangerous Mission, Gog, The Glass Web, Bwana Devil, Robot Monster, The Maze, Devil's Canyon, Cat Woman of the Moon, The French Line, and many more! The Loew's Jersey is the exclusive venue for presentations from the vaults of the 3-D Archives.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'm sure Bob Furmanek has a GREAT 3-D line-up in the works

as he has access to one of the largest 3-D collections in

the world. He has also saved many 3-D films from being lost

forever. Any 3-D festival he throws will be something rare

and special.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh, why do special screenings of this magnitude never happen here in the damn city that makes these great movies? :frowning:
Peter: You sort of made up for it all by offering your superb, detailed, and effectively descriptive post. (You should write for magazines sometime! :))
My envy is the same color as Altair 4's sky.
By the way, you and Bill met last night. How did the two of you recognize each other as HTFers? Did you make plans to meet?
I want to see that print!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jack, *somebody* out there has to book it. There are rep houses in LA with good 'scope presentation (minus the Perspecta Sound, of course :) ) to justify it. Time to get a campaign going to get it screened!
No, we made no meet plans. He, luckily, recognized my "Hammer Films" hat while I was sitting there during the matinee. Last time I tried to arrange a "meet" of HTF there, the place was mobbed and we couldn't hook up.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
included a clip from Forbidden Planet that had a scene NOT in the final film!
Care to shed any light as to what scene this was?

By the way, how is the parking at the Loews? I drove up there today just to make sure I could find it at night for the Bond films, and I didn't see any public parking lots. Was I just not looking hard enough?

Neil

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The scene was an extended edit of the scene where Robby first drives up to the ship. It had no music and was a long shot of Robby actually at the controls of the craft - probably about 5-10 seconds at most. (It also may have been shown as part of the deleted scenes on the old Criterion LaserDisc.) You can see in the final film where the edit occurs - after the long shot of the smoke trail, we cut right to him driving into camp. The scene I described was right in-between those two shots.
I don't know which direction you came from - if the theater was on your right, then you needed to bear right at the light (you have to, anyway) past the theater, then go down that block to the next right you can make. Make the turn onto that street (Tonnelle Ave.), go about 20 yards and make a right onto Magnolia (a small dead-end-looking street). Go to the end and the theater's back walls are right in front of you. Turn left at the end and there is a public garage right there. Park and follow the walkway to the street. Alternately, you can park at the ADP Building's garage, which is also on Kennedy Blvd. about 2 blocks north of the theater. The website has a directions page also: http://www.loewsjersey.org/directions.html . Parking is described throughout.
Hope to see you there - I don't know which of the 007's I'll be attending, though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pete, I usually park on the street near the theater to avoid the $8 fee, or is that lot you're talking about free? I drove up to it once and thought it was a bit expensive, or am I mistaken?

Parking on the street is free after 6 PM and all day Sunday.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Tino,

No, that garage is not free. I'm always running a little bit behind schedule and don't have the time to look for a spot on those streets. I know I could go around the block a few times, but the way the traffic is on Kennedy around that corner, I'm afraid I'll take too long. What street do you find a spot on?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I usually park right next to the diner on Sip street, about 2 blocks from the theater.
I have never had a problem finding a spot on the street nor have I ever had anything happen to my vehicle. It's a pretty safe neighborhood anyway.
Id rather give my money to the Loews Jersey than a parking garage any day.:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pete

I'm not sure which way is south in regard to the theater, but after you pass the theater on the right, you bear right on Kennedy and continue for a block or so. You will see the diner on your left, which is on Sip. I park right around that area (not in the Diner lot, they tow).

Joel H

Auditioning
Pete,
Wow...could I be any more envious of you and the theater that you have out there.
Sounds like a great time - hope to see something similar out here on the left coast. (Okay Jack - sounds like a great opportunity for a meet, whatdayathink!)
Joel
"What do you mean my sub-woofers too loud!?!" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks