What's new

For something different: Commercials you actually like! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And the one for Ford Fusion (where the woman pulls up to a drive-through dry-cleaner and pays for the next guy and asks the lady to hand him her card) also has a very attractive female lead.
Yes, she's very cute. I couldn't have even told you what that ad was for, though. . . .

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
There are some commercials that only come out during the holidays that I want to see back, the main of these being the M&Ms encountering Santa, when Santa and the Red faint. The Yellow saying, "Uh, Santa?" is just so cute!

Way back when in the early 1970s, Coke had one of a large group of people singing, "I'd like to teach the world to sing", that I really and truly miss. I thought it was so pretty as a kid, and since the awareness of product placement saturation was still years in the future, ("I'd like to buy the world a coke") it just worked for me. Mostly what I remembered was the singing, which at that time, sounded like the voices of angels to me.

Another commercial series I remember well from the 1970s was the original Dentyne (sp?) "Brush your breath" commercials, my favorite verse being:

"Your hair's a dream, your dress divine,

But your breath could frighten Frankenstein.

Brush your breath, brush your breath, brush your breath with Dentyne!"

I think the reason I remember that one so well was because when visiting family down South, my grandmother's sister, a Sunday school teacher, mentioned how much her students liked commercial jingles, and I spent an hour transcribing as many verses of that song as I could remember at that moment in time.

Seeing the Dentyne commercials now is just depressing with the pseudo-sexy types prowling around.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming said:
Agree, the Star Trek spoof for DirectTV is pretty good, I'm assuming they were able to get Shatner to do the new dialog, and they appear to have CG'ed his lips/face to match the new dialog -- his face looks rather plasticky, but then again some would say that's exactly how he looks on Boston Legal nowadays...
OMG! That's a scene from a movie? They dubbed the dialogue? I suddenly feel like a senior citizen who has been duped and doesn't know the reality of what's going on around him. I thought they assembled the actors on a set and shot it new. I HAD NO IDEA the visuals were edited from a film. The only "dialogue" which didn't seem natural to me (of all things) was the Spock throat-clearing when Shatner uses the work "illogical".
Damn, I feel stupid.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I've been saying that about you for years. . . .
:laugh: Ouch!
The weird thing for me...as I've been thinking about this....is that I never even wondered if the video had been lifted from one of the movies. AND, I even questioned why Shatner would have donned that poofy toupee again since I didn't think he was wearing it anymore.
Anybody got a bridge they want to sell me? Or, speakers from the back of a white van? :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Anybody got a bridge they want to sell me? Or, speakers from the back of a white van? :D
I think Dennis is selling DVD Rewinders in another thread.... :D

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The only Geico ads I like are the ones with Little Richard and Don LaFontaine. The other ones annoy me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
OMG! That's a scene from a movie? They dubbed the dialogue? I suddenly feel like a senior citizen who has been duped and doesn't know the reality of what's going on around him. I thought they assembled the actors on a set and shot it new. I HAD NO IDEA the visuals were edited from a film. The only "dialogue" which didn't seem natural to me (of all things) was the Spock throat-clearing when Shatner uses the work "illogical".
Damn, I feel stupid.
Alright. I've been meaning to resurrect this thread for awhile, but I've forgotten (another sign of getting old!).
I've had the chance to see that DirectTV commercial a LOT lately and I'm now going to say it looks like a clever, well-done blend of movie scenes with new material involving Shatner (all the more funny that they had to put him back in the poofy toupee!). :D
If you watch the opening scene near the beginning where Shatner is on the bridge looking straight into the camera saying his lines, the people in the background are not moving but the "computer lights" are blinking. The big panel of lights shows an obvious edit where the static background is obviously looped and edited to maintain the background for a little longer than originally held to fit the scene of the commerical. As I've studied it it is quite clever because much of it has Shatner walking away from the camera (the movie scenes, I'm guessing)...so as not to require a complex re-shoot. And it is easier to see now how they wove the Walter Koenig and Leonard Nimoy parts into the commercial.
Now I don't feel nearly as dumb as I did earlier! ;) Mike steps back to allow the onslaught of wise comments to come his way after that set-up!

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator
I LIKE THE ONE WITH KID GETTING AWAY WITH ALL SORTS OF CRAZY STUFF CAUSE HIS MOM SAID HE COULD.(DRIVING,AIR DIVING AMONG SOME)THEY LATER SHOW HIM WALKING TO HER ROOM ASKING IF HE DO SOMETHING CRAZY TO THEIR PET AND SHE SAYS......YES.....YES.YEEEES.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There's a new Blistex commercial that's worth a rewind just for the gorgeous actress. She's looking down, putting on Blistex, and she says, "Wow!" and looks up with these exotic green eyes.
The caveman interview commercial is good. The one actor doesn't look terribly much like O'Reilly, but he's got the mannerisms down cold.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's from at least last year, but I love the Fruit of the Loom Christmas ad. That version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman is peaceful and lovely. Fruit of the Loom always has great music in their ads. I also like the old-timey song in the other ad.
I had a dream that you were mine, dear
A song of heaven was in your voice, dear
Making my heart rejoice, dear
Great stuff. I don't understand why one company can use such a great ad agency, and then another company like Burger King has an ad agency that consistently comes up with crap.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Great stuff. I don't understand why one company can use such a great ad agency, and then another company like Burger King has an ad agency that consistently comes up with crap.
You don't find this music and sentiment peaceful and lovely?!? :D
[MEDIA]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqyWS7W-K68[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_5qoy4oaQ[/MEDIA]

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
In December of 2000 a Church in the Daytona Beach, Florida area had one of the FUNNIEST Christmas Commercials I have ever seen. It had a a "Misadventures of Santa" theme and started off with Santa getting chased out of one house by a Vicious Dog. At another house he narrowly escapes a Shotgun Blast. The third house he visits was the funniest, he gets to the Christmas Tree only to discover the Kids have "Camped" there awaiting his arrival! At the next house he looks pretty ragged, but he sees a Nativity Scene on Display and kneels to pray. They only ran the commercial for that year, I haven't seen it since!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks