What's new

For Metallica fans ... re: new record! (1 Viewer)

Trevor H

Second Unit
I understand that the songs were mostly written before Trujillo joined the band
Actually they were all written & recorded before he joined, Bob Rock played bass for the album, Rob only plays on the bonus DVD

Also no songs on St. Anger contain even one guitar solo, this IMO is a crime, all true metal must have some solos. Nu-Metal crap has no solo's because most of the guitar players have little to no talent and couldn't play scales if their lives depended on it, but we all know Kirk can play killer solos so why aren't they on the new album? because true metal isn't popular anymore and nu-metal is.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Trevor, if it's indeed true they have no solos I'll be very disappointed. Kirk is one of the best guitarists in the world, and his solos are amazing IMO. To not include them would be very weird.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ack, this is potentially bad news. But I'll wait until the final product and judge. Man that's too bad about Bob Rock playing the bass, not that he sounds bad, I don't know, but I was hoping to hear Trujillo...

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I have to admit that they sounded tight as hell on Icon.
They sounded much better than they sounded in years, but Lars cannot seem to keep a beat anymore and looks like he is going to fall of his stool if he has to play fast.

The new track did not do much for me, it is better than anything on Load and Reload, but still left me "blah".

I have come to the following conclusion as I was talking to a friend today. Metallica is in the same boat right now as many other huge superstar bands.

AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Kiss, etc. They all had their amazing period and nobody really expects anything from them at this time that will top their prime. If I go into the new Metallica record keeping this in mind, I might enjoy it.
no matter what, it has been downhill since AJFA ... we can only expect mediocrity at this point ...sad to say.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Every time I hear Blackened, it brings the memory of sitting in my room reading comic books. Nothing they have ever put out since then (AJFA) has done anything like that, where everything before then, moved me in some way.

AFA the guitar solos go, while they are a huge part of their best songs (master of puppets, etc.) some of my most favorite songs are the instrumentals.. (anasthesia, the call of ktulu, orion, and to live is to die). I know there is no place for this type on this new album, with a balls to the wall attitude, but damn it if those songs didn't speak more to me than any songs with lyrics. Good F*&%ing Shit!

AFA the Icons show goes. I don't think any of those bastards playing tribute were true fans except for maybe Limp Bizkit. They made that song theirs for the moment, showed that they could put some effort into their homage, instead of painstakingly trying to regurgitate a copy of a masterpiece. I mean.. Avril Lavigne???? Hell, at least she played a song I don't like anyways :)

I don't like Limp bizkit, or don't like anything they did after 3 dollar bill, but they did kick ass on their rendition of Sanitarium. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

StevenW

Second Unit
I don't like Limp bizkit, or don't like anything they did after 3 dollar bill, but they did kick ass on their rendition of Sanitarium. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.
I can. I think they sucked. The fact that they have to tell the audience to stand up and get amped is pathetic. Their music should be able to do that by itself.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't like Avril or Limp Bizkit, but I thought their performances were good. Not anywhere close the originals of course (not even for "Fuel", which I don't care for much even when played by Metallica), but good.

I wish they would have found some better and more interesting artists to perform.
At the very least, Apocalyptica should have been a given. The ultimate would have been to get Die Krupps to re-unite for one evening and play their Metallica stuff. :)

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Alright, alright, My comment about LB's performance being liked by everyone was over the top impossible. I'll admit that.

StevenW, I don't think venues like an aired MTV show are going to show what an audience response really is. I don't think I have ever seen an MTV production where the fans really get into it like at a show. I saw LB play live before their hype, along with Clutch and Biohazard, and they did get the fans up. I didn't even know their music then and was going along with it. I know they suck now, and have for awhile. My opinion of their tribute stands, no matter what any LB, hater may think.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
There's a thirty-second sample of "Frantic" up on Metallica's website. It's definitely different from anything of their's I've ever heard. I really dislike the way the drums sound though, hope that's not for the whole album.:frowning:

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
The clip on the website is low quality so it doesn't sound that great. I definitely like the new song...at least the parts I've heard so far. Only a month more to wait for the new album.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I finally watched the MTV Icon show this weekend. Overall I was very disappointed in it. Lisa Marie Presley? Avril Lavigne? Snoop Dogg? WTF??? At least get some rockers involved! I had to forward my TIVO during Avril's 'performance'. It was so bad. I can't believe some people here thought that it was good. I enjoyed the performances by SUM 41, Korn and Limp Bizkit. You could tell that they were real fans of Metallica. It was interesting to hear another band play the songs and watch the reactions of the members of Metallica. They really needed to give Metallica some more time to play. Pretty pathetic that they just cut them off like that.

I'm looking forward to the new CD and will definitely buy it as soon as it comes out.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Tim, I hated the Sum41 and Korn performances. The guys sounded like they really struggled to play, and it sounded so "untight". At least Avril's band were playing a simpler song. I thought she did a good job.

The two snippets linked to above give me some hope. I don't like how James' vocals sound there, but I do like the drum sound.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I missed the Icon show, but I don't really care after reading some of the responses.

One of the local radio stations plays the Korn version of "One". I was disgusted. They were either out of tun during the refrain, or really, really flat. The vocalist was trying way too hard as well.

You all know my views, so this should come as no surprise. :angry:

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Well, I wasn't expecting to hear an exact replica of the way Metallica plays the songs. You can't expect these other bands to be "tight" playing songs that they don't normally play. I like Korn so maybe I'm a little biased but "One" is one of my favorite Metallica songs and I thought they did a decent job on it. I might think differently if I heard it on the radio though. In Avril's case, I just thought her voice was terrible. That's what ruined the song.

I won't be standing in line to buy the Metallica "tribute" CD though. :D

Trevor H

Second Unit
Korn are pathetic, notice how they ended the song just before the guitar solo? that's because their "guitar player" couldn't play one if he wanted to.

Although I am not a fan of theirs I have to admit that the one guy from Sum 41 can shred, I thought they did the best out of all the tributes.

Maybe next year we can be treated to 'OZZY ICON' with performances by: Eminem, Blink 182, Crazy Town, & Justin Timberlake

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks