What's new

For Adam West Batman show to come out?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

To this I would have to say: whatever. Someone really needs to get down off their high horse about that. They are two entirely different animals. I think that someone is underestimating the intelligence of the buying public. Just because I might purchase this show on DVD doesn't mean that I am 'turned off' the more serious movies. That has to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

troy evans

Screenwriter
As far as just forking over money, that depends entirely on how much money we're talking about. Thousands? Millions? Hundred Millions? Studios can't just pay out x-amount of dollars on the claim that it'll make all that back and much more. As far as DC vs.Fox, the image of Batman has changed over the years or more accurately has returned to it's roots in some respects. Catwoman was a prostitute and heroien addict way back at her beginnings and that story has been re-imagined since. Batman used to carry a gun, which is a far cry from the hero we know today. Maybe if they market it like Power Rangers or the animated stuff and gear it towards kids that may make DC reconsider it's stance about the silly 1966 series. It wouldn't matter how we get it as long as we get it. As silly as the animated series was that Adam West and Burt Ward did the voices for, it still has been released on dvd. It's just a matter of time.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
maybe Adam West is doing commentary tracks for all those Cinemax After Dark epics where he played the clueless dofus that stayed fully clothed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe that is the issue too. However, I don't understand why DC feels that way. I can understand wanting to protect the image of the Batman character but anyone that's going to spend $40 or $50 on the Adam West Batman series already knows what they're getting and they can easily differentiate between the 'two' Batmans.

Is there really anyone in the world that would watch the TV series and think that The Dark Knight is going to be like that?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Sadly,Yes. Just like when people who follow the comic books or novels that films are based on get upset with the differences. People should be able to disconnect better, but, all too often they don't. DC stands to make a ton of money with the new Batman films and I'm sure they don't want anything screwing that up. Even, if we don't see how it could the decissions out of our hands. Again, sadly.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I don't buy the whole DC excuse that they don't want people getting their Batmen confused. They let Sony put out the movie serials, and the Super Friends and various other animated versions have been released, all of which are somewhat different to varying degrees from the current movie incarnation. Not to mention the Burton/Schumacher versions differ from the current movie version. I think they know people can tell the difference, and are instead holding out for a sizable licensing fee.

Bottom line: Neither Fox nor DC makes any money with the show sitting in a vault, with syndication revenue prospects continuing to diminish as the years go by. The DVD's would be a very lucrative revenue stream for both of them, so they need to agree on DC's fee and be done with it and start cranking them out!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I don't buy the excuse either. The movie "Batman and Robin" proves that they don't care about the image of Batman. That movie was awful, it was extremely campy and very unoriginal. I almost walked out of the movie theater while watching it. If DC can support a campy Batman movie like that, then they can support the Adam West version as well.

troy evans

Screenwriter
You make a very good point. Consider this, the other releases are already out and are making the parties involved money. It didn't involve a lawsuit either. That's one key difference here. I believe the 60's show will be available between TDK and whatever they call the third film. So in about two years time after the next film is my prediction. Right now the 60's series is costing them money if they have to pay out a large settlement. Not to mention pressing discs, packaging and other distribution fees. All of which has to be straightened out before the release of the series. So the're dealing with a little more than just putting it out in this case.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I find that hard to believe....they've released a half dozen of the horrendously cheesy Super Friends box sets with Adam West's voice.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron

That stinks, I wonder if this is the same type of thinking that's keeping the 70's Spider-man series off the DVD shelves

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I agree. It's all about money and has nothing to do with image. DC wants money and lots of it. It's insane to think that this is all because some hack lawyer at Fox forgot to cross his T's and dot his I's over 40 years ago. That's why the 1966 Batman movie can come out because it had a different contract.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I do not believe for one second that this is about the character's image. Warner has no problem (nor should they) releasing the 1977 Batman animated show (with West & Ward doing the voices), which has to be the lamest version of the character ever produced. If image was a concern, this one would have been buried.

The only thing that separates the '66 show from the rest of the pack is that another company (Fox) is involved. This is about property rights and money.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Dear Fox and/or DC Comics -

See this? *waves fist full of money* This is 100 dollars that I will now - this VERY instant - go give to a pirate for a bootleg set of Batman. See this? This is a middle finger that I am waving in your direction for being such idots.

I'm tired of your bullshit little games of greed, so I'm outta here. Go ahead and release Batman in 20 years time. I'll already have a copy, so I wont care what the hell you do.

Love,
Tony

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Take a step back.

Listen, I understand your frustration. I have been screaming about
BATMAN for years. Fox knows we want it, but is unable to move on
it at this time.

These messages you are posting are rather obnoxious. Do you
actually think cursing and putting up your middle fingers are going
to help this situation?

....and don't you know that we don't encourage bootlegging on this
forum?

Please do me a favor and calm the rhetoric down a few notches.
There are a few of us that include Gord Lacey and Dave Lambert
who are going to continue to push the studios to continue groundwork
on getting this title released.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I would be happy to pay a surcharge of some sort (buried in the price of course) just so anyone who wants to milk Batman can have their milk. I'd love to see the series out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks