1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

FM transmitters and MP3

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by BridgetJZ, Jul 7, 2005.

1. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Well-Known Member

So i bought a Belkin FM transmitter so that i could play my MP3 player in the car. It works well when i'm outside of a major city, but when i'm in a highly populated area, i can't seem to find a station fuzzy enough to let me use it.

Is this a problem with the transmitter itself or should i just look into other technologies??

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Well-Known Member

An FM Transmitter is at best, a last resort IMHO. I tried one of these and now keep it just in case I go to a friends house want to play it through his receiver. The transmitter also is only as good as the actual radio you are playing it through. The transmitter plays far better in my wife's 2003 Lexus than in my 2002 Mustang. However, I use a cassette adapter in my car and the sound is very, very good. In my next car, a 2005 Mustang, I plan on getting an iPod ready head unit. Too bad the cassette deck is being phased out these days because my iPod mini sounds really very good through it. The new iCruz units being sold these days are intriging, but the 200+ buck price tag kind of puts me off of it since the cassette adapter is working fine for now.

3. Jennifer B

Jennifer B Member

It seems the Dension iceLink I'm asking about in the other thread does an even better job. It also allows you to view track info in your radio display, for example. So instead of "Track 01 Disc 04" you'd see the name of the song and artist - without an extra external display as the iCruze has. And the Dension is also cheaper.

It seems great, I just don't know anyone who tried it. Maybe I just give it a shot anyway.

To the orig poster: That's not a problem with the transmitter, that's just the way it is. That's why a government body regulates the air frequencies for "real" radio, because they get too crowded. Solutions like the Dension or the iCruze are the way to go.