What's new

Floorstanding as rear surrounds?? (1 Viewer)

David Ugan

Auditioning
Hi all. First, just wanted to say the new Pioneer vsx1014 is awesome - got it saturday. Now, anyone use floorstanders as their rears? I only have a 5.1 setup for now, but even when I go to 7.1, I would just add two surround speakers. With the advent of Dolby Digital and the channels being discreet, why not use floorstanders as the rears?? Here's what I'm running:

Klipsch kg4.2 up front
Klipsch KV3 center
JBL Subwoofer

Vanns has Klipsch SF-1 on sale for like $300 a pair. I would put those or the SF-2 as the rears. Thanks in advance!!

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
With good bass management and a good sub, I personally don't think floorstanding speakers for the surrounds is a must for movies. If you're into multi-channel music, they would be a good thing to have. That's just my 2 cents. If I had everything else in my system that I wanted and still had cash to spend, I'd probably do it if space wasn't a constraint. To me, it's just one of those things that wouldn't hurt, but I think the money could be spent better elsewhere in my system.

David Ugan

Auditioning
Well, I can definitely see that as floorstanders are more expensive. However, if you have to buy stands (100-150) and then a good pair of surrounds (150-300), why not get floorstanding? Especially if you can find them on sale such as the one Vanns is running. Basically, if the pricing is similar, why not get the floorstanding? The only thing I can think is maybe they're not high enough, i.e. not above ear level...

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
I would be afraid that you would have to much bass. Also to me at least when were talking high end their is a real price diff for a floor stander vs a bookshelf so thats where it would become more of a matter. But why not go for it.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
There's definately no such thing as too much bass, especially in a properly calibrated system. If you can find quality floor standers at a good price and space is available, I say go for it if that's what you want. As I said earlier, it certainly won't hurt.

David Ugan

Auditioning
thanks guys! i think i will definitely consider the klipsch sf-1s or sf-2s since they're such good prices at vanns....awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks