What's new

Flipper on DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Jim-M said:
Are there any episodes in season 1 that have an Everglades air boat in them? Looks like in season 2 there is an episode where the boys buy one, but we haven't seen them halfway through season 1. I always thought those boats looked cool with the flat base and the big fan in the back.
Jim, your post revived some old dormant memories of another Folrida based show from the early 1960s titled "Everglades" which had that air boat. I can't recall much about the show other than the boat, though I believe it may have been a Ziv production. Unfortunately, I doubt that this one will ever see the light of day on DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Jim-M said:
Are there any episodes in season 1 that have an Everglades air boat in them? Looks like in season 2 there is an episode where the boys buy one, but we haven't seen them halfway through season 1. I always thought those boats looked cool with the flat base and the big fan in the back.
That's one of the ones I had taped from Nick. Great episode. I felt they got a great deal on that boat! Of course, in 1960s dollars they were probably jipped. Heh!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
So far there has been no information about it. With classic releases that have mediocre, the studios take their time in releasing them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mark Talmadge said:
So far there has been no information about it. With classic releases that have mediocre, the studios take their time in releasing them.
MGM went out of their way to grab this from a Canadian company for release. I'll just be grateful if they follow thru. I've been watching S1 in extreme moderation. Luckily I still have plenty left.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Same here, I've only watched a few episodes on the first disk of the first side. It'll take me another six months before I get the courage to watch the rest of it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mark Talmadge said:
Same here, I've only watched a few episodes on the first disk of the first side. It'll take me another six months before I get the courage to watch the rest of it.
Oh, did you not like the show? Or are you just spreading them out until the next set is announced?
I grew up with it. I also have a think about the ocean. The show has simply storylines that take me back to when I was a kid. I actually addore the show. Among my favs. Hopefully the dream of owning it will come true. They certainly did a hell of a job with the transfers. Looks amazing.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Anyone looking for season 1 can pick it it up for a very reasonable $19.99 at Target . . . . just saw it there this past weekend and it appears to be a permannent price reduction (at least as long as supplies last).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone heard any news for a second season release? I really want to get into this show.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
There's only 2 more seasons. I wish they'd get on the ball here. Or let that other company that was going to release it before do it.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Just so no one gets excited, this post has nothing to do with a season 2 announcement.

"Flipper" had not been on my priority list and I passed on it upon its original release. However, this past weekend I was in my local Wal-Mart and saw it for just $14.96. Couldn't pass it up and I'm glad that I bought it. As many others have commented, the transfers used for this release are absolutely gorgeous, certainly among the very best transfers to DVD that I've seen for a pre-1970s series. But equally important, the stories can be enjoyed by both kids and adults and Brian Kelly, as "Porter Ricks," really does a nice job as the father of two sons who have befriended the dolphin. Considering that this series was filmed in Florida, I was surprised to see Jessica Walter guest starring in the first episode, one of her earliest on television appearances, as well as Diana Van der Vlis, a mainstay guest star of 60s television in another episode. This is a very nicely done series that looks incredible on DVD.

I'm guessing that "Flipper" got lost in the shuffle with all of the numerous TV-on-DVD releases in 2007, and who knows whether or not we'll see any other seasons. But with such a low selling price for the set, it's an easy recommendation for anyone, like me, who has even dim memories of this series.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
From what I'm hearing, Fox, which is now the distributor for the MGM shows, isn't going to bother with any of them themselves. Which isn't really a surprise since they don't even bother doing anything with their own shows anymore. They are, however, open to farming out the MGM shows. At what cost, I don't know, and with the market diminishing it becomes hard for these things to be financially viable for smaller companies.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep, this thread bump had me excited. Oh well....at least Wallys is selling the thing at some price. It's worth $15 by far. They did a great job...but like many it's unfinished. :frowning:
Maybe they will at least allow us to buy these over the net in single episode form so we complete our collections. I'm patiently waiting but if they don't want to sell me this complete show I'll have to finish my collection "some other way". And that way sucks.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Six months on and still no news about Flipper seasons 2 and 3. Season 1 has been issued in region 2 as well as region 1 but only that first season. Does anyone know how well it did? I was hoping that if it was successful then more Ivan Tors series would make it onto DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^
Yeah. :frowning: I've learned to be skeptical whenever this thread is bumped.
I have about 7 episodes left. I'm going to watch them and just restart this Season 1 set from the beginning in some months after watching the 2 Flipper movies. Disappointing. But at least we do have something.
I would have loved to see this completed and more from Tors released for us. TV like this doesn't get made anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks