What's new

"Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels" (1939) coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ThadK

Second Unit
I don't think it'll be out in November, or even before the end of the year. Keep in mind Steve Stanchfield's operation is essentially an army of one doing clean-up on an entire feature, doing the work major studios won't. His product takes time. But he always delivers, and the presentation always knocks socks off.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I can wait ,but still its a bummer we can't get anyone studio to restore these classic films right because of things like PD I thought the Betty Boop
BRs could have been better ,but very glad I got them, Maybe Olive could do this

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Latest (Nov. 2) update from Steve Stanchfield about the Gulliver Blu-Ray, posted on the iad forum:
It's not out yet, though really close! A few more finishing touches to some sections and hope to finish in the coming weeks....

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It might, but I understand why it might not. Steve's been involved with uncovering better 35mm elements for the film and is still working on the final transfer (though almost done), and so far no word that that the product is ready for replication. This might have changed in the past week, but so far no word.

He's also working on 3 other animation products. It seems he's gunning for a pre-Christmas release but no guarantees quite yet. It's quite possible this might get delayed in a similar manner as the Puppetoons blu-ray. But like Puppetoons, it will be worth the wait.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
This is the latest from Steve, also from the iad forums (from the 24th)
It's a scramble here to get (all 4) sets done! Gulliver is almost there, Mid Centrury Modern 2 is assembled and waiting commentary, and Technicolor Dreams is well in progress though some of the films are not cleaned up yet. Doing my best to get them out the door and cover all the replication costs! So far so good... exhausted from the effort but smiling as they're getting there. Gulliver will go to replication first, and let's hope I can get Technicolor done by the 8th... Modern 2 is the easy one in that the disc is all together except for the commentaries... the other title is form the Blue Mouse Studio and has been in progress four years or so. The master is done pending them checking it tomorrow...

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Looking forward to Gulliver and Mid Century Modern 2 - thanks for the update Ken.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Steve visited me a week ago and showed me what he's got on Technicolor Dreams / B&W Nightmares. It looks amazing. Films I didn't know existed!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
For those of us who didn't pre-order, will we be able to purchase through Amazon?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
For those of us who didn't pre-order, will we be able to purchase through Amazon? I note the above post has not been replied to. I am in the same boat in that I did not pre-order. I was going to but circumstances with my role as the only carer for my elderly Mother with Parkinson's Disease & other major medical problems meant I overlooked it. I wrote a few days ago to Thunderbeam asking for a way to pay him and get on the list and my intention to buy the next one but so far there has been no response.

It is a favorite film of mine and I do like the score. It may well have been the first animated feature I saw on TV here in Australia. I remember the Summer/Christmas we, as a family, saw Lady & the Tramp, and, at another venue, Rock Around the Clock when they were first released in Melbourne. The TV Gulliver would have been a little later.

In those days we first had TV for the Nov 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games and TV started in earnest the following year with two commercial stations and a government network with another commercial station added around 1960.

GTV9 Melbourne bought the MCA package of Paramount pre-1948 feaures all with the familiar MCA logo/fanfare and Gulliver was in this package then. Because it was family entertainment it was shown at a 7.30pm Sunday slot instead of the usual 8.30pm movie time. I remember the night well because an old lady, who was a neighbor of my Mother when she was growing up in an inner suburb, had come to our suburb to see Mom's mother who lived in a couple of streets from us. They were out so she found us and stayed for a meal and watched the broadcast with us. I don't recall the film on TV since but it may well have been.

I don't recall seeing Mr Bugs/Hoppity screened but I got to see this when one was able to buy 16mm prints that were floating around in the 1970s. I would buy a Blu Ray of this if it happened.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
He always gives his stuff an Amazon listing, though it's always sold on Thunderbean's Amazon Marketplace. They're not really wide retail and usually the only place to buy them is Amazon or direct from Steve through his Paypal account, though they occasionally crop up elsewhere.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
At this time it's still listed on Amazon, but is currently stated as unavailable.
It goes on and gives a good explanation as to why and then further states that they don't know if this will be coming back on sale or not.

I like the fact that it is trying to disassociate itself from the rotten reviews of the dreaded Koch disaster which are carelessly displayed under this new Thunderbean version's listing.

My guess is that it will be back listed on Amazon just as soon as it's finished, which sounds reasonably imminent.
And as Joe said, with availability through Thunderbean's Amazon market place.

Just hang in there all Fleischer and GT fans.

Doug.

ThadK

Second Unit
Steve's releases will always be available to everyone, regardless of whether you pre-ordered or not.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Sorry to be so quiet! It's been a nearly around the clock process to finish these last few titles- especially preparing the master materials on Gulliver for the BluRay- really an exhaustive learning process and quite a bit of back and forth to make it all work. It's off to mastering and has been there for some weeks. I'm hoping the final replicated stock comes int he next week or two at the most. The first version of the master didn't meet the proper specs for the license (you have to have a license to make a BluRay!) so it set the product into December on this end. The final set is getting assembled in Indiana where the DVD version was made, though the BluRay pressing is being done in California.I'll be happier than anyone when it's out the door. These days have been busy trying to finish the digital cleanup on Technicolor Dreams as well as the final booklet for Gulliver- still in progress. That is getting printed locally, so all these pieces need to come together really soon. I thank everyone for their patience on this one; it's been easily the hardest and most time-consuming process ever, especially on the digital cleanup side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks