What's new

Flat screen TV vs. Monitor (1 Viewer)

Kotz

Auditioning
Real Name
M
I'm looking for a 46" to 55" TV for my home theater system, however, as the sound will be coming thru my system I don't think I need to have an amplifier and speakers in the TV. Are flat screen monitirs available for this type of application? I've seen high end units for commercial use but haven't seen any for home theaters on a budget. Why aren't they available at the box stores?

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cause "Joe Consumer" is a moron.Hitachi was the last company that tried monitors(their Ultra line from 4-6 years ago).It failed...leading to their demise and to lesser extent...Pioneer/Elite folding up shop(basically the Ultra line was Hitachi's attempt to feast from the same wallets as Kuro consumers...all it did was lead both companies to decide they couldn't make any money).

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Kotz said:
I'm looking for a 46" to 55" TV for my home theater system, however, as the sound will be coming thru my system I don't think I need to have an amplifier and speakers in the TV. Are flat screen monitirs available for this type of application? I've seen high end units for commercial use but haven't seen any for home theaters on a budget. Why aren't they available at the box stores?

Thanks
Large format professional monitors are built better and, therefore, cost more. They have circuitry and features tailored for video professional applications that demand more durability, stability, and versatility. Such applications typically include the ability to run continuously for longer periods of time without stress or failure. Examples include: digital signage, broadcast monitoring, program post production, medical, industrial, educational, military, security, etc. An extreme example would be Dolby's Reference Monitor- a 42" LCD/LED which is 13" thick, weighs 150 lb, and costs $30,000.00.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the Panasonic 300 series plasma is very nice and doesnt have speakers (but very pricey)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Theyre not available at the box stores because all the tvs have a volume control that can be turned down all the way and left there for the life of the display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks