1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat screen TV vs. Monitor

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kotz, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Kotz

Kotz Auditioning

M
    I'm looking for a 46" to 55" TV for my home theater system, however, as the sound will be coming thru my system I don't think I need to have an amplifier and speakers in the TV. Are flat screen monitirs available for this type of application? I've seen high end units for commercial use but haven't seen any for home theaters on a budget. Why aren't they available at the box stores?

Thanks

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Cause "Joe Consumer" is a moron.Hitachi was the last company that tried monitors(their Ultra line from 4-6 years ago).It failed...leading to their demise and to lesser extent...Pioneer/Elite folding up shop(basically the Ultra line was Hitachi's attempt to feast from the same wallets as Kuro consumers...all it did was lead both companies to decide they couldn't make any money).

3. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Large format professional monitors are built better and, therefore, cost more. They have circuitry and features tailored for video professional applications that demand more durability, stability, and versatility. Such applications typically include the ability to run continuously for longer periods of time without stress or failure. Examples include: digital signage, broadcast monitoring, program post production, medical, industrial, educational, military, security, etc. An extreme example would be Dolby's Reference Monitor- a 42" LCD/LED which is 13" thick, weighs 150 lb, and costs $30,000.00.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the Panasonic 300 series plasma is very nice and doesnt have speakers (but very pricey)

5. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Theyre not available at the box stores because all the tvs have a volume control that can be turned down all the way and left there for the life of the display.