What's new

Flags of our Fathers "sharper" on Blu (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... BB was/is soft/dark/murky, as the director intended. None the less a good amount of detail. Hence, "The Perfect Vision" #2 rated HD DVD "To Die For".
What part of "BB" was "noisy"?
Would that be the very same "Genesis" camera that was used in getting the great reviews for PQ on "Apocolipto"?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

BB wasn't shot with the Genesis, Superman Returns was. Batman Begins was shot on 35mm film.

Also Apocolipto seems to be a mix of film and digital shot on the Genesis. I'm not sure why.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'll trust his opinion over some anonymous person on a message board any day.

And personally I've watched both the HD version and the SD version and there is no comparison. It's night and day.

Doug

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Bracke gave a good review to the HD DVD of "Traffic" and someone on AVS showed that a 720p cable capture downsampled to 480p looked better. Most now think that the disc was a upconvert.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...perman+returns

Well for those who doubt me read this thread. It was quite controversial here in our own Forum.

It was an earlier HiDef release. How many DVDs you bought in 1997/98 still look reference? Probably not too many.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
"Superman Returns" looked mighty fine on my large SXRD.

As far as it not looking better than the SD-DVD.....

Peter probably meant it as a joke (I think).

I have also seen the BD version MANY times, and both HD releases look pretty identical to my eyes.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

That review is one man's opinion with which I disagree. Also many of the people responding to that review seemed to disagree, at which point it degenerated into another argument about lossless audio which seems to happen to every thread here no matter what the subject is.

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

While he did give the film a 4 out of 5 rating on the PQ, it had more to do with the HD capturing the original films look and feel, and Traffic was a very blown out grainy film to start with.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Amen to that. Every discusion seems to degrade into the lossless, bitrate, disk capacity arguments that never change and as of yet are unproven on either side of the fight.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Point is Bracke gave a good review to something ("Traffic") that looks better on HD cable.

Those "pro" reviewers often have equipment worse than ours (like watching on a 720p display instead of a 1080p display) so I don't always trust them, much like movie reviews.

Did "SR" get the general consensus it looks great like "Pirates" or "Matrix"? No.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Different movies. SR looked about as good as the theatrical release, which IMHO would pasty and unrealistic. Why would you expect it to look better?

Same problem in trying to compare Matrix to POC, one dark and heavily tinted with subdued colors, the other bright and vivid, almost cartoon like. The only real question is, did the HD or BD capture the movie the way it was meant to be viewed. In the case of all four, 'Traffic', 'POC', 'Matrix' and 'SR' I think the answer is a resounding Yes.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The point is MAYBE it looks better on HD cable. You are basing your information on something someone on a message board posted. You have no idea under what conditions those captures were made, or even if the person is telling the truth about the source material.

Doug

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That would infer THX HAD a sense of humor! ;-)
When bashing HD DVD I've never seen it, nor when praising BD to the high heavens. Believe me, he REALLY believes the un-believable stuff he posts.

He actually posted you can't compare receivers from Onkyo & Sony!!! :-0
Because, the two companies are not involved completely in the same endeavors. Hence, he would probably not think it was allowed to compare Pioneer & Sony BD players, because Pioneer makes plasma & Sony makes LCD displays! ;-)

Peter has gotten this thread off-track again, starting w/the comment that HD DVD can't do lossless audio on a thread that's about how the HD DVD audio on a title is better than the BD version. And then, on & on & on...

My nonsense:
I'm still against the war, always have been, always will be. Just that it does get us high strung overly critical minute analyzing HT'ers, the chance to compare HD Disc releases. Which was a very good thing for exposing BD at first & keeping HD DVD on track as well.
However, its a mess when one HD Disc has better audio & one has better video, or features for that matter. And I'm not even saying that's happening here, w/this title.
Back on track:
I don't want HD Disc to have the same problem of SD DVD, like on a title such as "The Professional". Where one release has the best audio, another the best version (cut and/or video), and yet another w/the best features.
Was hoping HD Disc would be better than that!
I don't need/want two copies of "FoOF" on HD Disc, like I've had four SD DVD versions of "T2"!
And in closing:
Super glad people as paying attention though, to the difference between the two releases. Just, I don't think this discussion should allow for posters generally biased opinions on the two waring formats to interfere w/that discussion.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think that I have no idea where those screen shots came from or how they were obtained. Frankly they all look like someone too a picture of a screen with a digital camera which means they are useless! If this is the source of your information, then your conclusions are laughable at best.

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This only proves that someone poster a picture and you believed it, nothing more, as you can not state how these shots were created. FUD of the worst type. BTW, as the image is supposed to be a news conference (no HD broadcast equipment used then) it would look standard res.

I guess it also proves the poster is pretty good with paint shop.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
posted on this thread. How does that explain to anybody why the HD DVD sounds better than the BD?

If your speaking of the "sense of humor" thing, I gave that a "wink".

If you can explain to me how your bashing of HD DVD in general terms has helped the understanding of the specific subject matter of this thread, that would be helpful indeed. Thanks.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It's a screen shot from Traffic. But it looks to me like it was a shot of a TV screen with a digital camera. Not only that it looks like who ever took the pictures doesn't know how to use said digital camera as the color balance is not set to match the color temp of the screen. Hence Mr. Douglas looks like Violet in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks