1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix Rotel RSX-1057 or buy new

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brutiger, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Brutiger

Brutiger New Member

I have an RSX-1057 that as a bad digital board or power supply. I'm being told it will cost around $350-$400 to get it fixed. Should I get it fixed or just buy a new receiver. I would probably not buy Rotel again, because this one is only 5.5 years old, 6 months out of warranty. Rotel is not willing to do anything but fix out of warranty.

2. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    5 1/2 years is an eternity in the world of HT receivers. The 1057 is a 5.1 receiver with only 2 hdmi inputs (version 1.1). No room correction, no TrueHD or Master Audio decoding. But you would have to spend a lot to get the same quality of a Rotel. Maybe Cambridge Audio or NAD? Marantz (6006)? H/K (7550HD)? Or maybe a good used receiver. I recently picked up a 2 year old (but good as new) Pioneer Elite SC-27 for $600 shipped off Audiogon and it's fantastic! Does everything I need it to do. I'd download a couple of receivers owners manuals to see if a new receiver would be worth the cost. But my guess is it would be. They've come a long way in 5 1/2 years. Not so much in souns quality (room correction not withstanding) but in features, decoding and compatability.