What's new

Fix my 2yr old DLP or buy a new LCD? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2yr old Mitsu WD-57732 1080p DLP TV. For the past 6 months i have had a washed out picture with halos around anything bright.

For instance white text on a black background has white halos or glow around the text.

A local service place wants 150 to come out and look at it then if they can fix it they will use the 150 towards the cost.

I just dont want to spend over 500 on this TV when you can get new LCDs at best buy now for 1500-2000 for a decent one.

I would hate to spend a ton fixing this TV then having another problem soon down the road.

What do you guys suggest.

I also hate buying a new Tv when i have a semi decent one here.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Is the mirror dirty? sounds like an optics issue.

I would fix it.. But that's just me and I'm a DLP owner, so I wouldn't run out and buy any LCD to replace my DLP! I bought my DLP because that was what worked best for me.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

I took the screen off and cleaned the mirror it did nothing.

I talked to some guy over email a while back and he told me it sounded like the light engine.

If thats the case those are a lot of money.

the color and resolution is great its just so washed out with halos around bright colors which is drving me nuts.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Well i ordered a 52in samsung 120hz LCD today.

I just dont want to sink money in this DLP and get dollared to death if it keeps breaking. I read a lot of bad reviews on it.

That being said what do you think i can sell it for.

Its a 57in 1080p Mitsubishi. WD-57332 model.

Picture is still decent but like i said halos on bright things.

Im thinking of posting in craigslist for 400?

YOu guys think that is fair?

Hell maybe its something easy to fix and ill lose and they will gain.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
That's not the route I would have went, but as long as you are happy.

The nice thing about DLP if the color wheel or bulb goes out, they are replaceable. When a transistor goes out or the back light goes out in an LCD, you throw it away.

I have no idea what the set is worth without knowing what the cost of a replacement light engine runs. I would think $400 would be a bargain even if a light engine was $400 or so.. It sounds like an "optics" issue and I bet it could be something as simple as a lens out of place or maybe the DMD needs changed.

I wish you the best of luck with the new set.

virp123

Auditioning
Real Name
vir
It seems u r confuse...
what i think is ..Ur DLP is 2yr old and got some problem..u may solve the issue now..but what guarantee another problem will not arise?
dont your TV have Guarantee? If it has, then u should get the service free of cost..
Anyways, your option is also good..you can sell the TV for lesser price and can order a new one for you...

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys,

I had someone else tell me yesterday that it sounded like the light engine was bad. Thats the problem most keep saying i am having. The light engine on this model is 600-900 dollars then someone to install it and the 150 they want just to come over and look at it.

YOu can get a new mitsubishi 60in DLP for just a tad over a grand and have a full warranty.

I just dont want to spend close to a grand fixing something 2 years old that is out of warranty.

The reason i keep saying i may have another problems is from the research i pulled up on this TV. There is even a class action lawsuit going on from all the problems it has.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Todd, I just have to ask the seemingly obvious, yet unasked question. Have you checked the Mitsu's settings? Washed out and ringing sounds like someone fiddled with the brightness and/or contrast, along with the sharpness.

It's easy to say the "light engine" is broken. Could this person be a bit more specific? My interpretation of light engine is DMD, color wheel, lens, and lamp. You say the picture is mostly decent...sounds to me like the light engine is functioning fine, at least the lamp, DMD, and lens...and if the color wheel were FUBAR you'd know it either by sound or color problems. Your description to me points at either misadjusted settings or something broke in the processing chain.

-Brent

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

I could put the contrast and brightness all the way to nothing and still have that glow,

I messed with the settings so many times and nothing worked.

I just was scared risking good money into something bad.

Kind of like all these bailouts we see today, they sinking good money into bad managed companies that need to fail. The end result is they will fail anyway..

I was nervous that i would sink my money into it and either nothing would get fixed, or it would break soon down the road based on bad reviews i found.

thanks for all yoru replies btw.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Based on no experience whatsoever with this product, I can think of some relatively simple things that could cause this.

Light leakage: light from the lamp spilling out through a displaced shield or cover.

Bad light tube: A small square tube between the lamp and DMD. These can literally fall apart. If it was a Samsung, it might be separately replaceable part but most manufacturers treat it as integral to the light engine.. A good technician might be able to glue it back together. (common failure with the InFocus 4805 front projector)

Light Engine: Many companies have unpublicised extended warranties on the light engines. You will have to deal with an authorized servicer and may have to request help from Customer Relations. I had a Mits light engine show up at my shop unexpectedly. (I used to do Mits warranty) It turned out to be a "Customer Accomodation" repair, (this is the general term for out-of-standard-warranty repair) that was misdirected from the East Coast, so I know that they can do this if they want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks