What's new

First Time DIY Sub Project .... One suggestion needed. (1 Viewer)

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Im not really hip to why using the adire FP3 ports is absolutely required. I mean, if he only flares one end (and compensates for the other cut end) there shouldnt be a noticeable difference in performance. Hell, in WinISD you can "compensate" for the difference by selecting flared/one end flared/non-flared ports. So, copy the SBB4 alignment in WinISD and then selecting the right length and "flared port" then change it to "non-flared" or "one end flared" and see the difference in performance, or alter the length to compensate.

Daffy Arthur King
With the brain of a duck

williamN

Agent
Joe, just wanted to say good luck with your build and keep the updates coming, I am in a similar position and am really interested to see how it works out for you. (I haven't ordered a tempest yet)

minhG

Stunt Coordinator
joe,

also wanted to mention, in the documentation from adire, i think they mention that you can use a straight pipe. i think you just have to add a lot more length to the pipe.

i'm using the FP3 because i'm lazy, but i see no problem with using a straight pipe if that's all you have. you can save money by just buying the flared ends and attaching them to your straight pipe too.

and you don't have to wait, you can start, cutting and prepping while you wait on the extra bits!

i haven't started on mine and i'm waffling between the 85L and 142.5L Shiva ported boxes...

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
You guys are great :emoji_thumbsup: . I indeed went for the stright pipe PVC. I haven't done the calculations yet because WinISD seems a bit complicated to me right now. I'll look more into it this evening. I purchased 4 ft of 3" PVC and that's what I'll be using. If I'm not happy then I can always modify the port hole diameter and add flares at a later date. Project should be fully completed by Tuesday (without the autobody paint job :)). I'll keep you all posted. Once again, thanks for all of the support!!! :D

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Hi Joe,

Your mileage may vary but I used 2 and later 3 3" straight PVC ports on my 150 L Tempest and they would chuff. I use 2 FP4s now on my 340L and obviously never have heard any port noise.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
well, i bought some PVC "flange" end caps from Home Depot for my 3" tubes. i didn't measure it yet, but my guess would be they create a 5" flare within a 2.5" length. this seems like a cheap alternative that might just work. I'll keep my fingers crossed and you guys posted :).

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Ok, i'm trying to figure out a port length for my DIY home depot flares thoguh WinISD. Is it me or is the Adire Tempest not in the WinISD driver database ?

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Ok, I'm having a hard time with WinISD and LSCad. I took some pics of the ports. I measured the flare and it goes from a 3" diameter to a 4.5" within a length of 3/4 inches. Keep in mind too, I'll be sawing off a good chunk of the PVC Flange (so in reality the flares will only add another 3/4" inches on each end of the PVC).

Can someone please do the calculations for me and tell me what size of ports I'll need for the 194 L SBB4 design (total heigh including the flares) ? I know it seems lame but I've never used a CAD program before and I'm quite intimidated by all of the variables.

Here are some pics of the materials:

and here's a pic of my HT just for good measure :)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Just the center speaker and the TV along is enuf to convince me that you are a fan of big sound :) I have a MidQ sealed Tempest, and it sounds awesome. Your vented 190L Tempest is going to knock you off your couch:D

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
LoL, yeah, I've never really put alot of $$$$ into the display part of my HT. I prefer big sound over big picture any day (even thought it would be awesome to have a big screen :)).

The Paradigm CC-370 really looks like a beast on my 27" toshiba. I love it :)

And I sure hope the Tempest blows me off the couch. I've never really ever heard a good sub in my HT before.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
hahaha, that's the same facial expression when I first see the Tempest:D I think your jaw will drop lower when you hear your Tempest perform:D

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
awesome to hear!! anyways, the enclosure is at my work half built because I don't have a garage where i live. Would I be safe hooking the Tempest up to my amp "as is" (without the enclusure) just to get a rough idea of how this baby can perform ? Or would it be a waste of time ???

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Better to wait to finish up the enclosure. Running a driver in free air doesn't tell you much of its potential.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Ok, project should be almost completed by tomorrow. I picked up some Polyfil from Walmart today. Adire recommends 64 ounces, however, none of the packages had ounce weightings.

This is similar to the stuff I picked up (I got the "traditional" batting instead of "extra loft":

Should I just line the walls with this stuff and hope it works fine ? Or should I make sure I put exactly 64 ounces in it and find a weigh scale ?

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
And this stuff comes in a roll. When stuffing a sub with polyfill do you just stuff it in there ? or do you make sure it all sticks to the walls so it won't get in the way of the driver (with adhesive spray).?

UPDATE: I'm making this out to be too complicated. I'm gonna return this small bag of poly fill batting and pick up 5 bags of 12 ounce PolyFil stuffing. I saw the bags at Walmart but didn't realize it was the stuff I needed. IMO one 12 ounce bag seemed like way too much but I guess not. I also thought I just had to line the walls but I literally have to stuff the damn thing :). Oh well, learn something new every day :).

minhG

Stunt Coordinator
joe,

I was cutting up my mdf this weekend for my 142.5L shiva, and i realized that it will be difficult to move this thing by myself once it's built. with a 192L tempest, i'd guess the completed sub will weigh 100+lbs?

it's going to be bigger then most of your HT :D

let us know how it works out.

about you ports, i dunno if those flared ends you got would work. if i was using a straight pipe, i'd use no ends at all, or maybe a small lip to help it seal against the opening. whatever you do try to make it accessible so you can change the lengths to tune it.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I know, this thing will easilly exceed 100+ pounds!!!. I'm gonna need some help packing it in the car (maybe I should borrow the rents van actually) and bringing it up my stairs and into my HT/Living Room. This thing will be twice the volume of my 27" TV!!!! I also have a bass plate and that alone will add another few pounds!!

About the flares, I'm actually quite confident it will work. I mean, it is a flare and should help with port noise. Allso keep in mind that I am altering the end caps quite a bit. I'm gonna go with the 5" PVC tube in the center like Adire recommends. It'll be real easy to take the ports out and add FP3's down the road. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

It's gonna be bigger than everything in my HT!!!!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks