What's new

First 'Rush In Rio' DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While it's a positive review, I have a hard time time giving credibility to a reviewer who considers Vapor Trails the "highlight of their entire career."

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Zane.

I have serious problems with especially the latter portion of the review's first paragraph, which sloppily (mis)characterizes the band's post-Moving Pictures history/work, but won't hijack the thread by getting into that.

I will be disappointed if the reviewer's report on the disc's specs. is accurate and it indeed turns out that the concert disc does not have a 2.0 PCM track. I don't doubt that the absence of an uncompressed audio track on the DVD-V is at least partly due to a desire to not negatively impact sales of the companion three-CD set. But, if that's the case, it only solidifies my wish that Atlantic, which is of course a Warner label, had released a DVD-Audio of this title.

-p

John Geelan

Screenwriter
btw....Rush In Rio will be available to be seen on the Big Screen at select Regal movie theaters on October 21st.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, Best Buy and Circuit City have RiR listed in their Sunday circulars.

What is sort of a surprise is that BB has both the CD and DVD for a full $5 MORE than CC. IIRC, CC has the DVD at 19.99, and the CD at 14.99. BB has the DVD at 24.99, and the CD at 19.99.

I thought that BB may have been a typo, but those are the prices at their web sites.

Since CC is not all that convenient for me to get to, I ordered the DVD via their web site. I look forward to this disc, as I did see them in Albuquerque on that tour.

BGL

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle

When I checked the weekly best buy ad online and looked at the live cd, it had a link to order both the dvd and the cd set together for $35.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. I missed that, but only checked the individual price for the DVD. On Sunday, the prices came up as I reported. Seemed odd to me.

BGL

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Well Brian, you are right. Best Buy is nuts for offering them for 5 dollars more a piece than CC. You shouldn't have to buy them together to get the best deal.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I will definitely be buying this today at CC. I was hoping for a review but I imagine that everyone is working like myself. I haven't been this excited about a concert DVD in some time. I wish it was going to be released as a multichannel hybrid SACD.

NP: Rusted Root

Shane D

Supporting Actor
Im listening to the cd now. I also got the dvd.

I gave the dvd a quick look while sitting here at my computer, and it sounds really good thru headphones, I can't wait til get home and hear the 5.1 mix, i'm expecting to be really immersive, because just through the headphones you can hear the crowd like crazy, and them singing along, yet you can hear geddy lee pretty clear too.

As far as video went, i did see some scan lines (most tv stuff shows the lines on my computers, i really notice it on animation), but it looks very sharp, I kept thinking of the Nine Inch Nails concert dvd while watching it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was going to pick up both at CC, but the guy there was a moron, and I couldn't find the CD, so I just went to BB and got them both.

I gotta say, that's a hell of a crowd in Rio. One of the loudest crowds I've heard on a live disc.

Jason

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Jason: Agreed!!

I went to CC at lunch and counldn't find either. The CC by me puts music DVD's underneath the CD's in the general alphabetical area. Terrible display job. And asking the sales help"less" didn't do much good either.

I went to Best Buy. Screw it, what's $5 bucks. It's RUSH ON DVD!!!!! IN 5.1!!!!!!

Can't wait to get home...

HankM

Second Unit
I thought this was gonna be 16:9 enhanced. It is letterboxed to 1.85:1 but looks good anyway. The 5.1 sound is great but I also like the 2.0 track but the 5.1 is like being there. Bass is excellant on this disc, especially the opening to Tom Sawyer. I haven't watched all of it yet. Does anyone know if Neil does a solo on this? :D

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I had to go to 3 different stores to get this on DVD and CD. It was sold out before noon in the first 2.

As mentioned above, there's excellent bass on this disc. I was really surprised when Tom Sawyer started and the bass hit. Very cool.

Okay, how do you access the easter eggs?? :frowning:

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I found the DVD at CC with some effort as well. It was marked $24.99 but at the register it was only 19.99. I can't wait to get home to see this.

The back of the DVD tells you how to access the easter eggs.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
The audio is incredible!!!

But am I missing something? Everywhere I read said this DVD would be 16:9 or widescreen anamorphic. The picture is definately not filling up my 16:9 tv. And when I click on the Disc Information in the DVD software it lists Aspect Ratio as 4:3.

What gives????

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
WOW. This DVD is AWESOME (at least 1:10 into it). Bummer it's not 16:9 like it should be....

Also, anyone get the feeling that the audio is a bit out of sync with the video at times? I also got 3 slight pauses: twice in Freewill at 57:04 and 1:00:06, and once right at the end of Driven at 1:24:37. Anyone else have any glitches? Should I exchange my DVDs?

Rush is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks