What's new

First Post: Can I get some advice (1 Viewer)

Shervin

Agent
Guys, here is my scenario.

I need to upgrade from my old Sony ES pro logic amp.

I am going to buy my new tuner from bestbuy because my friend's brother works there and he said he could get it for me. I narrowed my choices to these.

Sony STRDE995 7.1 ( i understand sony's are not that great)

Sony STRDE695 6.1

Yamaha 5660 6.1

I am also slightly considering the Pioneer VSX-D812

I have all Northridge Speakers, and a sony dvd player and cd player (not that it matters too much.)

The only reason I am even considering the higher end (low end) 7.1 sony is because it is 7.1 and has room for upgrading.

Is there any big difference in sound between say a 6.1 setup and a 7.1 setup. I have been out of the hifi game for a while and need some good advice. If there is not big difference I would rather same the cash on the 7th speaker for something else. Not to mention the cash on a 6.1 rather than a 7.1.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Depends on your setup. I don't use either because I don't have the room for it and don't have the 6/7th speaker. I think that it is more of a judgemental thing. Receivers change so much that who know what will be next but I think 6.1/7.1 will be here for a while so you may want to get something that has 7.1 because if you have the room to do it down the line then you are not having to upgrade the receiver. I am sure someone can jump in that use it in there setup.

Also look at this link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&postid=513082

Remember there are not that many movies that do 6.1/7.1.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There really is not any 7.1 software. And 6.1 is limited. You might like to check out this thread for more information.

For an entry level system, I’d save my money and wait for 7.1 to mature—if in fact it does.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I agree with ChadLB. As for 6.1 or 7.1, I don't think you'll notice too much of a difference between the two. I went from 5.1 to 7.1 and noticed a huge difference on certain movies. I imagine it would be similar going from 5.1 to 6.1.

Shervin

Agent
anyone else have some thoughts on these tuners. Do any of you all have the Yamaha or the 7.1 sony's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks