What's new

First New Post/First Unread Post (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Why did the 'first unread post' button go away? I liked that. The 'first new post' button is completely useless because it just goes to the first post, period, at least on my system (NT running IE 4.0).

EDIT: I see the 'first unread post' button is back again. The 'first new post' button on the thread page still seems useless though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got to agree with Mark. Sometimes the "First New Post" tags are there, sometimes they are not. Also, whenever I press "First New Post" I get sent to the very END of the thread and sometimes have to "back up" several posts to get to the last one I've read. No big deal. Its just not doing what's advertised.

This is off this particular topic, but I wish that after I've read a thread and push the "back" button to return to the list of thread headings that I would return to the place on the thread listing which contained the thread I just read. Instead, it seems as if I am arbitrarily thrown to either the top or bottom of the list of thread titles. I then have to find my way back to the heading for the thread I've just read to continue making my way through all the topics out there.

I am using Netscape Communicator 4.79 on Windows ME.

Thanks!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys the first new post is the first new post since you last logged on. So lets say you have read a post earlier and then you come back to the forum and want to read what has been added since. It goes to the "First New Post" not just the first post.

The back button issue is an issue with Netscape. I am using version 4.77 on XP and it works just fine.

Parker

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi Parker! I understand the intent of the "First New Post" link. It just doesn't work that way for me. When I click it, instead of going to the first new post since the last time I visited the thread, it takes me to the very end (bottom) of the thread--even though there may be a half dozen posts I have to scroll back through to read. That's all.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

Try going to the User Control panel, click on Edit Options, and turn off the Browse this board with cookies. You may not be resetting your cookie and it is taking you to the same old place or getting confused when you were last on.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

Nevermind. I looked at the forum again with my 4.77 version along with several other sites that use vBulletin and the first new post link takes you to the end of the table instead of stopping at the tag that it should. It works just fine in IE and Opera so it has to be yet another Netscape issue.

Oh, well.

Parker

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I beg to differ, Packy, but regardless of whether I've visited a thread or not, "First new post" just takes me to the beginning of the thread. "First unread post" works the way you say, but no such luck with the "First new post" button. Maybe that's an IE 4.0 issue; I can't upgrade so I'm stuck.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mark:

That must be it. I am not sure why it would work that way otherwise. I should have said with IE 5.5 and 6.0 and Opera 6.0 on Windows 98, ME and XP it works just fine.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks