What's new

First impressions on the Premier Acoustic PA-6F tower speakers (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Hello all. I know some of you have been anxious for me to give my impressions on what I thought on these speakers and the wait is over. I actually didn't have to wait long at all for my purchase to arrive. I ordered a set of towers from Eric on Monday morning and received them yesterday. I would have got them on Thursday however my city got hit with a major blizzard that day and UPS couldn't get them to me. That figures.
Anyway I got them late last night so didn't have a lot of chance to play with them too much.

I'll start out by saying, Eric has been a great guy to work with, very helpful and made my purchase a breeze. Great customer service, especially when ordering on line is huge for me and so far I have been very impressed in that area.

Packaging.

They came in the original Premier Acoustic packaging, no repackaging or anything like that. The boxes were perfect, other than them being a little dirty from shipping. They weren't smashed up or torn up.
The speakers were wrapped in plastic and there was styrofoam blocks in there to prevent the speakers from shifting around during shipping. Again, impressed with how they were packaged.

Appearance and build quality

I have had black speakers for over 10 years now. PSB Stratus Silver I's, piano black finish, PSB Image 6T's, black wood and my latest SVS SBS-01 black. I decided this time to go with the cherry finish and I can say that I am very glad that I did. They look very nice and adds a touch of warmth and class to my room. And the wood is real. What also add's a nice classy touch is the top of the cabinets are finished in a piano black lacquer finish. Very nice! This is a very good looking speaker. Each tower is pretty heavy too, they are built very solid. I gave both towers a thorough visual inspection, looking for any nicks,gouges, chips,scrapes, basically anything not pleasing to the eye. I found nothing,they were flawless.
The binding posts on the back are also solid. No spring loaded connections here. I have always gone with bare wire and I used some very thick and expensive monster cable speaker wire to hook them up, the wire went through the binding posts and I was able to secure them down without any problem.

Set up.

I moved my SVS SBS-01's to the rear for a complete 7.1 surround set up. I still have the center channel speaker from the SVS system in place and PSB image left and right surrounds. Talk about mixing and matching. However I feel the rears and surrounds are not as big of a deal to match as the front soundstage. All in due time will the entire setup be Premier acoustics.
I recalibrated my system and set my Marantz SR-9200 receiver to THX specs. This receiver is one sweet receiver and really the pride of my entire system, it sends out 140 wpc x 7. So all speakers are set to small and everything below 80hz goes to my AAD C-10 sub.

Listening test.

Okay, okay, so now to the part everyone wants to know about. How do these things sound? Simply put, amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I always start out my listening test with my receiver set to two channel, source direct mode. In this mode I get a pure audio signal with my subwoofer shut off. This gives me a good indication on how pure a speaker can sound by itself with no help. That was what I had my receiver set to most of the night. I played a couple of my favorite cd's and ones that I am very familiar with. Ben Harper, Both Sides of the Gun and Chris Botti Night Sessions.
Both cd's are very musical and give you a wide variety of instruments.
These towers gave me a huge soundstage with a great deal of imaging. I sit about 11ft back from the speakers. Ben Harpers vocals were right in the middle of the room, even when not sitting in the sweet spot, the imaging was still there. Chris Botti's trumpet was clean clear and crisp. The tweeter in this tower was smooth and detailed. It was not bright or fatiguing in anyway. Also the towers gave me a tight punchy mid bass that I have been looking for.
Mid bass was produced with some kick and sounded defined. Not boomy or distorted. I really didn't get a lot of time with them nor did I really push them hard at all. I think the highest I had my receiver turned up to was about -25. I want to give them a chance to break in before I really give them a workout and a full review. But from what I have heard and seen so far, these things are winners. And hopefully some of you will hear them for yourself. At the price these are going at, there isn't anything even close that can touch them. So far I am one very happy customer and look forward to adding the rest of the system to my home. I have listened to a variety of different speakers as of late and these so far have impressed me the most, especially when it comes down to price. I have listened to speakers costing four times this amount and the Premier Acoustics sounded just as good as those and in most cases a lot better.

I will give a more in depth review in a couple of weeks.

For reference this is what I have auditioned as of late,
Klipsch RF-82's
Era Design 4
SVS-SBS-01
Mirage Omnisat V2
Monitor Audio Silver RS 6
System Audio, forgive me, forget the model. $2000 set of towers though.
Infinity Beta 50's

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jeff:

Great review. I am glad to see that you agree with me that these speakers have a great sound field to them. A lot of what you describe is what I heard myself. A great sound field and excellent imaging.

I think you will be even more impressed the more you listen to them.

Parker

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I tell you, if it wasn't for the glowing reviews from you and Parker, I'd be very skeptical of these speakers. I will say that the many people that join just to post how great these speakers seems a little too ironic. I'm glad you and Parker have reviewed them so people know they are legit. It's too bad they don't have front ported bookshelfs and a front ported center, I'd give them a try. They look like great bang for the buck and the fit and finish looks very nice.

Jason

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Jason,

I guess I can see how some can be skeptical but like you said because of myself and Parker's unbiased review, hopefully now some of you can see that these are legit speakers and not some kind of scam. The guys promoting the Premier Acoustic line of speakers are obviously just excited and confident about a very good product and want to share that with us. I told my fiancee the other day that for the money, this purchase could quite possibly be the best purchase I have ever made for my home theater and that is saying a lot. For the money you simply can not go wrong.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

That is exactly correct. I have been listening to them some more and they are really starting to come to life. They just keep getting better and better. I am really impressed with the huge soundstage and excellent imaging. On Sunday I listened to them in stereo mode all day long and I had to go up to my center channel speaker a couple of times to make sure that it was not on.

I am also very impressed with the tweeter. It is so clean and detailed.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Will do Parker.
I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple of days. Going to be a little busy tonight though. Got to take the kids trick or treating and after they go to bed, I am going to watch a couple of horror flicks.
Happy Halloween! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Jeff: Am so glad to hear you are happy. Looking forward to more comments and reaction as you continue to put them through their paces.

I just want to repeat...most skepticism in the other thread was a result of the posters and their connection to the speaker line and the way they were posting about the product rather than the product itself. Nobody here was hoping the speakers were no good. To the contrary, great-sounding, low-cost speakers are important to people like me on a budget.

Thanks for keeping us informed of your trials. Looking forward to the pix!

Hope the kids have a good Halloween.

Jrain

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Is Eric Winston of Sound Distributors (Las Vegas) the other owner of Premier Acoustics (one owner being Lloyd Winston, also of Las Vegas)?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Not yet. Soon though. That will be my next purchase. I have spoke to Eric about the subs from PA and he has sold me on them. He feels that I will be even more impressed by the subs than the towers and that is saying a lot considering how impressed I am with the towers. I told him about some of the other options that I was looking at and what I was looking for in a sub and he feels that I will be very pleased with the PA sub. I mean I have nothing to loose. If I don't like them, I'll simply ship them back.
I am going the dual sub route as well. I can pretty much get two PA subs for the price of one of the other ones I was looking at. Will post a thread when I purchase them.

By the way, I have a pair of surrounds from PA coming in this week, will post on those as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jeff: Now I think the way it works is that you either link the photos in a post...or supply the links to them so we can go see them ourselves.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have the entire 5.1 system now, just got the dual subs and center on Friday. I will be doing a seperate review of the sub and the a review of the complete set up as a whole. I will also be taking more pictures of the entire set up.
I do want to say though that I am beyond impressed with what this system is giving me. I love it. Absolutely love it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jeff: Thanks for making the pix available. (I like the shade of red you have on your wall.) Speakers look great. It's terrific that you are so happy with them. I'll also be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the subs and the complete system.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
No problem Mike. And thanks for the compliments. Will post back soon with more thoughts and pics.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
As many of you already know, I am more than pleased with the spealers from the PA line. I have now upgraded the center from the PA-6C to the PA-8C and would like to give some initial thoughts. It sounds a lot like the 6C but it is a ot richer, fuller and powerful. The added 3 inch mid range puts some punch in the midbass dept that the 6C was lacking. I was afraid that because of the bigger 8 inch drivers that the sound would become boomy or bass overbearing. I didn't find that to be the case at all. Everything that the 6C does, the 8C does better and bigger. I haven't had a lot of time with it but from the time I have spent with it, I am very pleased. I have already stressed that if you are on a budget looking for a very good home thater system, you should certainly check these out. I am thinking about adding the PA-8F's to go with the 8C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks