What's new

First Impressions of the Denon DVD3910 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

Thanks a lot for the link. Very informative. And, yes, Hampton Roads represent! ;)

Anyway, my dinosaur of a display, WS-55905, doesn't even have a DVI input. So, you might ask why I am bothering getting a Denon DVD-3910 since I am just going to be hooking it up via component over 480p? I'm just looking for a clear up grade from my Pioneer DV-47Ai in terms of the deinterlacer and video quality.

So, my main goal at the moment is to learn if this MB problem is going to be an issue for me, while I try to get caught up on all the latest hardware techno-speak. :)

Thanks again.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
MB also can occur from the component outputs.

Similarly, I'm looking to upgrade from my 47Ai to the 3910. :) Or something...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I guess I'm lucky. My humble Zenith c32v37 HD CRT tube lets me toggle aspect ratio right on it. If I get the 3910, I hope I can do like the Zenith 318 and leave it locked on 16:9 and let the TV handle it from there.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I wonder: Would I really see a PQ improvement over the Zenith 318 via DVI if I use the 3910's DVI on my HD CRT tube?

I know audio wise I'd be entering into a whole new realm even if I went for a lesser universal player than this.

Just feeling kind of mixed on this since I wonder how I'll feel when HD-DVD is out in a couple of years.

I just fear buying something that will be obsolete, although I would suspect I would use the 3910 for audio purposes for probably years to come.

Thoughts?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys.

Anyone here with a 3910 experience dts dropouts? I just played 5-10 minutes of Kill Bill Vol. 2 and had four dropout. No dropouts during the same span with DD. THX 1138 played fine last night as well, but it too is DD.

Thanks.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I believe, it would be their interest in "4x4 Off-road"!
You don't think a 'Neon or Ferrari' owner, would be interested in OR? Why not?
I for one am glad everyone does not have too pass your judgement, if they qualify too be on this (or any other) forum!
Sorry if my system isn't good enough, by your standards, too be HTF qualified. Sure glad 'the powers that be', allow for this to be an "open" forum.

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
I just bought a Denon DVD 3910 based on what I read here. The sound IS awesome, but the picture sucks! I have 2 Zenith DVB318's - one hooked to a Samsung 43" DLP and the other was replaced by the Denon on my Mitsubishi 73713. I'm using the DVI connection, and the picture on the Matrix is BAD (very grainy). Using League of Extrodinary Gentlemen which has a great transfer, the closups look good, but anyhing else is somewhat grainy also.

Can anyone give me any set up tips? My TV is verifying that I'm getting 1080i on the DVI port from the Denon.

Thanks!

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
EricRWem:

I have both players (read post above) and IMHO the Zenith DVB318 is FAR superior to the Denon on video using component connections on the Zenith. From all the threads I've read, the Zenith actually has better video through component than DVI, so I never bothered to connect it via DVI.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Wow. I'm assuming you're talking about upconverting over component on the Zenith vs. the 480p you can only get on component with the Denon 3910. I guess that scenario wouldn't surprise me.

Actually, the Zenith is technically superior over DVI vs. compnent, except for a white crush issue, which there is a firmware out now to fix that.

The Denon 3910 is a fine machine...if you can live with the Faroudja macroblocking issues and such.

Also, Ken, start with a THX Optimizer series of video tests. Many of your DVD's probably have this on them. See how calibrating your picture works with this. If this doesn't get the job done, consider Digital Video Essentials or Avia.

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
EricRWem:

Actually I was talking about upconverting over component on the Zenith vs. upconverting over DVI on the Denon! (1080i in both cases - same TV) Frankly, the Denon is going back today. It is that bad. I have, at the moment, 6 DVD players here and my Kenwood DV6050 is considerably better at just 480P. The only reason I tried the Denon is the Zenith is poor in the sound department. Can't win!:frowning:

Thanks for the tip - I might get a buddy of mine to come over with his Avia disk - he's quite knowledgable about video configs. He was also so stunned by the Denon he thought it might be defective. My arguement was if it was defective I wouldn't get a complete picture with correct colors and such at all.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'm shocked. Speechless. You really found the Zenith to do better PQ than the Denon?!?!?! Wow.

Your DLP is 720p native. For laughs, have you tried both 720p and 1080i over DVI on the Denon? Compare them?

The 720p on the Zenith isn't that great. You may want to try it, also, just for laughs.

You may seeing video noise. Conflict of interest.

Your TV has circuitry for upscaling and other things and it may be conflicting with that same circuitry in the Denon. It can happen. The Denon 3910 also does have some macroblocking issues that may or may not weight into this.

Throw the Denon on 720p over DVI and calibrate with that and see what happens. It's important usually to be mindful of native resolutions. If you throw it to 1080i, your TV will simply have an extra step to convert it 720p anyways.

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
EricRWem:

My TV does not display 720P at all. (This is my living room system which has the Mitsu 73713 - not the Samsung DLP which of course does do 720P).

So I believe I had all variables minimized as I was sending a 1080i signal updscaled through the player in both cases. With this signal coming in, my TV doesn't do anything to it. I tried both DVI and component on the Zenith, and what others on the forum reported I found to be true. The Zenith gives a slightly better picture on component than on DVI. On the Zenith with component even The Matrix looked excellent. League of Extrordinary Gentlemen was like glass.

Since my last post, I reconnected the Zenith 318 and there is simply no comparison. The Denon goes back. I may try the new Marantz DV9500 - I'm hearing it has both excellent picture and sound.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions!

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Oh! Whoops. For some reason I was thinking of that Sammy DLP. Sorry!

That's truly incredible. I know the Zenith is a solid worker over upscaled component, but these results just absolutely amaze me. Denon has some hits and misses for me, but I really am stunned that you would find the PQ on the Zenith (?!) to be this superior. I wonder what's making the difference?

If you decide to try the Martanz 9500, may I also recommend the unit I own: The Onkyo DV-SP1000. bhpoto.com and vanns.com are both authorized dealers with very good prices right now.

Just something consider as you continue on your search. ;)

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
Eureka! I found it - the ultimate DVD player! Yes, it's the Marantz 9500. Picture blew me away from the start - better than the Zenith DB318 by a wide margin. Sound rivals the Denon 3910 on movies and I believe a shade better on DVD Audio and SACD. (I understand guys are buying this unit for it's audio abilities alone.)

I can now relax and enjoy Christmas! :)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I hope you make a thread here about that Marantz 9500 and break it down for us sometime, Ken. ;)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Ken, you are a braver man than I am. Since I don't have DVI on my set, I recently picked up the Denon 2900 for the DVD Audio and Super Audio CD capabilities. What I am very impressed with is the picture improvement over my first generation Toshiba progressive scan player (circa 1999, which I spent about the same amount as the Denon), much cleaner picture, colors more solid and intense, and much better contrast ratio than the old unit. The Denon will be a good holdover until the High Def units come out over the next couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks