What's new

First Impressions of the Denon DVD3910 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd chime in here with news that my Denon DVD-3910 just shipped from Crutchfield yesterday. :emoji_thumbsup:

So, if you're having trouble finding this player, you can try there.

I'm looking forward to doing some A/B comparisons between it and my Pioneer DV-47Ai.

Later...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Paul- Please post your comparison. I have a 47ai too, but I'm holding back for ... comments such as from someone like you. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've got one arriving tomorrow as well and will be comparing it to my Zenith DVB318. Prior to the Zenith I owned a 5900, so I'm interested to see how the 3910 holds up both audio and video-wise.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes I did Kevin. My display is an ISF'd Hitachi 57SWX20B CRT RPTV, and macroblocking was visible on certain discs. Interestingly enough it was more pronounced on the DVI output (at any resolution) than when using 480p component. This was probably due to differences between the scalar in the 5900 and the one in my display. I'm *very* interested to see if the problem persists in the 3910, as the source appears to be the Faroudja FLI-2310 deinterlacer/scalar used in both players.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Kevin,

Will do.

It could be a little while though, as we have company currently, and my two year-old and 4 week-old children don't always afford me a lot of time for such indulgences. Nevertheless, I will post my thoughts as soon as I am able.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
''Has Denon ever commented publicly on this macroblocking issue? ''

No. And they didn't had to. It was a problem that was DISPLAY dependant particularly. My Denon head-rep say it was affecting under 1% of the 5900-display combinations out there, and particularly those that are not professionnally calibrated... And on around 1% of the DVD titles out there...

I know that when reading on the net it seems to be affecting all the 5900-display combinations out there because of some really vocal owners... but it's NOT. Under 1% by Denon estimation.

My dealer did sold over 50 5900, and to alot of friends and people I know (with my recommendation) and none of those 50 owners ever complained about MB.

I own 3 displays. 1 3chip LCOS projector that was calibrated by William Phelps, and 2 CRTs direct-view that were ISF calibrated. Never seen any macroblocking on any of those.

Don't believe everything you read on the net.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Levesque, just because YOU haven't personally experienced the macroblocking problem with the 5900 doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There is plenty of evidence that it is a REAL issue. Kris Deering at Secrets has seen it. Denon has been working for quite a while on a firmware fix (with Kris' assistance I might add). Maybe you should call Japan and tell them they're chasing phantoms.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I never said it wasn't an issue... it is. I'm really sad for those having the problems.

But now that you are talking about Kris Deering, you should know that he also told us on AVS that it was affecting less then 1% of the displays out there...

But people make it sound like it's affecting every displays on the planet when it's not...

Sad for those having the problems... But they represent 1% of the 5900 owners... When the other 99% are happy owners w/o any MB. It's not the other way around...

That's all. :D

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I know Levesque, Kevin Brown, and some others well from AVS. Good guys! :emoji_thumbsup:

My local retailer is a joke. MSRP, won't budge because he doesn't have to.

I'd prefer to not go gray market, but I am considering it. I'd appreciate any PM's to good, legit deals for the 3910.

I know Crutchfields is a great company and the money I would spend with them would cover a lot of intangibles. Not having to pay 7 percent sales tax and shipping is nice, too.

But, before I go to them, any hook ups would be appreciated. This units sounds like it's the new king of the hill.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Heh. I stick out like a sore thumb that much, huh? ;)

I hate to even mention this here, but we have a thread now in AVS, for those of you who don't go there, from one individual claiming he had the infamous 5900 macroblocking issue show up on his 3910, along with a grocery list of other problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=446128

There are so many problems he cited that I'm hoping/thinking/praying this man got a defective unit.

It's going to be a crying shame if that macroblocking issue has returned.

Be warned: Most of that thread is either rumor, speculation, hyperbole, or rebuttals. You'll have to read it closely to get some actual information out of it.

Hopefully, folks there, and here, can dig to the bottom of these things and find out the truth. Please!

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Well, I did get the opportunity to see in 3910 in action - great visual quality, mostly. I was watching some Sting DVD, and the background was looking pretty bad though.

But the whole 4X3 aspect ratio control thingy breaks the deal for me. It astonishes me that Denon is so inept when it comes to ergonomic matters - maybe they should buy some competitor's machines and try them out.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Yeah, can I hook up one of these fancy new DVD players up to my 19" Sansui with the RF converter I got on clearance at the Wal*Mart?

:D

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, could you expand on this a little for me?

Nevermind.

I assume you were referring to this:

11 (count 'em -- 11) remote keystrokes needed to toggle "squeeze" on/off every time the disc switches back and forth from 16:9 to 4:3 for all those DVD extra features

Levesque

Supporting Actor
For those that didn't see it on AVS, from Kris Deering today:

''I think the biggest issue with the MB problem was the display. Most plasma's are 8 bit. The 5900 provided 12 bit via component and 10 bit via DVI if I remember correctly. So the conversion in the display may be contributing directly to this. Hence the reason that some displays were unwatchable, while others could barely see it.''

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Interesting. I was about to ask how accurate the following statement would be based on the cursory reading I've done on this issue:

Most MB issues are seen using DVI in conjunction with a plasma display. Therefore, if I am using component with a RPTV, and I less likely or perhaps unlikely to see this issue?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks