What's new

First Home Theater System. Suggestions for improvement? (1 Viewer)

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Hello everyone. I'm looking to spend about $1000 for a good system. This is the system I have built. Please let me know where I can improve:

Option 1

Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 $190 (Refurb)

Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) $300

Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer $230

Logitech Harmony One $150

Either that or: Option 2

Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 $190 (Refurb)

Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Bookshelf speakers $150

Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer $230

Logitech Harmony One $150

What I was thinking was if I went with setup two, it'd save me $150 and in the future when I buy the floorstanding speakers (which I will eventually) I can just use the bookshelf speakers as the rear surround speakers. As for option one, I will just buy the surround speakers later.

Also, before I buy the second two speakers, I will buy this center speaker before: Polk Audio CS10 Black Center Speaker $90 Please let me know what you guys think of this.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Everyone is going to tell you that Polk doesn't make such great subs. The popular recommendation around here is the BIC F-12 and everyone who gets one seems to be real happy. So... you might want to think about that.

Oh, and I think that you could probably get a lower model Harmony remote for about half the price of the One, without giving up much.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you are getting 4 Monitor 40s vs 2 Monitor 60s, then I'd go with the 40s. If it's 2 each, then I think I'd just bite the bullet and get the towers now. (Those are discontinued speakers ata decent price, might as well lock them in.)

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
A local electronics store has the following combo on sale for $1000. I'm looking to buy it by tonight. What do you guys say?

It contains the following:

ONKYO TX-NR609

Klipsch SW-350

Klipsch Reference RF-52 II B Floorstanding Speaker

Klipsch Reference RF-52 II B Floorstanding Speaker

For a total of $1000 and with tax it will be about $1100. I'm looking to throw in the polk CS10 center speaker ($90) I mentioned above and a LG Harmony One remote for a grand total of $1310

Should I buy it?

Thank you!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't mix Klipsch and Polk speakers. If you get the Klipsch, then get the matching Klipsch center. The BIC sub is probably better than any other you mention. If the Klipsch sub has to be part of that deal, then jusr pass on it. Also, the proper Polk center for either the 40 or 60 is the CS1, not the CS10.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Well, I'm coming off a 2.1 system that was intended to be used with computers. The Subwoofer was I think a 1".
I was hoping this would be a good deal as it will give me a good performance. But for $1000 that includes a pretty awesome receiver with a set of front speakers that have no complaints against them from the reviews I've read, won't you agree that this is a good first step for me?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It does seem to be a good deal. Just don't get the Polk center. Get the matching Klipsch instead, even if you have to save up for it. You might consider selling the Klipsch sub and getting the BIC instead.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Just to second (or is it third) what John is suggesting... get the proper center channel speaker (Klipsch). Generally speaking, it's crucial for all three front channels to timbre-match each other (for uniform tonal qualities across the front soundstage)...

... but when you throw Klipsch speakers into the mix, it compounds the importance to astronomical proportions. Klipsch speakers have a very unique sound that NO POLK (or any dome tweeter) speaker will even come close to complementing.

The center speaker is arguably the most important speaker in a 5.1 system, as it carries virtually all of the dialog and for movies with active soundfields, will ALSO carry portions of both the left and right front speaker. Don't cheap out on it.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Hello guys. Thanks a lot for input. You've taught me a very important lesson. I spoke to the salesman regarding what you guys were telling me. He has given me the following option:

ONKYO TX-NR609 7.2

2 Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker

Polk Audio CS1 Series II

BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt

All for $1100 and for $1250 with the harmony one remote.

I'm assuming you guys would recommend this this more than the Klipcsh option?

Once again, thank you for your continued support.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm assuming you guys would recommend this this more than the Klipcsh option?

It would certainly be my choice. The BIC sub over the Klipsch sub makes it easy.

If the sub was not part of the equation it would still be my choice, and my advice for anyone who has not heard each of the speaker choices. But if you have heard both sets of speakers then the choice is more of a personal preference.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Hello,
I just bought the following speakers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290210

and subwoofer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would this receiver be okay?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IPC5FM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1J7WSBJHTGUFA
ir

It says it has a 75 watt output per channel so would my speakers be not as loud?

Edit: Fixing links

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm curious why you got the V1220 sub instead of the F-12.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Oops. I had that link saved in my clipboard and I pasted that one by mistake. I meant the F-12.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312267/receiver-suggestions

I didn't realize until now that you are running simultaneous threads on the same topic. That's in violation of forum rules, and more importantly it wastes the time of people (like me) who are trying to help you.

Sorry to be abrupt, but you are on your own.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
I'm sorry about that. I didn't start those threads at the same time. In each thread, people are offering different opinions so I didn't think the same people would read cross threads so I updated each of them. My intention wasn't to create multiple posts to get quick answers. If there is a way to delete these threads I will.
I would still like to thank you for your help and effort, though.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Dual threads are annoying, no doubt about it, but usually don't elicit such a strong reaction. Hopefully it was just a bad week for John and he'll be back. (Come to think of it, most people just passively stop posting; so he might have done future posters a favor by being blunt.)

As far as the receiver goes, yes the 25w will technically mean it won't play as loud, but there are few things to consider. First, power affects loudness logarithmically; so 25w gives you about 2 db of loudness, that is, not much (I didn't do the math, I guessed at 2). Second, wattage ratings are very imprecise, different manufacturers use different computations, so it's not really a direct comparison anyway. Third, you have a good sub, so the most stressful part of the frequency band to reproduce is being offloaded to another amplifier. Which brings up number four - it'll be plenty loud.

So pick the receiver on features or price, don't worry as much about the wattage rating.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It just happens SO often, along with people who post questions and never return. It is ironic that my criticism is about being inconsiderate, but I wish more people remembered that those who offer advice and answers are taking time out of their day to help others. Threads naturally take a certain course. Let that happen rather than starting other threads that are essentially the same thing. Remember that people are offering help and taking time out of their day to do it. It's just annoying to do that and realize you have wasted time answering multiple threads on essentially the same topic to the same person. Also, half the value of forums like this is so OTHER people can find discussions and answers later on. That doesn't work very well when one topic is spread throughout half a dozen threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks