What's new

First home theater, confused on blu ray hookup. (1 Viewer)

BdotKdotC

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Cordie
This has probably been asked and answered a thousand times but I don't know what I'm looking for so I don't know what to search for. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a decent (I think) home theatre, it was left with the house for the most part. All I had to add was the sub and receiver to get it working. The projector (Sharp XVZ10000) and speakers were all prewired and work just fine. At least they do on cable at least. When I attempt to hook up the (cheap) blu ray player via HDMI, I can hear audio but the the screen is just blue and it says "not reg". I did some googling and found a few ideas, but no fixes. The blu ray works if I don't hook up the HDMI at all and instead run a single RCA connector from the blu ray directly to the projector and another single RCA from the blu ray to the receiver. First off, I didn't think this would work with HDCP. Second off, I know I'm not getting an HD picture off of a single RCA connector, maybe 480p, but at least I can see something.

Anyone know what the deal is here? I mean, I don't understand why HDMI doesn't work, I don't understand why the blu ray player even supports video over a single RCA port, I don't understand why my receiver has a single RCA port on the back that is labeled "Blu Ray/DVD", its almost like they excepcted it to not work over HDMI. Honestly, I'm starting to think I know why the guy who I bought the house from was so willing to leave his stuff ... cause it doesn't work! At least it doesn't work right.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That is a 720p projector, it's possible you have the output on your blu ray player set to 1080p, if so that would explain the blue screen, just another idea i am throwing out there, it may well be a handshake HDCP issue, if you have a 1080p television or computer monitor then you can connect the blu ray player to it and you can check it's settings, if you can configure them like i can my Oppo then select 720p and that should fix the blue screen issue, if of course that was the problem.

BdotKdotC

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Cordie
Hooked the blu ray up via rca, got into its config menu and changed the hdmi settings from Auto to 720p. Still nothing but blue and not reg. On top of that, the cable box started acting up whenever I have an HDMI running into the blu ray. It just flips back and forth from its channel display to dvi displayed on the box. Like its trying to negotiate an operating mode or something. I honestly have no idea if that is even a thing. I end up shutting down all the equipment and only connecting the cable box and projector to the receiver via HDMI. I leave the blu ray hooked up via rca and fire everything back up, now the cable box works correctly at least. I'm not sure if I should take back this blu ray player or if this is just the final straw with this projector. Maybe its just time to take it down and put up a giant 1080p tv. Can probably get a 70 inch for 1500 these days.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BdotKdotC said:
Hooked the blu ray up via rca, got into its config menu and changed the hdmi settings from Auto to 720p. Still nothing but blue and not reg. On top of that, the cable box started acting up whenever I have an HDMI running into the blu ray. It just flips back and forth from its channel display to dvi displayed on the box. Like its trying to negotiate an operating mode or something. I honestly have no idea if that is even a thing. I end up shutting down all the equipment and only connecting the cable box and projector to the receiver via HDMI. I leave the blu ray hooked up via rca and fire everything back up, now the cable box works correctly at least. I'm not sure if I should take back this blu ray player or if this is just the final straw with this projector. Maybe its just time to take it down and put up a giant 1080p tv. Can probably get a 70 inch for 1500 these days.
Quick question, do you hook up the blu ray player directly to the projector or go through the receiver, what is the make of the cables and their length and what is the make of the blu ray player, you say HDMI running into the blu ray, do you mean out from the blu ray. ?

Try a few different things, run an HDMI cable directly from the blu ray player into the projector if you have not already and check the settings in the projector menu carefully to make sure there is nothing going on in there, try a different HDMI cable too.

BdotKdotC

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Cordie
I never thought about running it directly from the projector to the blu ray. I'll try that tonight when I get home.

BdotKdotC

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Cordie
I keep forgetting to respond to my post. Hopefully someone still sees this.

It works if I run the HDMI to DVI cable from the projector directly to the Blu Ray. It was a quick test just to confirm that I could see something but didn't attempt to watch anything so I didn't even have the receiver on. I can only assume that I'll need to run that single rca cable from the blu ray to the receiver to make my surround sound work.

Am I going to be stuck swapping HDMI hookups every time I want to watch a movie? Is there some sort of splitter or something where I can have both the cable box and blu ray connected to the same cable and just flip which one is active? I don't know if such a thing exists so I don't even know what I'd be looking for on amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks