What's new

First ever thread: will HD DVD player price drops in 2 months? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
First, welcome to HTF!

I doubt the prices will drop soon, since the HD-A1 is already half the price of the competition. I'd expect to see new players and lower prices after CES in January.

- Steve

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
The earliest I see a price drop is December/January. Keep in mind they're already losing $200-300 dollars on each unit.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I sort of doubt that the price of HD-DVD players will be dropping anytime soon. In actual point of fact the prices could be going up over the course of the next six months or so!

Check-out this little blurb announcing Lite-On's entry into HD-DVD at a "sub-one-thousand" price point:

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060710PB203.html

The fact of the matter is, the Toshiba HD-A1 is probably the current bargain of the decade. The only reason it was introduced initially at a $500 price point was due to the large advantages that Blu-ray had over the HD-DVD format at launch (including multiple hardware vendor support; more studios supporting Blu-ray exclusively; and the threat of the heavily-subsidized Sony PS3).

Toshiba had to gain some traction in the marketplace, and they had to do it fast. Introducing a $1200 player for $500, while simultaneously delivering on promises of outstanding video quality, was one way to do it.

The upshot is that first generation adopters are getting a rare bargain with this player as opposed to the more traditional "arrows in the back"!

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

Toshiba's head honchos have already come out and said that they're not taking a loss and they're in business to make a profit...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
In any event, it seems the build quality of the Toshiba HD-A1
goes beyond its $500 asking price.

I would (and have) invest in this player without hesitation.

Welcome to our forum and please let us know if and when you
purchase a player and what you think of HD-DVD. It's important
for all of us to learn off the experiences of others.

Pete T C

Second Unit

I wouldn't expect a pricedrop on standalone players until Q2 2007.

If $499 is too much for you, you might consider the $199 HD DVD addon drive for the XBOX 360 coming this fall - of course you need an XBOX 360 for that and the quality probably won't be as good as the HD-A1 since consoles generally don't look as good as standalone players.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Although I have no proof and this is strictly my opinion, I highly doubt that there will be a dramatic price reduction. It might come down $50 or something during the Christmas rush or boxing week, but I don't think there will be a significant drop in price for the Toshiba HD-A1 anytime soon.

The HD-XA1 however I think there might be a $100 price drop at least, before the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks