1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

First Day with my Mac

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Carl Miller, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Well-Known Member

I do plan on writing a full review in a few weeks but I just have to say that I think there's a very happy relationship brewing between me and my Mac.

Setting it up couldn't have been easier. It paired with my wireless mouse and keyboard flawlessly. No Windows setup routine which I recall took a really long time to sit thru last time I bought a PC. Just plugged it in, turned it on and off I went...no found new hardware dialogs, pop ups or annoyances. The printer, the external drive. They just worked.

Most amazing to me is how the Mac recognized my internet connection. All I had to do was select the type of connection that it was, unlike when I had to setup the connection on my PC which required input of dhcp client ID and some other stuff I don't remember. Amazing.

So far, I'm finding the transition to the Mac very easy. OSX is quite intuitive. I had a brief moment of confusion installing my first program (firefox) but quickly figured out what I did wrong and I didn't at first realize that closing a program window wasn't the same as quitting the program, but now I'm control+clicking my way thru open programs.

Maybe I'm just behind the times and this can be done with any old mouse, but I've never had a mouse that scrolls horizontally. Might only be new to me, but it's very cool.

Haven't installed or used any big programs yet but that's coming soon....just getting familiar with the Mac and liking it a lot so far.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Congrats! Welcome to the club! We should come up with a secret handshake. [​IMG]

- Steve

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    Nobody has taught it to you? Hmmm.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    No, but I still have a Macintosh t-shirt that an Apple rep gave me in 1984. [​IMG]

- Steve

5. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

Nice to hear you're off to a good start. If you need any help migrating your Outlook stuff to the Mac, let me know.

Yes, one of the things that's different is the closing all the windows doesn't exit the program, and for good reason. It's likely that you want to use the same application to open another file, so this avoids having to restart it. And the Mac wouldn't dare to presume to know better than you.

One of the other nice aspects is the unified launch bar/button bar. Under Windows you have separate buttons to launch applications and to switch to open applications. I never understood that. On the Mac, the idea is that you, the user, and the master, shouldn't have to worry about whether the application is running or not. You just want to use it! Let the Mac figure out whether it's running, in which case just switch to it, or not, in which case launch it.

In my experience with other switchers, 9 times out of 10 they can't figure out how to do something because they are over-thinking it, expecting it to be hard. It isn't. The Mac works just as one would naturally expect it to, easily and in tune with how people operate.

I can't wait until you discover Exposé.

(Whoa! I didn't know how to do the accent mark over the "e" so I just hit option-e, and an accent appeared, and then I hit "e". Macs are so wonderful, and that's a perfect example of how they just work the way you expect them to.)

6. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

Oren, exposé is great...useful and cool all at the same time. It does make you wonder why Microsoft didn't think of that because it's so much better than cascading open windows.

I think you're right about over thinking some things. I've been doing that a little bit but I'm quickly seeing that things are more sensible with OSX.

Now, about that handshake...[​IMG]

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Carl,

The first thing I was confused by was .dmg files.

It's almost like Windows .EXE files except that basically
    you click on the .dmg file to install and drag the program icon
    to the APPLICATIONS folder (unless it installs itself).

To uninstall a program, you just drag it to the trash can and
    it's all done. No registry to deal with.

As Oren so well pointed out, just because you close a Window,
    the application is still running. One thing you will get used to is
    the taskbar along the top pane of your computer screen. When
    you wish to quit an application you need to go to the application's
    name (listed right next to the APPLE icon on the far left) and select
    QUIT from the drop-down pane.

I think the main thing that will impress you about OSX is the
    fact that it's so simple to use. It has none of the bloated graphics
    that Windows has -- it rarely crashes -- and you don't have to mess
    with all sorts of error messages (which I have yet to see).

Please, any questions you have, post them here. These guys
    have been so helpful to me, and I would like to return the favor
    and help someone else.

I can't wait till the day you post how much you love your Mac
    and wish you had made this change sooner. I will NEVER go back
    to using a Windows based PC.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Hey Ron, a couple of things...

If only I could make that declaration--here recently at work I have been administrating, hardening, installing, and wracking my brains on Windows 2003 Server. Aarrgghh. At least I can come home to Mac.

- Steve

9. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

I used to use SuperDuper, but now my solution is to use the Backup software that came with .Mac to backup to an external hard drive (bus powered firewire 400) weekly, and critical files and settings get backed up daily to my .Mac account. Time Machine (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html), of course, will improve upon this when Leopard is released. I started backing up religiously after a near death experience.

I also have encryption turned on for my home directory, just in case my laptop should relocate without my permission. By the way, Apple's approach to encryption is much better than Microsoft's. Vista has the option to encrypt the WHOLE drive, but that's a waste. You don't need to encrypt applications. Apple's way is to encrypt your home directory, which includes your documents (including your desktop), settings, etc.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    My only concern about Time Machine is that it will
    require a crapload more hard disc storage space. Not quite
    the perfect solution, unless it enables you to backup to an
    external.

Speaking of which....

I love SuperDuper, but the problem I find is that it
    does not compress the backups.

I have a 500GB hard drive on my Mac Pro. I only have a 350GB
    external drive. When I used Windows there was a program called
    Acronis True Image that took an image of the hard
    drive, but also, I believe (and I hope I am not wrong) it compressed
    the information. If something went wrong with the computer I
    simply did a fresh install of the OS, put in a fresh copy of Acronis
    and then loaded everything up from the image.

Perhaps there is a good reason why SuperDuper doesn't
    compress the image -- even to put it on a DVD or two -- but I sure
    hate having to be faced with buying a 500GB+ drive to handle my
    Mac Pro.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    But 500 gig SATA drives are around $100--enclosures range from $30-$50...

Yes, it is an expense, but after the hassles I had this past week, well worth it.

- Steve

12. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Well-Known Member

MichaelK

FileVault is a promising technology. The problem is that home directories that are encrypted under FileVault are unfortunately very prone to data corruption. Just last week I had to recreate a home directory for someone at work after whole directories became corrupted or wiped out entirely. Thankfully we do incremental backups and I was able to recover most of his data.

13. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

It enables you to backup to an external drive. Indeed, pickup their new 802.11n wireless router (Airport Extreme), plug an external drive into it (why, oh, why didn't they use firewire? [​IMG] ), throw it in a closet, and everyone on the network can backup to it.

It will take the same amount of space as regular incremental backups, so, yes, over time it will build up. But the API enables application developers to be more efficient. For example, to go back in time through your Address Book, the Mac didn't have to backup copies of your address book over and over. Instead, the API to Time Machine makes it so just the new or changed entries get backed up incrementally, not the whole address book file. Pretty clever.

14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Thumbs up for Backup (from .Mac).

I have yet to attempt a restore, but it should work fine. It took many hours to initially back up my hard drive with its ~240 gigs of data, but the incremental that followed took moments.

If you subscribe to .Mac, Backup is a keeper.

- Steve