What's new

First Date: Do's & Dont's (Flowers?) (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have never had a problem being there to open the door for my date. I don't ever run to the car to beat her to the door either. If they beat me to it and open the door - then I let them, but...I'm usually there.

Out of the 4 women I have dated since my divorce, 3 of them told me that they weren't used to this type of treatment at all (opening car doors) and it really blows my mind that this is true.

Come on fellas...open the doors for them. Or better yet, CONTINUE NOT DOING THIS, it works out better for me :)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have never had a problem being there to open the door for my date. I don't ever run to the car to beat her to the door either. If they beat me to it and open the door - then I let them, but...I'm usually there.

Out of the 4 women I have dated since my divorce, 3 of them told me that they weren't used to this type of treatment at all (opening car doors) and it really blows my mind that this is true.

Come on fellas...open the doors for them. Or better yet, CONTINUE NOT DOING THIS, it works out better for me :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Does everyone live in a region that you can leave your car unlocked? I've never had any problem with my date opening the door for themselves because in my area you have to lock your car. I just approach the passenger door with her, get out the key or remote, unlock the door and open it. Simple as that. She then receives points if she reaches over and unlocks my side for me or better yet, opens the door.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Does everyone live in a region that you can leave your car unlocked? I've never had any problem with my date opening the door for themselves because in my area you have to lock your car. I just approach the passenger door with her, get out the key or remote, unlock the door and open it. Simple as that. She then receives points if she reaches over and unlocks my side for me or better yet, opens the door.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have a keyless entry system on my car, but I always open and hold the door for my girlfriend when she is getting into the car. Then I close the door after her before walking around to the driver's side.

As for when leaving the car, my girlfriend always beats me to opening the door.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have a keyless entry system on my car, but I always open and hold the door for my girlfriend when she is getting into the car. Then I close the door after her before walking around to the driver's side.

As for when leaving the car, my girlfriend always beats me to opening the door.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Looks like there was some confusion. I was thinking strictly of exiting the car. That gesture is definitely simpler when entering the car.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Looks like there was some confusion. I was thinking strictly of exiting the car. That gesture is definitely simpler when entering the car.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Oh my mistake, it never occurred to me. But please understand, I was raised to be a gentleman, but not a chauffeur. I can see opening her door when you enter the car, but unless I'm getting $250 an hour or she lost her hands in a bizarre gardening accident, I'm not racing around the car to open her door to let her out. She's my date, not royalty.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Oh my mistake, it never occurred to me. But please understand, I was raised to be a gentleman, but not a chauffeur. I can see opening her door when you enter the car, but unless I'm getting $250 an hour or she lost her hands in a bizarre gardening accident, I'm not racing around the car to open her door to let her out. She's my date, not royalty.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Plus she would have to expect such treatment to sit there long enough for you to open it for her. As I mentioned before I don't know any women who would do that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Plus she would have to expect such treatment to sit there long enough for you to open it for her. As I mentioned before I don't know any women who would do that.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not much of a problem if you have a voice. When you stop the car say something like "stay put, just a moment please" and then get out, walk around and etc.

That's how it's done.

Reading all the comments, I also get the impression that giving flowers is supposed to mean "more" over there in the US than it does here (in Holland we have at least one, often two or more flower shops in each shopping area, wherever). Is this true?
Here it's like a very nice gesture with (only) a slight romantic undertone. E.g. when you (alone or as a couple) have dinner with friends, you can take flowers to present to the cook (if she's a lady) when you enter.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not much of a problem if you have a voice. When you stop the car say something like "stay put, just a moment please" and then get out, walk around and etc.

That's how it's done.

Reading all the comments, I also get the impression that giving flowers is supposed to mean "more" over there in the US than it does here (in Holland we have at least one, often two or more flower shops in each shopping area, wherever). Is this true?
Here it's like a very nice gesture with (only) a slight romantic undertone. E.g. when you (alone or as a couple) have dinner with friends, you can take flowers to present to the cook (if she's a lady) when you enter.

Cees

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
OH MY GOD HE'S ALIVE!!!!!! :D You should head on over to Blu's thread and share some words of wisdom, man ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks