What's new

First Build Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
A tester will not kill a good PSU. A tester can kill a PSU that is about to die. It puts NO load on a PSU, it just triggers the ATX on and does a voltage level test. That's it.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Alright, thanks. So, is that a good PSU tester? I know zip, nada, nothing about PSU testers...

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Good news. I just put my 7600GT in another computer, and it runs fine. I didn't think it would be broken, but I just wanted to make sure.

EDIT:
I took it out. It was running VERY hot. This case has TERRIBLE cooling.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Hmm... I have found a way to test the PS without buying that tester! I have a scrap computer in my closet that I don't use, and probably never will use. Would it be a good idea to use that to test it? Instead of buying a PSU tester?

EDIT:
I tested it with that old computer. Ran fine. No smoke, fire, smell of burnt plastic. Ran better than it did with that old dusty PSU it had. So, I think the PSU is fine. It must just been that wire that came out, must have controlled something that controlled the electric current and when it was disconnected, there was nothing to regulate the current and then it fried. Thanks for the PSU tester suggestion though. :D I've been looking at cooling and performance upgrades, and will probably be putting $400+ into this in the near future. I'm discussing this on another forum, but if you want to talk about it with me, that'd be fine.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Your 7600 will run hot regardless. Actually, on the coolermaster case you're using, you should have no problem keeping that card within acceptable temps.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
No, I wasn't running it in a coolermaster. I put it in an older Compaq computer and it ran fine, but then hot air was coming out the back, I touched the gfx card (burnt my finger) turned off the computer and took it out. The only fan that Compaq has is the one in the PSU. Which is clogged with dust.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Turns out you were right, it was the PSU that was the problem... Too embarrassing to go into detail, but lets just say that the PSU claimed another life of a motherboard...

Neal_C

Second Unit
Was it another brand new motherboard? Or did you sacrifice an old mobo for the sake of testing?

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
It was an old one, but I didn't "sacrifice" it. I just used the family computer and decided to use it as the "back-up" computer until I got the motherboard back. I hooked up everything, pressed the power button, then there was silence and a slight "popping" sound from the motherboard. I put the old PSU back on, and fans spun, hard drive spun, but there was no image on the screen... Ohh well, I'll just use that old computer I have laying around, and return for replacement that coolermaster PSU...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've had power supply problems in the past (including a short that occurred when my fiance plugged in her USB memory stick & fried ~$1500 worth of new components). I will now only trust PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, and Antec. I usually go with Seasonic because they are near-silent and have enough power for most tasks. The vast majority of PC problems that people have are power supply related... this is 1 component that you should NOT skimp on (as you found out!).

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I am going to order THIS PSU as suggested by another forum on Friday. Do you think this will be a good choice? The guy from the other forum said it can run my components, and all of the upgrades I'll get over time.

Neal_C

Second Unit

I have the 600W version of that PSU and I like it so far. Had it for about a month I guess with no problems. I think it is a good choice. You could probably even save a little bit of cash and get the 600W rather than the 700W.

You can get the 600W at zipzoomfly.com for $99.90 - $10MIR = $89.90 with free ground shipping or $1.99 for 2 day Fedex. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=316504

If you want the 700W, get it at Zipzoomfly as well. $126.99 - 25MIR = $101.99 with free shipping or $1.99 for Fedex 2 day. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=316505

They are a very reputable online retailer. I ordered my PSU and some other things from them.

Be careful on the OCZ rebate. It expires tomorrow and MUST be postmarked within 10 days of your order date. I would suggest spending the $2 for Fedex 2 day so you have plenty of time to test it out and get the rebate in the mail.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'm ordering it on Friday, and I really don't care much for the rebate... I haven't sent any rebates in yet for the parts I have atm. The only one I'm going to send a rebate in is for the motherboard when it arrives back from RMA.

I like Newegg, but if it's a bunch better to get from the other one, sure I'll get it from there. I'll just have to make sure there is a rebate for it then.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I think OCZ has been renewing that rebate so there will probably be another one that goes from the 16th to the end of the month.

Newegg, Zipzoomfly, ClubIT, Mwave are all highly regarded online retailers. Just because you already bought stuff from Newegg doesn't mean you have to pay them more money. I like Newegg myself but I also shop around. No point in paying more money when you don't have to.

Why would you not send in the rebates? If you like throwing away money so much you can always send it to me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks