What's new

First BD titles to use VC1... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...or_Blu-ray/209

This comports with what industry sources were telling me a few months ago. I look forward to seeing what VC1 on BD can do... basically, aside from any "player" issues, the PQ from BD and HD DVD should be identical for most standard program titles using VC1 on HD DVD 30/BD25.

For those of you not up to speed on the history here... When Sony launched BD a few months back they hadn't gotten the authoring tools ready to enable studios to encode Blu-ray discs using VC1. That's why all the early BD discs have used (the inferior) MPEG2 video codec which is one reason why they typically don't look as good as HD DVD discs which pretty much are all using VC1 from the start (at least the discs by major studios. Rattle and Hum was AVC which is MPEG4).

The authoring tools for VC1 are now ready for BD and Warner Brothers will be releasing *** all *** of their BDs using VC1 from this point forward. Just a FYI... the authoring has been availble now for a while but the hold up with VC1 on BD the last month or so has actually been by the player manufacturers who wanted more time to test the software to ensure proper preformance with their soon-to-be-released hardware (so I've been told by industry insiders).

It will be interesting to see how this may affect the viability of Blu-ray while the BD camp works out the issues of 50 gig compatibility.

Let's keep this thread from turning into another generic format debate and try to keep posts germane to the topic of VC1 on Blu-ray.

-dave

p.s. don't let the DD+ on HD DVD versus the standard DD on Blu-ray fool you. Roger Dressler has indicated that with 5.1 tracks the 640 kbps DD on Blu-ray is basically providing the same qualtiy as 5.1 DD+ on HD DVD. The use of DD+ for 5.1 on HD DVD has to do with the way the data is packed on the disc in order to increase the bit-rate beyond the 448 kbps max-limit for DD on DVD-formatted discs. I know that's not the topic of this thread but that issue has confused many of us in the past who wondered why HD DVD was using DD+ compared to BD providing standard DD for the same titles on both formats, and according to Roger from Dolby the end result is more-or-less the same as the DD+ on HD DVD in 5.1 mode is basically providing DD quality at @ the 640 kbps rate (which cannot be encoded natively on HD DVD due to the 448 kbps limit on DD).

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Regarding your PS ...

This is confusing to me and others. I visit the Dolby site and whenever they talk about DD+ ... it always talks about 3 mbps and above ... (to a 6 mbps ceiling) . I haven't read anything there that says ... Oh yes ... DD+ is also 640 kbps as well.

Also see some reference to a 1.7 mbps ceiling on DD+ on BD ...

Is there a link that clarifies this?

Regards

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
North America, Europe and Australia release on November 14th

Behind Enemy Lines: BD-J authored, DTS HD Lossless Master Audio and MPEG-4 compression. Includes several director commentaries and HD trailers for coming BD releases.

Fantastic Four: DTS HD Lossless Master Audio, HD Trailers, HDMV authored.

Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut): 50GB dual-layer Blu-ray disc to accommodate the 3 hour 42 minute movie DTS HD Master Lossless Audio, HDMV authored.

Kiss of the Dragon: Director commentaries, HDMV authored, HD Trailers.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: BD-J authored, MPEG-4 AVC compression, special features including search index by actor/character/location and more, a first-person shooter game, up to 99 bookmarks, pop up animated trivia game and HD trailers.

The Omen (666): DTS HD Lossless Master Audio, director commentaries plus BD-exclusive pop-up trivia track The Devils Footnotes exploring the history of 666.

Speed: BD-J authored, DTS HD Lossless Master Audio, 56 category search index, Speed: Take Down Java game with six play modes and HD trailers.

The Transporter: DTS HD Lossless Master Audio, HDMV authored, director commentaries, HD trailers.

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/08/31/fox...-j-mpeg-4-avc/

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
:eek:

RonR,

wow. Lossless audio using DTS HD. Very, Very impressive. Maybe we'll finally see some BD discs that are actually worth buying!

These should look/sound as good as HD DVD given suitable playback hardware. I can't wait to see how AVC/MPEG4 looks next to VC1. Fox really seems to like using it and it seems Disney may be moving towards AVC as well.

Also very impressive Fox is using java even while the Sammy isn't ready to make use of it. IMO, it's always better to optimize the software for the future even if the hardware needs to catch up... because those discs sit on your shelf for many more years that the particular model of player that you have right now.

-dave

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
YIKES!!!
Not exactly a rousing vote of superiority for DD+ over DD, by Dolby!
In fact, he's saying there is no benefit to DD+.
So, why should anyone care about DD+?
Dolby doesn't!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I was baffled by that as well. It's possible that he's just not being comprehensive about all that DD+ can do in 5.1 mode on HD DVD... but at the very least it seems that it's current use basically providing standard DD at the 640 level. Which sounds VERY GOOD by the way!

;)

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
The Fox titles are planed to ship around the same time as the PS3, and should take advantage of whatever BD-J functionality that machine has onboard. It will be interesting to see if WB respond to Fox and start putting their IME vidoe commentaries on BD releases as well as HD DVD versions.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah, 640 is what, twice what WB used to give us on SD DVD?!?!
Maybe the + is for channels? ;-)
DD+ does 7.1 discrete.

Although, I was all hyped up about HiRez, for the sound as well as the video.

Can 640 match or better, the very best DTS LD soundtracks?
Is it as good or far better than D-VHS soundtracks?
(Anyone?)
Thanks.

I would like to ask to Roger why Dolby " web site is annoncing a minimum of 3 mbps for DD +... and a max of 6 mbps.

Sorry , but i don ' buy it !

People working at dolby saying that DD + is not better than a 640kbps DD track ! Come on !

Roger can you explain this to us please ?

That really doesn"t make any sense

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Xavior,

feel free to post questions to Roger in the thread I linked to earlier where he was discussing those matters. He seemed to be monitoring it.

DD at 640 is a higher data-rate than the max on D-VHS which was capped in the 500's. Some have stated that the subjective quality of 640 DD is better than 1500 DTS... but opinions go both ways.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As long as its close! ;-)
Thanks, DaViD.

Always respected D-VHS for setting the bar for pre-recorded home HD. As long as HD disc, continues to match or surpass it, I'm a happy camper!

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
The lack of clarification about DD+ has boggled my mind as well. Based on my understanding, it seems like the BD technology can use full bitrate DD without calling it "DD+" wheras HD-DVD, based on the technology's design needs something different to bring that data rate to 640kbps...so in this case the DD+ technology is used to accomplish it.

Regarding the up to 3Mbps...I guess the + technology is scalable...but we wouldn't know what data rate they are using on each title, would we?

David, I think you hijacked your own thread! ha hah!

Mike

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Early indications pointed to the first batch of Universal HD titles using 1.5 mbps DD+ (according to Stacy Spears at AVS). I don't see how Dolby Digital at 640kbps can sound identical to DD+ at 1.5mbps. Implementation at the studio appears to be the key here. A discussion and comparison of Warner titles only might not be the best indicator. I for have really enjoyed all the DD+ soundtracks I have heard thus far. And I will judge DD on Bluray when I jump into that.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I really don't give a flying fig about DD+. Bring on the high resolution lossless instead!!

Fox seems to be up to the task.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks