What's new

Firmware v2.0 now available -- adds TrueHD 5.1, fixes 720p output (1 Viewer)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Ron, if you already Referenced Calibrated your Audio for Analog (see ** below), ... that should be it.

Check your Other Audio Settings, here's what worked for my setup:

AUDIO:
Digital out SPDIF = PCM
Digital out HDMI = AUTO
Dynamic Range Control = OFF
Dialog Enhancement = OFF
Speaker Setting = 5.1**
-- Speaker Size: SMALL
-- Distance: Set Speaker vs. sweet spot via tape measure
-- Subwoofer Crossover Frequency: 120Hz (my Yamaha has a fixed 90Hz xover)

** The Reference Audio Calibration that I performed earlier using the Toshiba Internal 5.1 Test Tones did not require any changes for TrueHD! (verified w/Digital Video Essentials 5.1 Test Tones)

Phil

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, the only setting I had to change was the
Digital Output SPDIF from Bitstream to PCM.

Gonna try Phantom Of The Opera and get back to you.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

GREAT!

FYI: My usual -10 dBc below REF Level (approx 105-106 dBc Fast LFE Peaks) Volume Control Display = -19.5 dB to -22.5 dB / depending on the the HD DVD.

Volume Control Display DD+ Example:
1) Sahara = approx. -21.5 dB
2) Ray = approx. -19.5 dB
3) Serenity = approx. -22.5 dB
4) Bourne Supremacy = -21.0 dB

For "The Phantom of the Opera" TrueHD, my Volume Control Display = approx. -9.5 dB.

It's no problem for any well-designed AV Receiver with >75 dB S/N Ratio, because you will not hear any HISSSSSsssss during the quiet moments of any HD Movie.

Have fun,
Phil

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I upgraded my firmware via rapidshare to CD-R (no broadband) and watched Apollo 13 afterwards with no hiccups. The only pause I had was after the firmware updated itself from the disc, the tray ejected and the unit powered down. I removed the disc and powered the unit back up. The disc tray closed and the player froze at the welcome screen and stayed there for a good 10 minutes. I had to unplug the player from my line conditioner and reboot it to get it to work, but it plays fine now.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
good question.
i have it set to pcm. watching sky captain and it shows dts as the audio track on the info screen

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just picked up my HD-A1 today and set it up. And I downloaded the firmware update 2.0firmware.nrg. Is it supposed to be converted to a iso file inorder for it to work? And is Nero the only way to get it to work. I downloaded the trial ver of ISO Magic 4 and am having problems. If I can just burn it as is then I can update other wise I could use some help. If I have to I will wait for the official update disc from Toshiba and just hope I dont have any serious issues before then.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I believe here is a trial version of Nero. I have always used Nero to burn the file. In Nero you select "Burn image to disc". Other programs/utilities should also work.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Does this update improve any of the unit's other operations, like the start-up or response times? Does it correct the HDMI handshake issues? Anything besides the upgraded audio?

Mark

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

It fixes the 720P picture quality issue. Some say it fixed the hdmi problem with the Samsung HLS series displays and some report they now get BTB on their displays. My startup time went from 70 seconds from on to an open tray to 45 seconds (25 seconds to the welcome screen and 20 seconds to open the tray).

Mark_TB

Second Unit
It's good to hear that the start-up time is decreasing. Forgive my ignorance, but what does "BTB" stand for?

I had picked up a HD-A1 a few weeks ago, but ended up taking it back. I was becoming frustrated with the start-up time, the HDMI handshake problem (whenever I changed the input on my Sony 34XBR960, the player read it as an HDMI disconnect and the disc would restart anew), and the lack of currently available titles. (The final straw was watching VAN HELSING. I was forcing myself to keep watching it, even though I couldn't stand it, just because it was in HD.) Obviously, this last complaint will be rectified over time.

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be an early adopter. But a local store now has the HD-A1 on sale for $431.00 with a 30-month, no-interest special that has me reconsidering. If my first two complaints have been addressed, I just might give it another try.

Mark

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I don't think the problem you had with losing hdmi when you switched inputs is going to be fixed with any firmware update. The Toshiba looks for an active hdmi input to do a handshake with so when you switch inputs on the display it just sees an inactive input. Some have got around this issue by either going to a hdmi equipped receiver or using a hdmi switch before the display. I don't have the problem as I feed the Toshiba to a Panasonic hdmi receiver first then onto my display.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Exactly, Robert. I think that HDMI "handshake" issue vis-a-vis the player generating an error when you switch inputs is a function of the new HDCP landscape, not a player fault--at least unless and until an HDMI receiver is in the path.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I am using strictly an HDMI output into my HD monitor. If the display on the machine says 1080 and I put in a SD DVD the display still says 1080. At what resolution is the SD DVD actually playing?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Key I own a Sony HDTV and I get the same thing. The TV displays what ever it is recieving. My tv says 480p via component and 1080i via hdmi input. So I believe that the HD-A1 is upconverting it to 1080i. I am working on updating my firmware as I just brought my player home yesterday. So far I am very impressed with the video quality especially when I put in the SD-DVD and it never looked so good. The HD-DVD's look great so I cant wait for better titles to come out.

Anyway I hope that answered your question, if I was incorect please let me know.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
That is amazing if it is upconverting to 1080! I have found however a few SD dvds that look a bit blurry.
Criterion discs look awesome!!!!

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
OK.... I caved. Just got my HD-A1 player yesterday, and watched my first HD-DVD today: U-571. First impression... WOW! I do not have the update yet (waiting for the disc; no way to connect player to the internet for download). I am really hoping that the 2.0 update completely does away with the freezing/audio problem. About 3/4 through U-571, the player froze for about 5 seconds before resuming without any sound. It then froze/restarted a couple of times more, then finally restarted with sound. I know many people had playback problems similar to this with the original firmware, but I thought that was completely solved with the 1st firmware upgrade (v1.2?). Anyway, I am hoping it is a problem that will be solved with 2.0. My player was made August 2006, and has firmware version 1.4.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I posted the following over at AVS but wanted to do the same here. Just wandering if anyone has experienced this or heard about this problem here. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

I need some help with a problem I maybe having. While watching Sahara today I notice a weird sound coming from the center channel that I do not remember hearing before the 2.0 update. It happens right as the guy falls and hits the mirror after being pushed off the solar tower by Dirk near the end of the movie. It's the sound that accompanies the guy crashing into the mirror. It also happens a few seconds later just as the fire starts up in the solar plant. It sounds like the center channel is being over driven (kinda crackling or garbled noise) but, it happens at very low and high volumes. Sorry but, thats the best way I can think to describe it. It's not my speaker b/c I switched speakers and the sound is still there. It happens on both the SPDIF and analog connections (DD+ and/or DTS as well). I'm hoping it is just the film mix but, I don't remember hearing it before the 2.0 update. Just wandering if some who also owns Sahara could check and see if the hear a similar sound. Has anyone else heard of any center channel problems with 2.0?

Users who are viewing this thread