What's new

Firmware 2.0 to enable TrueHD5.1 (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Maybe I will have to contact Toshiba. I have had audio drop out every time I try to use a True HD track.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Are you sure its a dropout? It could be your receiver cutting out to protect itself and the speakers...?

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I'm using the analog outputs and everything is still out of sync when I use True HD5.1. I've tried turning off the Dialog enhancement on my RCA HD-DVD player but that still does'nt help. I've tested it on "Phantom of the Opera" and "Constantine" and they are both off. I used the Toshiba 2.0 upgrade on my RCA because they are basically the same machine.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I am sure because I do not have the volume up and if I switch to DTS or Dolby Digital Plus the sound come back instantly. I can hear the difference between Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital Plus. So there is a big difference in sound but DTHD cuts out. I doubt it would over load the analog inputs. I am using a Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 surround reciever and I use two audio conections from my Toshiba HD-A1. I use the 5.1 analog output and the fiber optic output for when I am not selecting Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby True HD.

I was considering purchasing a 2nd generation HD-DVD player with 1080p / HDMI 1.3. But I will most likely put that $1k into a Sony or Pioneer Bluray player instead. I also want to wait and see what the build quality is on the new $1k HD-DVD player.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Well, just in terms of the quality of the electronics and overall build quality, it's unlikely anything will outdo the HD-XA1 from what we've seen of it's internals, even for $1,000. :)

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

Was this DD TrueHD dropout with one movie or several? If one, which one? I've not read about a similar problem in any of the Forums that carry threads for the 2.0 update.

I read that DD TrueHD for "Phantom of the Opera" is not as dramatic as for "The Perfect Storm". This would indicate that there are quality issues for the studios in creating the new audio tracks and, that being so, there could be a movie with defective DD TrueHD tracks.

If the dropout problem takes place for 2 or more movies with the DD TrueHD 5.1 audio, I would process the 2.0 update once again in case the upgrade from 2 channel to 5.1 for DD TrueHD was not accomplished correctly.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
'Is it unreasonable to hope that they will correct the low LFE issue some people are experiencing with this firmware update? "

Im connected through coxial and though it was low. I had to turn my woofer up for HD movies and down for SD

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have had audio dropouts with the following movies:

Perfect Storm
Constinetine
Training Day
Troy

I hope I can get this problem worked out because the audio has never droped out on SD-DVD's or HD-DVD when Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus or DTS is selected.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
reinstalled firmware update 2.0 and played Troy in Dolby True HD and so far no drop outs. I will try other Dolby True HD titles to see if the problem has gone away.

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Finally, after receiving Toshiba's e-mail 22 days ago, the 2.0 disk has arrived. I have watched parts of The Perfect Storm and the Phantom of the Opera, and yes, there certainly is a difference in the True HD tracks. I don't think it is in quality, however; the Phantom is simply a quiter movie and doesn't demonsrtrate the format that well. The True HD track in the Perfect Storm is much more dramatic. Up to this point I have had no LFE issues, in fact. one part of the Perfect Storm sent my dog heading for the porch. I'm using a Denon receiver set on 6 Channel External through the analogue cables. Since I got the A1 a few months ago, I haven't even connected the digital coaxial input. No need, the analogue option is far superior. I'll be on the lookout for sound drop-outs this weekend.

Steve

Shaun

Second Unit
I received my firmware upgrade disc a couple of days ago and installed it successfully. First movie I tried was Troy and noticed a significant improvement. Not just with Bass which was tighter and improved, but also tiny details and surround panning. Definitelly, thumbs up. Next disc I tried was the recently released End of Days. Another significant improvement over the DD+ which actually sounded lower, requiring me to higher the volume. The TrueHD was louder and bass was more impressive. The last one I tried for the night was The Perfect Storm and the difference for this wasn't as great as I had hoped, actually, I couldn't tell a difference between the DD+ and TrueHD tracks. Detail was the same and the Bass was the same, maybe even less powerful on the TrueHD in some scenes, though maybe I was just too tired to focus at that point. Who knows.

A concern I have though is that my player seems to hiccup a lot more recently. Picture stutters, audio dropouts and freezing due to chapter skips has become bothersome. I don't think this was caused due to the firmware upgrade as I had notice it before on both Troy and Serenity. I will try unplugging the machine tonight for a while and then try the movies again to see if the issues remain. If so, I'm hoping this is something that a future upgrade can resolve.

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
Shaun,

It would be useful to know what kind of receiver you have and if you are connected via HDMI or analogs.

Perhaps you could find time to complete your signature file in your profile and list your components. You see, for many of us, the HD-A1 works well with FW 2.0 or without.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I got my 2.0 update but Im afraid to do it.

Anyone else HDMI>DVI and do the update?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have used the Toshiba 2.0 update and it worked nicely. I would not be concerned about applying the update at all. I have not seen any negative problems because of the update. Just once you put the disc in do not power the unit off until the update is done. Once it is done it will actually shut off the player itself. You might have to turn the player off once after power up if there is a hick up but after that its golden.

I have not been a big Dolby guy and I think the DTS pic under my name kinda gives it away. :laugh: But so far I am very impressed with Dolby True HD its making a believer out me. I hope to see more Dolby True HD titles come out though as there are few titles out that use Dolby True HD.

Shaun

Second Unit
mfabien:

I have updated my signature with my equipment info. I have the HD-A1 connected via component cables. Audio is connected via both digital fiber-optic as well as analog interconnects for DD+ and TrueHD.

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

I take that picture and audio problems were present before update 2.0 was done. I would call Toshiba support and see what they have to say.

Could be a blue laser read problem... some particle of foreign matter interfering with the read, for instance.

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
JonZ:

I own a Toshiba 42HDX82 tv HDMI>DVI. No problems. Originally, I used a HDMI>DVI ADAPTER>TV. With that, I was getting occasional minor video dropouts. I changed to a SHORTER HDMI>DVI dedicated end, and the dropouts disappeared. The True HD is great.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks